Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup Adventskalender 2017 - Adv17 RS 4000 Plus - Day 13
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup Adventskalender 2017 - Adv17 RS 4000 Plus - Day 13

beaglebeagle Member
edited December 2017 in Providers

Today's offer:

Adv17 RS 4000 Plus

Prozessor: Intel® Xeon® E5-2680V4

Prozessorkerne: 12 dediziert

Arbeitsspeicher DDR 4 ECC: 32 GB

Festplatte: 4x600 GB SAS RAID10

Contract period: 3 month(s)

Billing period: 1 month(s)

Price per month: 29.99€ (incl. 19% VAT)

https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=1977

*EDIT: Forgot the link ;-)

Comments

• WSSWSS Member
    edited December 2017

Be aware that with a 3 month commitment, you're on the hook for €90 with this deal.

Thanked by 3Falzo pike hostdare
  • I don't know what I'd do with one, but I would like one. @Falzo gimme one for Christmas.

• KVM without nested virtualization makes this much less flexible than something like Dedibox or other comparable dedis. It does look interesting.

• Anyone's mining with those VPS ?

I see this coming through ;-)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

E5 is not bad for mining can make easy 1k/H sec, but since its shared you could expect 100-300/H with like 4 Threads, pays about 50% of the box.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited December 2017

mmmh 29.99/119*100*3 = 75.60€

I keep telling myself that a Hetzner auction box would match it... there's a E3-1246V3(9910 CPU-B= ~50% E5-2680V4's CPU-B)/32 GB/2x2TB on auction @ 27.73€ right now

then again I don't need any of those

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Well how does this compare to let's say an E3-123x dedicated? Don't really see the point in not going full dedicated at this price point.

• @vinter said:
    Well how does this compare to let's say an E3-123x dedicated? Don't really see the point in not going full dedicated at this price point.

If you can find a neutered E5 dedi with 1.2TB post-RAID for €30 anywhere, let me know.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • vintervinter Member
    edited December 2017

@WSS said:

@vinter said:
    Well how does this compare to let's say an E3-123x dedicated? Don't really see the point in not going full dedicated at this price point.

If you can find a neutered E5 dedi with 1.2TB post-RAID for €30 anywhere, let me know.

I was talking about an E3, E5 is not even remotely in that price range ofc. So my question is how those 12 cores threads compare to an dedicated E3 with significantly higher single thread speed.

• @vinter said:
    I was talking about an E3, E5 is not even remotely in that price range ofc. So my question is how those 12 cores threads compare to an dedicated E3 with significantly higher single thread speed.

So, you're just being a prick. Got it.

Thanked by 1vinter
  • @WSS said:

@vinter said:

Thanks for your qualified answer to my question.

• Thanks. I got one, although I am not exactly sure why....

• I don't need this.............

I want this...........

• @vinter said:

@WSS said:

@vinter said:

You're asking to compare apples, and oranges. Dedicated threads vs dedicated hardware is nowhere near comparable. You're just shitting on a high-availability resource. If hardware died out under this KVM, it'd be back up within minutes. You're not paying only for bare-bones throughput;I figured that you realized that.

• VAT broke the deal :(

• can I install and use virtualbox in this root server ?

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

WSS said: neutered E5 dedi

well it's "only" 12 prozessorkerne, plus it won't have vmx flags (unless someone wants to try the bitflip trick here too); @RDX may confirm this maybe

OTOH 1.2 TB in RAID10 would be at least priced 50% more I guess

then again there's Nekki and that super-special tailor-made offer snitched @ Clouvider (was it, like, 4x8TB for 40£ or something IIRC)

WSS said: Dedicated threads vs dedicated hardware is nowhere near comparable. You're just shitting on a high-availability resource. If hardware died out under this KVM, it'd be back up within minutes

mmmh I'm torn, I've seen KVMs die and stay dead for quite a while, at reputable providers too, in case of (rare) accidents. Remote hands in case of disaster would be slower for a dedi? It depends.

Then again, would I prefer to use a dedi or an AdvSpezial RS for my critical 1000k $$$+€€€/hr business? I know I'd prefer to keep the RS as a failover solution only

If you have an immediate need or use for this, it's an interesting offer. But if you buy it now just to catch the offer and let it idle for a couple of months whilst setting up something, it won't be that nice hidden monero tricks aside

yokowasis said: virtualbox in this

It could be painful

• @mfs said:

WSS said: neutered E5 dedi

well it's "only" 12 prozessorkerne, plus it won't have vmx flags (unless someone wants to try the bitflip trick here too); @RDX may confirm this maybe

This is a rootserver. All of my RS have had vmx enabled, but then again, I'm not the biggest bitch to providers, so...

WSS said: Dedicated threads vs dedicated hardware is nowhere near comparable. You're just shitting on a high-availability resource. If hardware died out under this KVM, it'd be back up within minutes

German. KVM. 'nuff said.

yokowasis said: virtualbox in this

It could be painful

would be

• @FredQc said:
    Anyone's mining with those VPS ?

do they allow mining on this?

• @seenu said:

@FredQc said:
    Anyone's mining with those VPS ?

do they allow mining on this?

Et voilà!

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited December 2017

@WSS said:

@vinter said:

@WSS said:

@vinter said:

You're asking to compare apples, and oranges. Dedicated threads vs dedicated hardware is nowhere near comparable. You're just shitting on a high-availability resource. If hardware died out under this KVM, it'd be back up within minutes. You're not paying only for bare-bones throughput;I figured that you realized that.

4 hour downtime actually :) without any notice of course. After half hour downtime they send an email about there is a problem with the server and should be online asap. Usually 4 hour. Both of my servers was down. That was around half year ago.

But thats acceptable i think after 400 day uptime.

I remember one time the network gone for 10 minutes. Affected the whole datacenter.

But thats all with my 2 year contract.

I think thats a German Steel like the Tiger Tanks. Just working...

Just do not do any illegal.. example: one of your user sent spam, ip get blacklisted and you have to pay around 30-40 eur to reactivate the server. PHP-MAIL disabled and now everything is perfect.

Just a suggestion...

But the new abuse system help to prevent this.. So.. now its in the control panel. Please note USE GMAIL. Otherwise they not will got your abuse reply mail, and then if you not reply... you have to pay. If you give a screenshot you sent the reply but they not received it. Well. HAHAH. Thats the answer.

When i called their emergency line, i asked to please speak in English, but the German tech supporter said he will not speak...

Actually now i learnt their shit system and i could avoid this problems.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @mfs said:

I keep telling myself that a Hetzner auction box would match it... there's a E3-1246V3(9910 CPU-B= ~50% E5-2680V4's CPU-B)/32 GB/2x2TB on auction @ 27.73€ right now

Hetzner and Netcup. Who is more reputable / better ?

• @Jebing said:

@mfs said:

Yes.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @WSS said:

@Jebing said:

@mfs said:

Yes.

They are similar?

• I'd say yes.

I had some dedis with hetzner some time ago without any major problems.
    One time the PSU crashed: 15 minutes later the server was back online with a
    new PSU.

I love Hetzner tech / customer service, they are friendly and helpful (fast) when it
    comes to downtime.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited December 2017

@Jebing said:

@WSS said:

@Jebing said:

Yes.

They are similar?

Yes they are both reputable providers. Hetzner is one of the biggest providers in germany with big datacenters and offices in nuremberg and falkenstein. Netcup uses the Hetzner datacenter but has an own office in karlsruhe (where the famous KIT resides).