Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Password management tools for fucking idiots
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Password management tools for fucking idiots

I’m look to treat myself to a password management system this Xmas, so friends and family can stop locking themselves out of shit and needing me to help them recover stuff. Lots of options, not sure what works best.

What I need:

The ability to have multiple, segregated accounts - at least 5. Sharing a single vault would be a nightmare.

Replication across multiple devices for each account.

Browser plugins.

iOS, Android, Windows/OSX compatibility

And most of all, it needs to be really fucking easy to use, so I can throw it at folks who are just about able to use a tablet and let them get on with it.

Any recommendations? I personally like Dashlane’s interface, but it doesn’t appear to allow for multiple accounts.

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

You're describing 1Password

Thanked by 1adly
  • LastPass and/or RoboForm hosted. I gave up LastPass the last time they got owned, and have made due with keepassxc+Keepass for Chrome. The later lets you auth and use a db on your GDrive, so it makes it easier to segregate that way.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • @Clouvider said:
    You're describing 1Password

Before this thread that’s pretty much where I was headed, but I wanted to get a few opinions before pressing the button on a yearly commitment.

@WSS said:
    LastPass and/or RoboForm hosted. I gave up LastPass the last time they got owned, and have made due with keepassxc+Keepass for Chrome. The later lets you auth and use a db on your GDrive, so it makes it easier to segregate that way.

Have you used RoboForm? Is it as slick as 1Password?

• Definitely 1Password. Totally worth it.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • $36 per year when there are free hosted and free open alternatives? What makes it worth it?

• LastPass is the best.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Yura said:
    $36 per year when there are free hosted and free open alternatives? What makes it worth it?

Integrates well. Synchronises well. @Nekki wants to share with non-it-pros, meaningthe easier and more automated, more out of the box, the less he will have to get involved. $36 is not much for the privilege of being left alone :).

• @Nekki said:
    I’m look to treat myself to a password management system this Xmas, so friends and family can stop locking themselves out of shit and needing me to help them recover stuff. Lots of options, not sure what works best.

What I need:

The ability to have multiple, segregated accounts - at least 5. Sharing a single vault would be a nightmare.

Replication across multiple devices for each account.

Browser plugins.

iOS, Android, Windows/OSX compatibility

And most of all, it needs to be really fucking easy to use, so I can throw it at folks who are just about able to use a tablet and let them get on with it.

Any recommendations? I personally like Dashlane’s interface, but it doesn’t appear to allow for multiple accounts.

The best option is find new friends and buy your family a notebook to write their passwords down?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I use LastPass and prefer it over the others, but I don't know about having multiple vaults/users on a single account.

• @Yura said:
    $36 per year when there are free hosted and free open alternatives? What makes it worth it?

$36 a year is peanuts if I don’t have to spend a couple of hours a month unfucking stuff for folks. It’s no more than two weeks worth of coffee in the morning.

@needavps said:
    The best option is find new friends and buy your family a notebook to write their passwords down?

I like your creative thinking, but i’m quite attached to the friends and half the point of this is to stop my Mum writing down important stuff in a notebook.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

There is another option: Break down in front of them and just dash out.

They will leave you alone, most likely.

• 1Password is great. I've got a family account, it's sweet.

• I like Enpass, but it charges per platform (one time).

Locally stored passwords but can be synced. No multiple vaults though.

• LeeLee Veteran

I have been looking at 1password as well, still to decide. I am getting too old to just use "letmein" as my password for everything. To be fair it's worked for the last 25 years.

• eastoncheastonch Member
    edited December 2017

Have to reccomend Dashlane, it's a premium solution (for all features) but has support for teams & families. It's a pretty good solution, works cross platform etc. I personally use LastPass as my personal solution but frankly I find it tedious and the Android app just gets in my way by default.

• WSS said: keepassxc+Keepass for Chrome

Self-hosted KP compatible manager
    https://github.com/keeweb/keeweb

Thanked by 4MasonR bersy ehab jaden
  • +1 for keepass/keepassxc/keeweb

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited December 2017

@saibal said:

WSS said: keepassxc+Keepass for Chrome

Self-hosted KP compatible manager
    https://github.com/keeweb/keeweb

+1 for KeeWeb. Been using that for a good while now with the db file synced via NextCloud.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • Try out bitwarden. It can be self-hosted if you want.

