Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where to host Solus VM Master
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where to host Solus VM Master

Hi guys,

I need to host my solus VM master somewhere safe. Can you provide me options.
Places that can be secure and take up some random attacks - i heard people keep sending DDOS to such situations.

Thanks

Comments

• I'd say host it close to your infrastructure, put a proxy / tunnel in some other (DDoS protected) place.

• Do you want us to run your company for you? We should all start charging for the advice you ask on a daily basis.

• @MrObvious, I have multiple choices, am confused, I hope providers help others learn from the mistakes they already might have made.

• I'd get a small dedi in the same data center you host the other one in.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2013

Small dedi or host on your own node, do not put your WHMCS install on someone else's service as you cannot guarantee the security of it, OpenVZ is the least secure thing in the world for WHMCS and Xen+KVM can be LV snapshot, so dedi or your own VPS is my advice as a host.

What is your estimated launch date? or do you need to ask us that too? mwhahaha ::troll::

• @AnthonySmith : If I host on my own VPS - the problem is - I will never be sure of a DDOS attack on the solus host may turn all guests down. Do you understand that ? It can be a big problem.

I understand that but I assure you if your node is being attacked that is not your first concern. it is however a legitimate concern so with that being the case get a small dedi as that is your only other secure option.

• OVH rocks ! lol @AnthonySmith

• @AnthonySmith said:
    OpenVZ is the least secure thing in the world for WHMCS and Xen+KVM can be LV snapshot,

The OpenVZ vs. Xen/KVM argument is largely a tinfoil hat argument. If that's a concern, you shouldn't be hosting anything anywhere you don't personally control access to 24/7 regardless if its VM or dedi.

@Microlinux said:
    The OpenVZ vs. Xen/KVM argument is largely a tinfoil hat argument. If that's a concern, you shouldn't be hosting anything anywhere you don't personally control access to 24/7 regardless if its VM or dedi.

Yeah, sorry I thought that is what I said, OpenVZ just makes it 100x easier for the horrible hosts :) I have sadly lost count of the number of OpenVZ hosts (some that are active here) that have started sentences on various IRC channels with: "So I was looking through someone's container and...." which really hits my rage button.

• Here's an idea

Host your SolusVM master on the cheapest 1GB - 2GB OVZ deal you can find because quality, reliability and redundancy is what you're clearly looking for LOL LOL LOL

Seen too many "I'm hosting a SolusVM master on this account, need it up IMMEDIATELY!!!!" support tickets.

• @doughmanes, I got my host :)

• Host it at the bottom of the ocean. I mean it is solus. Where are overgrown dead whales suppose to go?

@Mun said:
    Host it at the bottom of the ocean. I mean it is solus. Where are overgrown dead whales suppose to go?

Digital Ocean :p

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I have sadly lost count of the number of OpenVZ hosts (some that are active here) that have started sentences on various IRC channels with: "So I was looking through someone's container and...." which really hits my rage button.

Yes, that is pretty unsettling . . .

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

DigitalOcean LOL nice pun!

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

We host ours on the StormonDemand cloud infrastructure.

• buyvm

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It should be close to the nodes, not same DC, but close or even further away but with direct peering (or same carriers). Speed matters a lot sometimes.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@Maounique said:
    It should be close to the nodes, not same DC, but close or even further away but with direct peering (or same carriers). Speed matters a lot sometimes.

Any specific reason ? We have nodes in 12 different locations worldwide and keeping it close to any one would make it far from the rest .

• smansman Member
    edited September 2013

My master sits on a VPS in a separate data center that is on the other side of the continent from most of my slaves. So needless to say I disagree with the advice saying put on dedicated hardware and/or in the same data center. Not sure why people would recommend that. I think it's better the way I do it that way if your slaves go down your master is still there and visa versa. Putting the master on dedicated hardware would be a waste of money and hardware imho. You don't need much for resources. Just enough storage for your templates.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@leapswitch said:
    Any specific reason ? We have nodes in 12 different locations worldwide and keeping it close to any one would make it far from the rest .

Well, when it does not bring any advantage, then, I guess it is ok anywhere, however,t he carrier thing will still apply, look at which carrier is in the most mixes and try to have the master on on of those.