Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What project are you working on? Have something you want to do but not sure how to approach it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What project are you working on? Have something you want to do but not sure how to approach it?

trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Hey everyone,

What projects are people working on at the moment?

Do you have something you want to do but not sure how to approach it? We have lots of knowledge between us here and can point you in the right direction.

Comments

• I could handle getting laid without having to shave my taint, but @Nekki has standards..

• @trewq said:
    Hey everyone,

Do you have something you want to do but not sure how to approach it? We have lots of knowledge between us here and can point you in the right direction.

Is this why we kick just about anyone who asks for help out? Like, we’re not even close to being a welcoming community. :I

• @doghouch said:
    Is this why we kick just about anyone who asks for help out? Like, we’re not even close to being a welcoming community. :I

This assertion is unfair. When people actually seem eager, or at least inclined to learn, they do get help. If it's the usual "HOW DOES I BITCOIN", or "WHERE IS WORDPRESS", or "CHARGEBACK ALREADY BUT LOOK AT THIS SHIT", it doesn't pass over all that well.

I've seen at least.. two, three, who were given useful, helpful advice in the last week.

• @WSS I don’t pay much attention to those threads, but yeah, you have a point there.

• It doesn't help that the backend of this site flags half the typical Linux commands posted on threads as malicious

Thanked by 2WSS corbpie
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited December 2017

@sureiam said:
    It doesn't help that the backend of this site flags half the typical Linux commands posted on threads as malicious

Ahem.. pls visit (again).

• I eventually got help in my first and only thread.

I am trying to make an online scientific calculator to demonstrate to the world I am not a complete lazy asshole. Here is my current idea for the meat of the program (first attempt failed spectacularly).

TLtR

My plan is to use priority queue holding nodes containing the value of the operands, the operator that will operate on it, and the priority of the operator.
    The operators will just be held in an array.
    Operators with higher priorities would be performed first.

The priority number will be based off of the position of each operator in the array.
    Brackets will incriment the priority of each opperand by 50 so that they are done first.

Last time I failed because I did not think about precidence and implimented a normal queue.

• @hammer said:
    Last time I failed because I did not think about precidence and implimented a normal queue.

Here ya go.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2017

@doghouch said:

@trewq said:
    Hey everyone,

Let me know if you see that occurring and for some reason I don't. I consistently kick out new members who make it clear that they have no desire to be a part of the community, the ones who intend to simply take a dump on it and leave. Definitely not someone who genuinely wants to join us (though they might claim to, despite their 16 line signature and one word replies).

• @jarland said:
    Let me know if you see that occurring and for some reason I don't. I consistently kick out new members who make it clear that they have no desire to be a part of the community, the ones who intend to simply take a dump on it and leave. Definitely not someone who genuinely wants to join us (though they might claim to, despite their 16 line signature and one word replies).

While we are on that topic, is it just me and my screen reader or is the change your signature thing not present in the profile page.

How come I can't find the profile

@WSS said:
    Here ya go.

Very interesting. But seems um quite unpredictible in a way. Thanks.

How would it allow for people to put brackets around things to break the default precidance chain.

• @jarland said:

Yeah, I guess that I jumped to a conclusion there. With the number of spammers recently, I've made the assumption that we don't welcome people here.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @hammer said:
    I eventually got help in my first and only thread.

I am trying to make an online scientific calculator to demonstrate to the world I am not a complete lazy asshole. Here is my current idea for the meat of the program (first attempt failed spectacularly).

TLtR

My plan is to use priority queue holding nodes containing the value of the operands, the operator that will operate on it, and the priority of the operator.
    The operators will just be held in an array.
    Operators with higher priorities would be performed first.

The priority number will be based off of the position of each operator in the array.
    Brackets will incriment the priority of each opperand by 50 so that they are done first.

Maybe this can give some ideas:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shunting-yard_algorithm

Thanked by 1uptime
  • hammer said: Very interesting. But seems um quite unpredictible in a way. Thanks.

How would it allow for people to put brackets around things to break the default precidance chain.

You would have to use a regex expression to look for each set of () and grab the data then use his setup to run each expression. His example seemed to be making the assumption that there was only a single bracket.

This should work.
    let regEx = /(([^)]+))/;

• TLDR: My question is, I have 3 servers atm, one in Seattle (my DB), one in NY (this'll probably be where I host the site on), and one in NJ (hoping to just put a personal blog/dokuwiki to document my progress since it's a tiny VPS). The NY VPS will need to access the DB frequently and will be displaying data from the DB on the site, will there be a noticeable delay in accessing the DB due to the distance?

