Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Needed some suggestions :D
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Needed some suggestions :D

SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
edited February 2012 in Help

Hey Guys,
I'm planning on starting a backup service like DropBox,** like dropbox, not dropbox**

Anyway, getting back to the question :
1. How do I prevent users from publicly hotlinking the data ? any way to prevent Hotlinking ?
The reason being that I dont want ton's of DMCA violating data stored on the service.. limiting the user to upload/download only his/her files will somewhat fix the issue of DMCA's I feel.

any suggestions ?

Comments

• I assume you're going to have some kind of web interface that the users can use to access the files? In that case, use HTTP digest access authentication. Basically, the user can log in via your website, and they're granted access to their specific directory on the server.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Yup, its got a web interface :D I'm just a bit worried about "launching it" as I know that people will upload copyrighted stuff and share which makes it even worse for me !

• I don't really get the idea of hot-linking prevention. Dropbox for example allows hot linking for items in Public folder. From what you said, I think your service should be more like Mediafire or Megaupload.

Regarding hotlinking prevention, nginx can check for invalid referer and return 403

• As long as you properly handle DMCA complaints, you shouldn't have a problem.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

@haphan : The thing is I don't want to start something like Mediafire or Megaupload, something more like DropBox

@NickM : Yup, I'll have to think again about starting this service as i'm the only guy who'll be running it, i'll need 2 or 3 more people to help with support and dealing with DMCA's