Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Provider with under the radar IP addr
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Provider with under the radar IP addr

wdogwdog Member
edited December 2017 in Requests

Hi,

I have a vultr instance (in the NJ location) set up with openvpn server, and I use it exclusively to send all traffic from my home router (a homebuilt linux box) through it to the Internet. The idea is to take potential ISP spying/meddling out of the equation. Works perfectly, super reliable, fast, never down, I'm very happy with vultr, been using it for 1.5 yrs.

I also have a small instance from provider #2, an excellent canadian provider, setup as an openvpn server and I use that as needed from phones or other machines, but not for my home router. Tremendous provider, reliable, all around great value.

In the last 3-4 weeks, it appears that some online retailers (Macys, Bloomingdales, Target) are blocking the vultr ip. Also, Amazon prime video reports an http proxy error when trying to access the service from the vultr server as vpn. Ditto Netflix. I am the only one using the IP addr, it's not a shared ip addr like from a commercial vpn service, but I suppose it's on their radar as not a true residential ip. When I disconnect the home router from the vpn, all works fine as I am seen with a verizon fios ip address.

Any US providers have ip ranges under the radar for this type of block? I live in the US and am not trying to defeat any geoblocking. I'm entitled to all of this content as a paying Amazon prime subscriber and someone located in the US. Just they are keying on a known IP range.

My canadian provider is NOT blocked from the retailers, so I know they are not identified as a known "proxy" ip address.

Maybe a smaller vps provider? But I need it to be a rock solid, reliable connection if I am to link my home router connection to it 24/7.

Thank in advance for any recommendations or insight.

Comments

• Nope they block the whole datacenter ranges. Anything you get will either be blocked or get blocked.

Best bet get a VPN service that specializes in these types of things. That way they have a vested interest in keeping the IPs off those lists.

• Too easy to look up ASNs, grab the blocks and put it into a block list. I bet somebody offers this service to sites.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@doughmanes said:
    Too easy to look up ASNs, grab the blocks and put it into a block list. I bet somebody offers this service to sites.

That's a good way to make some easy money..