Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self hosted alternative to tawk.to
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Self hosted alternative to tawk.to

Hi,

I am looking for a self hosted alternative to https://www.tawk.to/. Having a mobile app for integration is a plus (but not mandatory).

Thanks,
Ramesh

Comments

• cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider

@ramesh_vish said:
    Hi,

I am looking for a self hosted alternative to https://www.tawk.to/. Having a mobile app for integration is a plus (but not mandatory).

Thanks,
    Ramesh

When we used to do livechat we used livehelperchat https://livehelperchat.com/
    but we decided the overhead wasn't worth it and just went back to tickets only support

Thanked by 1abytecurious
  • Rocket Chat is a new one to me, but the features look useful for a freebie. Haven't used it, though. I haven't managed a self-hosted chat system in a looong time, but might as well subscribe to see what you decide to use.

• Livezilla. Everything else - trolling.

• cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider

LTniger said:
    Livezilla. Everything else - trolling.

We used to use livezilla as well but once they decided to go paid instead of at the time completely free, we just dropped them and moved on and we just checked their website, doesn't seem like nothing changed since we last used them.

• Not sure if it's self hosted but Ive heard Crisp is good: https://crisp.chat/en/

• Tawk is good enough for the girls I go out with

• @doughmanes said:
    Tawk is good enough for the girls I go out with

You misspelled grindr.

• Thanks @cubedata. LHC looks good and an unofficial mobile app is provided by Wurrd. Will probably take this for a test run (Something for the idle VPSes to do)

@Ympker: Crisp looks classy. Unfortunately, it is not self-hosted.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • https://codecanyon.net/item/php-live-chat-pro/19932933

Not an aff link.
    I have not used it but heard great stories about it.

• Thx @codeniner. From the demo, it looks like it is worth every penny.

• One of the numerous XMPP servers and clients?

Thanked by 1abytecurious
  • @ramesh_vish
    Is voice/video a hard requirement? How about email notifications?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Have a look at rocket.chat, you can integrate a live chat in your website and handle all your internal ops in the chat server.

• abytecuriousabytecurious Member
    edited December 2017

@dyu said:
    @ramesh_vish
    Is voice/video a hard requirement? How about email notifications?

Voice/Video is not required. Just a way to communicate with users on the website if they have questions.

MikePT said: Have a look at rocket.chat, you can integrate a live chat in your website and handle all your internal ops in the chat server.

Sure. I'll have a look. Thanks

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:
    Rocket Chat is a new one to me, but the features look useful for a freebie. Haven't used it, though. I haven't managed a self-hosted chat system in a looong time, but might as well subscribe to see what you decide to use.

@MikePT said:
    Have a look at rocket.chat, you can integrate a live chat in your website and handle all your internal ops in the chat server.

Haven't used Rocket.chat for public web-based chat, however at least for internal company use the interface is far from polished (Windows app has many bugs, so does the Android). We ended up switching back to Hipchat after hitting it's 10 user limit (which again has it's own problems but far more polished than rocket.chat).

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Thx @Infinity

I think Rocket.Chat has another limitation : There can't be anonymous visitors in the chat. For a website chat, a visitor might be put off by having to register just to ask a question.

So far, here are the two options I am going to try out
    1. Self Hosted LiveHelperChat (maybe change the UI a bit, looks a bit old fashioned)
    2. The XMPP option suggested by @flatland_spider

Will try the php live chat option (once I have a good use case and a paying client).

@Infinity said:

@WSS said:
    Rocket Chat is a new one to me, but the features look useful for a freebie. Haven't used it, though. I haven't managed a self-hosted chat system in a looong time, but might as well subscribe to see what you decide to use.

@MikePT said:

Haven't used Rocket.chat for public web-based chat, however at least for internal company use the interface is far from polished (Windows app has many bugs, so does the Android). We ended up switching back to Hipchat after hitting it's 10 user limit (which again has it's own problems but far more polished than rocket.chat).

How long ago was that? We find it pretty good tbh.

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2017

The very classic self hosted alternative customer chat is http://www.salessyntax.com/ formerly known as Crafty Santax.

Yes, that is still a thing. I still get freaked out by those eyes too.

It worked really well the last time I used it.

The even more classic alternative is just setup an irc server with a web interface to tie in, like BuyVM has done.

• @MikePT said:

Looks really good. Have you use it? what about Livezilla?
    If you can draw some comparisons, that would be great.

Up to now, I'm using livezilla, my only complain is that even if an operator doesn't have access to say... generating a widget, the dashboard still shows the link to the widget generator.

@404error said:

@MikePT said:

Looks really good. Have you use it? what about Livezilla?
    If you can draw some comparisons, that would be great.

Up to now, I'm using livezilla, my only complain is that even if an operator doesn't have access to say... generating a widget, the dashboard still shows the link to the widget generator.

I only use it for internal ops. For livechat, I use tawk.to, works amazingly well.

• @MikePT said:

I only use it for internal ops. For livechat, I use tawk.to, works amazingly well.

I tried tawk.to, but if I recall correctly I kept livezilla because tawk.to didn't had a ticket system. Have that changed?

@404error said:

@MikePT said:

I tried tawk.to, but if I recall correctly I kept livezilla because tawk.to didn't had a ticket system. Have that changed?

No changes I think, they have a function to convert to ticket but never tried it. I use it solely for livechat. Go to their site and ask them, they are pretty responsive.

Thanked by 1404error
  • Mibew is another possible solution https://github.com/Mibew/mibew

• You know, I am too lazy to google at times, but that is what we pay our online unlimited task admins $300 a month for.

• Found some new names like drift.com, whatshelp.io etc.

But Whatshelp.io is using intercom.com in their site!