Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for Tor Relay
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for Tor Relay

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited September 2013 in Requests

I'm extremely bored right now, and i want to get to know a bit more about TOR once again

I'm looking for a few VPSs (2 or 3 small ones, ~200gb traffic) on which i can run/host a Tor Relay (I know, no exit node)

Any hosts on here who allow relays?

Comments

• are you sure that's wise? knowing all this nsa and hacking stuff. and what happened with William From Edis

• 200GB is a bit less traffic, isn't it?

What happened with William? @TarZZ92

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2013

@TarZZ92 he specifically said "no exit node", do you even read?

@joodle 200GB is on the low side for Tor, the only explanation I imagine why you would specify such a low b/w amount, is that maybe you're looking to spend like $1/month or less on this?

If your budget is a bit higher, I am going to recommend DigitalOcean, they have no problem with Tor relays (except on "grandfathered" old accounts), and not even with let's just say "higher than average" CPU load that Tor generates these days because of the botnet invasion. $5/month for 1TB bandwidth.

• @rm_ said:
    TarZZ92 he specifically said "no exit node", do you even read?

Not going to get in an argument. but i would strongly suggest against using tor. especially considering now we know what isp's/nsa etc can do.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2013

i would strongly suggest against using tor. especially considering now we know what isp's/nsa etc can do.

I strongly believe it is because of the NSA spying scandal, that we must learn about ways to protect our privacy and anonymity, to be able to do so whenever we need to; e.g. see http://prism-break.org/ ; and to support decentralized encrypted networks like Tor (and Freenet, I2P, etc). And no, it has not been proven by anyone that Tor itself is flawed/broken; all we had so far is just overly broad and vague FUD against it; maybe circulated because Tor does indeed work, and that's exactly why "they" want you to give up on it and don't use it.

• @TarZZ92 said:
    are you sure that's wise? knowing all this nsa and hacking stuff. and what happened with William From Edis

Just read that, it's ridiculous that authorities can do this to someone in the UK. Just because some people abuse the system doesn't mean it should be outlawed all together. It's just lazy police not willing to do the hard work and instead just shutting down everything that might be used to commit a crime, even though 95% of the traffic will be perfectly legal and even good considering the dangerous behavior of the UK and US Governments.

• @sc754 said:
    Just read that, it's ridiculous that authorities can do this to someone in the UK.

Are you referring to @William? If so, he's from Austria

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

We allow them

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2013

I could recommend RamNode/Shardhost/Fliphost and Iperweb/Prometeus for Tor Relays.

• @rm_ said:
    joodle 200GB is on the low side for Tor, the only explanation I imagine that you would specify such a low b/w amount, is maybe you look to spend like $1/month or less on this?

I'm looking to spend no more than around $3 per VPS

@Infinity580 said:
    I could recommend RamNode/Shardhost/Fliphost and Iperweb/Prometeus for Tor Relays.

I will check them out :)

• I know RamNode does allow it, I think Prometeus is pretty good because of the bandwith. Currently running my Relay on a OVH dedicated but it just doesn't want to go above 2MB/s. Also ran it on a DO vps with some unused credits.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited September 2013

@trexos said:

What happened with William? TarZZ92

A bunch of police guys raiding my flat and my workplace, confiscating things, not returning them for a year (and break some of them), keep encrypted hardware indefinitely, monitor my internet + phone + me + friends outside, charge me 20k+EUR for the 'analysis' and now trial me for images from caches/'unused' sectors that display clearly 18+ persons that 'could look younger than 18'....

Seriously, don't run exit if your country is full of bs.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2013

All countries are full of it.

Leaving this aside, any provider which does not oversell traffic so bad that a few ppl using it would tip the scale should be OK with relays. We allow them on non-biz plans because we need to be sure biz plans can burst very close to 1 gbps when needed, not for other reasons. Besides, who would pay premium for running Tor relays but just to make sure.
    Do as I do, where Tor is forbidden and the deal is really good, run freenet. Will not be easy on the disk and memory, but since they do not feel like offering the traffic they advertise, at least use the other stuff.

• @William said:
    Seriously, don't run exit if your country is full of bs.

Hope it all goes right dude.