Ive been trying it for a few days. The only negative so far is no desktop clients. But the mobile and browser clients/plugins work a lot better than current keepass solutions.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

KeepassXC + KeePassHttp-Connector should be noob proof

I mean, some months ago I've presented it to a 65+ yo lady whom kindly asked me how to use a laptop to message with her daughter and she totally got the gist of it

She doesn't use a smartphone so that remove iOS & Android from the equation

MasonR said: synced via NextCloud

syncthing here

• Just to re-affirm my cool-kid credentials, i’m more than happy with my own Keepass + SpiderOak combo, but i just don’t want to have the fixing of things on my shoulder if something goes titsup.>

@eastonch said:

Have to reccomend Dashlane, it's a premium solution (for all features) but has support for teams & families. It's a pretty good solution, works cross platform etc. I personally use LastPass as my personal solution but frankly I find it tedious and the Android app just gets in my way by default.

I looked at Dashlane and it suggested there was just one vault and you share out the bits you want to share, which doesn’t work for me - can you have entirely separate ‘vaults’ ala 1Password?

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I've used 1Password on Mac, Windows, and iOS for a couple years (with Dropbox sync). Never had an issue.

They've changed to subscription pricing I think...? I emailed a nasty gram to their CEO, who replied back apologetically but was unclear on whether it's a permanent change. I think you can still buy the product as a product and not a subscription, but I'm not sure.

I wouldn't buy it as a subscription, but that's probably just me.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/109035/1password-s-gone-bad-recommendations

I never liked LastPass, and I doubt they got better when they were acquired. Oh, and they were sphincter-plowed semi-recently, weren't they?

• @raindog308 said:
    I've used 1Password on Mac, Windows, and iOS for a couple years (with Dropbox sync). Never had an issue.

They've changed to subscription pricing I think...? I emailed a nasty gram to their CEO, who replied back apologetically but was unclear on whether it's a permanent change. I think you can still buy the product as a product and not a subscription, but I'm not sure.

It’s a sub if you want to use it the way I want to, but it’s cheap enough. I wasn’t keen on forking out for OneDrive, but it’s saved me so much aggravation over the last few years.

• raindog308 said: I think you can still buy the product as a product and not a subscription, but I'm not sure.

Indeed you can - at least for macOS and iOS.

1Password for Families is $5/mo for 5 people, and it has personal vaults etc.

I never liked LastPass, and I doubt they got better when they were acquired. Oh, and they were sphincter-plowed semi-recently, weren't they?

Indeed they were. And once before that, too.

• @Nekki said:
    Have you used RoboForm? Is it as slick as 1Password?

Yes, and no, respectively.

• MadSpriteMadSprite Member
    edited December 2017

Anything "hacker" god Tavis Ormandy has poked at and had a good response from the developer is good enough.

People leaving Lastpass because someone stole their email database usually don't understand the security risk of what happened.
    Lastpass has seen the most scrutiny from Tavis so it's relatively secure now.
    Keepass has only been audited for version 1.4, so there's no way to justify how secure it is. Its password autotype from the official app (Windows/Wine only) are more secure than any autofill. All other keepass apps and plugins are made by third parties and may contain more bugs and exploits than the big password vault players.

Big players are: Lastpass, 1password, and Dashlane.
    KeePass is only safe if you use the official binary and no plugins, but there is no convenience through that.

• Take a look at Sticky Password - https://www.stickypassword.com/

Here's $29.99 USD Lifetime Subscription deal: https://stacksocial.com/sales/sticky-password-premium-lifetime-subscription-2

• @wa44io4 said:
    Take a look at Sticky Password - https://www.stickypassword.com/

Here's $29.99 USD Lifetime Subscription deal: https://stacksocial.com/sales/sticky-password-premium-lifetime-subscription-2

Hmm...I’m dubious of anything that’s ludicroously cheap compared to the competition, and I also don’t trust anything when the first recommendation you see is from the owner of ‘Crepe Guru’.

• @Nekki said:
    Hmm...I’m dubious of anything that’s ludicroously cheap compared to the competition, and I also don’t trust anything when the first recommendation you see is from the owner of ‘Crepe Guru’.

Well cheap doesn't have to be always bad ... we are on LET, don't forget it :D
    I have so far enjoyed how it does everything and also the support ...

• My fucking idiots (and myself) get along very well with 1Password.

Thanked by 1Nekki