Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much downtime would you put up with before moving?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much downtime would you put up with before moving?

edited February 2012 in General

My personal blog and some private code repos are hosted on an LEB and according to pingdom I've had 9hrs of downtime in December and 7 hours in January (I don't know before that). While I haven't noticed it, because it's mainly while I'm asleep, I was wondering what people feel is acceptable from an LEB provider?

(I haven't contacted support of the provider so won't name them :))

Comments

• ztecztec Member
    edited February 2012

With a LEB, I wouldn't complain with only 1 fail a month. If those 9 and 7 hours are from more than 1 downtime, I would complain. This also depends on how good other aspects of the service are of course....

• @StolenToaster said: according to pingdom

How about some monitoring that is reputable?

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • edited February 2012

@miTgiB said: How about some monitoring that is reputable?

Didn't realise there was a problem with Pingdom but UptimeRobot reports the same

• @ztec said: With a LEB, I wouldn't complain with only 1 fail a month. If those 9 and 7 hours are from more than 1 downtime, I would complain. This also depends on how good other aspects of the service are of course....

Its been over several instances

• Depends on whether it's scheduled or not, I have a high threshold because I am hosting nothing important at the moment so anything > 99% is usually fine.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2012

Pingdom is a little wierd for me, it reports my servers randomly as down when it isn't.

Back on topic. If it's non-scheduled (with prior notification), over an hour, more than once a month; I'm gone.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @Infinity said: Pingdom is a little wierd for me, it reports my servers randomly as down when it isn't.

And uptimerobot does the same for me u_u

• @yomero said: And uptimerobot does the same for me u_u

agree, got an alert but when i check it everything is running well.. O_o

• Pingdom has said my minecraft server is down while I was playing on it.

• I can't understant that they can't do false alert but if the alert is during 9 hours... I don't think it's false.
    Personnaly, I don't care about downtime. I do nothing important on my VPS and when it's a little bit important, I have backups plan.

But to answer your question, I would move when I notice or when it's under their guarantees(but I would still need to notice it).

• Could just be unlucky and they have had two issues close together. They may not have any others for months and months.

I know you havent contacted support but did they alert you to the downtime?

If they havent noticed and the connectivity issue was at their end then that is bad and worrying. Either they havent noticed or dont think it is important to be open and honest with their customers

• 5 days total downtime and I'm gone.

• @Mon5t3r said: agree, got an alert but when i check it everything is running well.. O_o

At this moment my Edis one is reporting up and down like a yo-yo

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@yomero said: At this moment my Edis one is reporting up and down like a yo-yo

When I left for a holiday, no lies I got over 900 emails from pingdom.

• Non of it was scheduled and I can't find a status page on their site so it's hard to know if it was scheduled.

Although, all the talk of false alarms from Pingdoms makes me think that it only takes ones route to your vps to be down before they declare it down, which makes me feel quite a lot better.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

If you want to have a better / trustable result of your monitoring you should at least create a triangle of monitoring spot (strategically located) each one monitoring the others. This isn't 100% perfect but should help spotting false positive alarms.
    But you need to know where you put your monitoring instance. (If you use two outsourced services you need to know that they use different upstreams and datacenters)
    s.