Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prometeus shutting off the service in Dallas, TX
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Prometeus shutting off the service in Dallas, TX

Actually received the email yesterday however I forgot to post it, don't think anyone has posted it yet (guess they have very few customers in the Dallas location)

Dear client,

we are sorry to inform you that the server running your VPS xxxxx with assigned IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx will be decommissioned on 2018/01/10.

Please be sure to backup all your data before the 2018/01/10 as no recovery would be possible after that date.

We have added a credit of €xxx to your account as remaining quota of the paid service. This credit will not expire and can be used to order or renew any other service with us.

When you've copied your data please request an immediate cancellation of the service so that it will not billed again in case the renew date is coming in the next days

Thank you!

Prometeus Support Team

The service was good while I was with them so really no complains (didn't actively monitor the uptime nor server performance), however since most of my services with them are in their Dallas location I guess it is time to say goodbye to those little babies. I was a little surprised that they didn't offer migration to Milan as an option to win back some business (probably doesn't really worth the effort to Uncle Sal)

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

When a host is cutting you off like that, it means one thing: They weren't making a dime on your package.

Thanked by 2spammy doughmanes
  • Yeah many competitors in Dallas. People are looking something exotic like Hawai, Alaska etc.

• @WHT said:
    Yeah many competitors in Dallas. People are looking something exotic like Hawai, Alaska etc.

Tough for them to make good money when they don't own the DC and equipment...

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

What offers were they selling? Maybe I can offer some replacements in Dallas?

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2017

I personally have a few dns servers in Dallas with radi .. no complaints so fa

Thanked by 1Radi
  • In before ProutOffers..

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I told Mao that I would start offering KVM in Dallas.... shame that they didn't even try....

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • WHT said: People are looking something exotic like Hawai, Alaska etc.

Hardly. Why do you think so many providers are in Dallas? LET might think they're looking or the market is demanding exotic but why do every provider starting up have locations in Dallas? Shutdown could had been to poor marketing, the only reason I knew they offered in Dallas was due to this post.

Thanked by 1Damian
  • Interesting that the response to this is so much milder than ServerHand, despite being basically the same thing.

Thanked by 2imok doughmanes
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

lbft said: Interesting that the response to this is so much milder than ServerHand, despite being basically the same thing.

@Maounique I assume pro-rated refunds are fine for people that don't want credit?

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @lbft said:
    Interesting that the response to this is so much milder than ServerHand, despite being basically the same thing.

How is this in anyway the same thing? They didn’t run a special, accept payment, and then say we can’t honor it.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

clarity_64 said: How is this in anyway the same thing? They didn’t run a special, accept payment, and then say we can’t honor it.

I think the issue is more with offering credit, it's not quite the same scenario but the principal of credit only is not a good one, I imagine with prometeus being a large long-standing company refunds will be no problem for people that only had the credit with them for Dallas to begin with.

I am sure Mao will clarify, I have never known iwstack/prometeus to let people down in the past.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • clarity_64 said: How is this in anyway the same thing? They didn’t run a special, accept payment, and then say we can’t honor it.

They at some point ran whichever offers or sold whichever products in that location. Now they've decided to remove those existing products (with less than a month's notice) and the only mention of refunding the pre-paid terms is as an account credit. I assume the time since people started their services isn't as short but beyond that it's a pretty similar situation.

There's also the arrogance of making it sound like they're doing the customer a favour by not expiring the credit they're receiving instead of the service they paid for.

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2017

@doughmanes said:

WHT said: People are looking something exotic like Hawai, Alaska etc.

Hardly. Why do you think so many providers are in Dallas? LET might think they're looking or the market is demanding exotic but why do every provider starting up have locations in Dallas? Shutdown could had been to poor marketing, the only reason I knew they offered in Dallas was due to this post.

Because it's a cheap location to start up in.

• They've finally got out, surprised it took this long.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Rhys said: Because it's a cheap location to start up in.

Duh, quote the other guy. Not me.

• LeeLee Veteran

lbft said: Interesting that the response to this is so much milder than ServerHand, despite being basically the same thing.

Nah, totally different, they are withdrawing from a location, not because they offered something unsustainable, are inexperienced, fucked up orders, don't like the Chinese, have no money or have no clue.

Lots of providers withdraw from locations, this is the polar opposite in trying to make a comparison to serverhand.

Thanked by 1mfs
  • Lee said: Lots of providers withdraw from locations, this is the polar opposite in trying to make a comparison to serverhand.

So why only offer an account credit for the remaining paid time? If it's not unsustainable why not match the offer in another location? Why not offer a refund?

• LeeLee Veteran

lbft said: So why only offer an account credit for the remaining paid time? If it's not unsustainable why not match the offer in another location? Why not offer a refund?

That is something Prometeus need to clarify, and they will when this is seen. You clearly want to make this connect with the ServerHand thread, that wont happen, give them the chance to respond before you try and trash the thread.

• because incero sucks?

• LeeLee Veteran

maoyipeng said: because incero sucks?

Do they? I sense a story of you doing something against their terms.

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2017

I think they are just closing down legacy servers. Not the entire location. Granted this is LET, so lets read into it and come to our own conclusions :)

Thanked by 1spammy
  • I was a customer of Prometeus for years (well IWstack). I don't like how they handled this at all.

"Thanks for all the money, but we're kicking you out. Come grab your shit or we'll dump it on the kerb"

The very least they could do is explain why they are cancelling the service on such short notice, and offer to migrate the instances to another location. Yet another provider has made it to my "never again" list.

• @Maounique will have to show up and spin it into an anti-gun diatribe. I am disappoint he hasn't yet.

Thanked by 2doughmanes vimalware
  • Where is @Maounique when we need him?!

• I can if you like and make it convincing. But seriously, Cons and progs suck they could compromise but they don't.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited December 2017

I heard that @Maounique was caught with a Romanian hooker dressed like a Nazi, Uncle Sal found out, fired him. Incero, unsurprisingly, has a clause in their terms about being caught with a hooker dressed like a Nazi and has terminated their services as a result.

Thanked by 3hostdare WSS doughmanes
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2017

AnthonySmith said: @Maounique I assume pro-rated refunds are fine for people that don't want credit?

This does not affect many people, we had issues with the server (one server, pretty big, true, but not all services), this is why kinda sudden as we were not sure at the time it will be stable again. Moving everyone would have taken long and looked like forced migration, plus some had legacy incero IPs which were obviously not portable, not to mention they were ARIN, even if ours. Better to offer credit so the people have a choice of service or refund.
    For everyone which does not like the credit option, please open a ticket for refund, we already refunded some, i presume most, as this is not exactly news.
    Most people which have service in Dallas are actually old Prometeus customers which asked for an US location too so the credit solution looks like the most sensible one which can be handled automatically. As i said, of course, if you would like a refund, we will do that, just open a ticket and let us know.
    I was busy with it this is why I wasn't here last 48 hours or so.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited December 2017

Credit or refund offered, possibility to move service to another location using those credits, plus plenty of time (almost a month) to deal with... I could not think of a better handling from a hosting provider, about an unstable server. Kudos @Maounique !

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Actually, we would have had to make it more clear the refund option is available upon request (OK, mention it in the first place), but we presumed this is implicit, we never did otherwise and our customers know it.

Thanked by 2lbft ryanarp