Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AlphaRacks Justice cPanel server 30 hours down - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AlphaRacks Justice cPanel server 30 hours down

13»

Comments

• Well at least customers can have their accounts recreated so they can restore the backups that they kept.

• This type of thing could happen AND has happened at any provider. If your uptime is that important to you then you need to be shipping your changed blocks (or files, however you want to do this) over to another provider that way you can switch dns over and remain online during an outage.

• mansoormansoor Member
    edited March 2018

1) Alpharacks does not keep backups. As per their customer service they have RAID10 so backups are not needed. RAID10 is backup enough according to them. Same goes for snipped.

2) AlphaRacks does not have time to monitor or manage their servers because they are too busy sending out SPAM emails to everyone every day

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited March 2018

mansoor said: 1) Alpharacks does not keep backups. As per their customer service they have RAID10 so backups are not needed. RAID10 is backup enough according to them. Same goes for snipped

Do you really trust any of these providers to be doing crash consistent and periodically tested backups? Let's get real here.

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited December 2017

@Corey said:
    Do you really trust any of these providers to be doing crash consistent and periodically tested backups? Let's get real here.

Of course we do :) I expect them to have 3 separate duplicate instances of all data running at three locations, with complete archiving and tape backups as well. I also expect them to do my laundry and rub my feet. Instant support, chat support and an army of ninjas I can borrow.

But I'll think paying for a product and just receiving said product is a fair exchange. Now take my toonie in exchange for the largest VPS in the world!

• AlphaRacks said. "We do not have responsible your data backup. We offer unmanaged hosting." They lost everything. Mery Xmas AlphaRacks.

• People just need to stop falling for marketing. Everything costs money. Weekly copies of your site can be done by the provider and just as easily done with the Backup function in cPanel.

Usually people get burned hard like this before backups is burned into their brains. I've got bit similar to this but with a VPS provider's RAID card shitting out.

Oh FYI for those who don't understand - RAID IS NOT A BACKUP SOLUTION. NEVER WAS, NEVER HAS AND NEVER WILL BE. RAID CARDS FAIL.

Thanked by 1Epve
  • @Damian said:

I do have a weekly backup just I need something very important invoice last few days before the all data is gone.

• Justice has been Served.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@papadock said:
    AlphaRacks said. "We do not have responsible your data backup. We offer unmanaged hosting." They lost everything. Mery Xmas AlphaRacks.

I thought the shared hosting is semi/managed, as provider is responsible to run the server and supply the service with SLA agreement. I don’t know how the RAID-10 is backup? If something happens in DC and server affected by fire or what ever reason, the raid is not help! The off-site, cloud vault and backups on different network is better backup than backup to different folder on the same server.

• Fuck this site is good
    thanks for the comments
    backup up now! ok

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2018

papadock said: I do have a weekly backup just I need something very important invoice last few days before the all data is gone.

So, you hosted some very important invoices in a web hosting costs pennies for a month and is known for poor services, and you did not copy a backup for yourself? Search there to find who's guilty for it...

I have a couple of reseller services from Alpharacks and snipped (oh, yeah!) with plenty of space and ssh access. I use them for certain jobs, not to host clients on them. Some sftp scripts, nextcloud instances, testing websites in a cpanel environment and other stuff.
    I have a MRH from them and I figured out today that I was infected. I opened a ticket and they restored the service in 2 hours. They said they restored it from backup, I didn;t check because I did not have anything special in it. So, for a $9,99/y MRH, I cannot complain!

Whenever I have something that is even a slice worth to keep, I do take constant backups. That's why I enabled jailed ssh access, to be able to keep backups even more easy than thru cpanel.
    Paying ~$10/y for a MHR account with more than 50GB on it, I am not expecting anything and I am prepare for anything.

The key to those kind of services is:

• Treat them accordingly with what they are and how much they do cost.
    • Don't rely on marketing taglines to blame the provider later to public forums, for loosing critical data. They are cheap ridiculously cheap for a reason!
    • Don't expect from a provider that gives you 50GB of CPanel space for less than a $1 per month, to keep backups. He won't, it cannot be done! Period.

And remember: data can be lost from any provider, the smaller to the bigger. Replication and backup costs money. There is a reason that some services costs $$$$$ more money than others. Whatever happen to your data is your responsibility first of all, not the provider's.

• @jvnadr said:
    And remember: data can be lost from any provider, the smaller to the bigger. Replication and backup costs money. There is a reason that some services costs $$$$$ more money than others. Whatever happen to your data is your responsibility first of all, not the provider's.

While I agree it is bad advice to use anything valuable on these types of providers (I only store throw-away data - even backups and data loss aside, their internal team has free access to all your data), I also wouldn't give them an immediate pass just because they undervalued their services.

If a VPS provider continually loses client data, then they aren't really providing the service they are claiming. Be smart, backup your data, but don't let someone get away with ripping people off either just because they are a few dollars cheaper than someone else... imho and all that. Rather see them fed to the dogs and prices go up a few bucks all around ;).