Currently have an idea for my first side project that I'd like to start next week when my finals are over. It's a small web app that I'd like to make so I can learn/improve my programming and to also learn how to manage a server. I feel like I'm overthinking too much about the whole thing. In the beginning, I wanted to just put everything on one VPS but later read that it'd be better to split them up and have one VPS to host the site and another VPS for the DB for the sake of security and it'll allow the DB to have more resources dedicated to it.

Somewhere along the way, I came across things like HAProxy and load-balancing and one thing led to another. I'm being exposed to so many new things and I feel a bit overwhelmed but at the same time I'm enjoying the deep rabbit hole of knowledge as well. In my search for a VPS(es?) that fit my budget it led me to this community.

Also been looking into grabbing 3 more VPS down the line to add redundancy to the DB (In NY) & web server (In Seattle), and a load-balancer to redirect the traffic based on which server the user is closest to (I haven't fully understood how to achieve this yet). Probably won't be doing this until I've completed the project though(?).

• NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited December 2017

@dioxide I'm still a noob at this, but coincidentally was looking into horizontal scaling as well. Here's some good tutorials:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/an-introduction-to-haproxy-and-load-balancing-concepts
    https://deliciousbrains.com/scaling-wordpress-dedicated-database-server/ (unfortunately it's not complete yet)

I happened to have went through the exact same scenario as you and read somewhere that it'd be better to have multiple servers to host a site. Well, after some further research, my conclusion is that its better to have one single big server to host everything, unless your site is extremely huge/important. Its likely to be cheaper and faster to get a nice dedi than 7 small vps-es to host a site. The point of scaling is when you can't host everything on one single server (with the best possible specs), or if you cannot risk any downtime at all.

And no, I don't think there will be much delay. (But you can't take my word for it, I'm from asia and have always been using servers based in US/EU so I might not be able to tell)

• @hammer read about recursive descent parsers.

• @smallbibi said:
    @dioxide I'm still a noob at this, but coincidentally was looking into horizontal scaling as well. Here's some good tutorials:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/an-introduction-to-haproxy-and-load-balancing-concepts
    https://deliciousbrains.com/scaling-wordpress-dedicated-database-server/ (unfortunately it's not complete yet)

I happened to have went through the exact same scenario as you and read somewhere that it'd be better to have multiple servers to host a site. Well, after some further research, my conclusion is that its better to have one single big server to host everything, unless your site is extremely huge/important. Its likely to be cheaper and faster to get a nice dedi than 7 small vps-es to host a site. The point of scaling is when you can't host everything on one single server (with the best possible specs), or if you cannot risk any downtime at all.

And no, I don't think there will be much delay. (But you can't take my word for it, I'm from asia and have always been using servers based in US/EU so I might not be able to tell)

The way I see it is with a single server there is a single point of failure and should something happen to your provider, everything goes down which is what's making me consider multiple VPS for failover. The node my Seattle VPS was on had some disk issues last week and all the VPS connected to it had to be wiped.

• I don't have much expectations but here's my question.

There's a cpanel server with ns ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com

Now, I want to setup dns cluster with ns ns1/2.otherdomain.com

So, I don't want that domains already pointing to previous nameservers become unreachable. So, is it possible without sacrificing existing domains?

• NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited December 2017

@dioxide said:
    The way I see it is with a single server there is a single point of failure and should something happen to your provider, everything goes down which is what's making me consider multiple VPS for failover. The node my Seattle VPS was on had some disk issues last week and all the VPS connected to it had to be wiped.

Yes, you are right. But if you monitor your server, you can probably get your server up within a day or two whenever its down. If your provider has RAID drives and are doing things right, there should be no problems when a drive crashes. Otherwise/Anyway, you should rent a storage server to backup your data. If your concern is with loss of data, perhaps a load balancer + 2 app servers will suffice. The load balancer will still be a point of failure though.

@jetchirag said:
    I don't have much expectations but here's my question.

There's a cpanel server with ns ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com

Now, I want to setup dns cluster with ns ns1/2.otherdomain.com

So, I don't want that domains already pointing to previous nameservers become unreachable. So, is it possible without sacrificing existing domains?

Migrate your data to the second server and make sure everything works by accessing the IP. Setup your records for the second server. Then change the nameservers to the second server. So before the changes are propagated, people can still access your first server, and once the changes are propagated, people are directed to the second server.

• Geo Repping WP sites