Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hetzner, OVH and kimsufi which one is better for webhosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

hetzner, OVH and kimsufi which one is better for webhosting?

considering about price, stable, and speed.
I have a website with traffice about 50K IPs per day.
now using KS4C, seems the mysql and php make CPU always 100%
so now considering to move it to a better server.
if budget is about $60-80.
hope to receive ur advice
thanks

Comments

• None of them are specifically better than the other unless they offer better CPU's, just look on both websites and see which is better, quicker than asking us.

• Nickman said: using KS4C, seems the mysql and php make CPU always 100% so now considering to move it to a better server

better optimise your stack and/or code ...

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • Seems like you need to optimize your code and add more cache layer ..

• What are you running right now, LAMP, LEMP, wordpress, magento, php7? You are likely yo get away with optimizations rather than new hardware

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

Buy a server with Xeon 1245v2 it will be on ok. For sites a good server.

I personally have large sites with the same attendance.

I use the server: Xeon E3-1245v2 3.4 GHz+ (4c / 8t) 32 GB 2 x 2 TB SATA3 Soft

• @vovler said:
    What are you running right now, LAMP, LEMP, wordpress, magento, php7? You are likely yo get away with optimizations rather than new hardware

it's php 5.3 and fastcgi

• @Vova1234 said:

what's the price?

• @Falzo said:

Nickman said: using KS4C, seems the mysql and php make CPU always 100% so now considering to move it to a better server

how to optimise? I'm not good at this.

@Nickman said:

@Vova1234 said:

what's the price?

37 eur. SoYouStart server.

• @Vova1234 said:

@Nickman said:

@Vova1234 said:

what's the price?

37 eur. SoYouStart server.

I always wonder, what's IO on that disk? On soft raid 0 or 1 or no raid at all

• vovlervovler Member
    edited December 2017

@Nickman said:
    it's php 5.3 and fastcgi

Could you please continue? Nginx or Apache? Custom-coded website or CMS (if so, which one, wordpress, magento,...)

MySQL version? Do you use memcached? What OS are you running?

But out of what you have said until now, php 5.3 was released at 30 June 2009, it's old, and if your code allows it, upgrading to php7 would already be a 2X improvement.

• First thing to look at is the mysql slow query log. Lots of the time, these problems can be fixed by adding an index or two here or there.

edited December 2017

qtwrk said: I always wonder, what's IO on that disk? On soft raid 0 or 1 or no raid at all

I do not know what kind of IO. I never measured it. There Raid 1, there can not be set 0 with the installation of the OS.
    Just bought and use.
    PHP 5.6, Apache backend, Nginx frontend, MySQL.

CMS: DLE aka Data Life Engine.

• First step, upgrade 5.3 to PHP 7.
    Check your code compatibility with PHP7CC

• I adore how random people are giving @Vova1234 advice. Hey, Vova, wanna help me succeed in reselling services? I could use an income. :D

• @WSS said:
    I adore how random people are giving @Vova1234 advice. Hey, Vova, wanna help me succeed in reselling services? I could use an income. :D

Can you quote who gave Vova advice? I don't see it in this thread.

• @Yura said:

@WSS said:
    I adore how random people are giving @Vova1234 advice. Hey, Vova, wanna help me succeed in reselling services? I could use an income. :D

Both Nickman and Vova are running an older PHP 5 installation- the suggestion was made to upgrade to 7, without directly stating who. Hence, it can be taken that it's given as a general response, Yurabot.

• @WSS said:

@Yura said:

@WSS said:

Both Nickman and Vova are running an older PHP 5 installation- the suggestion was made to upgrade to 7, without directly stating who. Hence, it can be taken that it's given as a general response, Yurabot.

Ah, reading between lines again. Gut, gut.

Yurabot? That's so sweet, reminds me of mom, no one called me Yurabot, except her <3

• Use Kimsufi for production, cannot go wrong.

• @Nickman said:

@Falzo said:

Nickman said: using KS4C, seems the mysql and php make CPU always 100% so now considering to move it to a better server

how to optimise? I'm not good at this.

hmm, there is no step by step tutorial for this because it simply depends on individual situation and configuration. if you can't do it yourself, that's not a shame, but I suggest involving/paying someone who can. that money most likely is better spent than simply burning it for new hardware.

the i5 with 16GB should be quite a lot power already to throw at a single webpage...

I doubt more CPU power will last long or really help you with your issue, you really would first need to analyse what's the cause. as others mentioned a more uptodate version of everything might be the first step. other things also might help, like putting a reverse proxy in front of apache (if you're even running that) to deliver static content without php.
    or check your shop software for bad extensions running frequent json request causing high payload etc.

• i5+16GB can easily handle millions of requests per day if not more. You better take a look at htop and see who is using most of the CPU, is it MySQL or PHP? Or even web server?

• @msg7086 said:
    i5+16GB can easily handle millions of requests per day if not more. You better take a look at htop and see who is using most of the CPU, is it MySQL or PHP? Or even web server?

He mentioned both. But he doesn't understand anything about optimization, and somehow he is running PHP 5.3. When was the last time did it come 'pre-installed' in a LAMP/LEMP stack or in a tutorial online.

Seems to me that he found a really old tutorial online and just rolled with it, or that he paid someone on fiverr or the cheapest indian guy on freelancer to get the work done for him.