Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AlphaRacks Justice cPanel server 30 hours down - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AlphaRacks Justice cPanel server 30 hours down

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2017

@WHT said:

@WebProject said:
    3 days of downtime and host without any backup plan? sounds to me they lost all the data only. Do they backup customer accounts to the same hard drive?

This smells on corrupted raid0.

how about store the backups elsewhere but not on the same hard drive as accounts or the same server? The issue can be fixed by migrating customers from affected server to other server by restoring accounts from backups, much easier and quicker than waiting 3 days and have no clue of result or ETA.

• I like cheap stuff like everyone else but hosting clients with 'companies' like alpharacks is just outright wrong. Take your (paying) clients seriously. I wouldn't even offer free hosting on their servers.

• emghemgh Member
    edited December 2017

@Saragoldfarb said:
    I like cheap stuff like everyone else but hosting clients with 'companies' like alpharacks is just outright wrong. Take your (paying) clients seriously. I wouldn't even offer free hosting on their servers.

I believe that it depends, for example, my grandmother has a website about her business. I told her that she might want to change hosts since the current one didn't have too good uptime, it was decent though. I said, "Imagine your website being down for hours!". You know what she told me? "Yeah, and so?".

Not everyone cares about uptime, they just want a website that works most of the time. If you can get away with getting this for less than a dollar per year, why not.

Update from Alpharacks: The check was complete, but some files were corrupted. Server is offline still.

• emgh said: Not everyone cares about uptime, they just want a website that works most of the time.

So the point is, don't put your productivity website on alpharacks. Right?

• priestpriest Member
    edited December 2017

Then they should have really said that theirs was a "holiday hosting" - hosting that won't always be available. Imagine a server that's down for one week in a month, even a grandma won't find that amusing.

@emgh said:

@Saragoldfarb said:
    I like cheap stuff like everyone else but hosting clients with 'companies' like alpharacks is just outright wrong. Take your (paying) clients seriously. I wouldn't even offer free hosting on their servers.

I believe that it depends, for example, my grandmother has a website about her business. I told her that she might want to change hosts since the current one didn't have too good uptime, it was decent though. I said, "Imagine your website being down for hours!". You know what she told me? "Yeah, and so?".

Not everyone cares about uptime, they just want a website that works most of the time. If you can get away with getting this for less than a dollar per year, why not.

Update from Alpharacks: The check was complete, but some files were corrupted. Server is offline still.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • sureiamsureiam Member
    edited December 2017

Backup, backup, backup.. Hope to never have to recover...

• @ariq01 said:

emgh said: Not everyone cares about uptime, they just want a website that works most of the time.

So the point is, don't put your productivity website on alpharacks. Right?

Correct.

@sureiam said:

With providers like this, the standard practice shouldn't even be to backup. It should be to never put anything important of them in the first place.

• @emgh said:

Any > @sureiam said:

With providers like this, the standard practice shouldn't even be to backup. It should be to never put anything important of them in the first place.

Agreed. I backup even under the best providers but the amount i
    Of downtime here is unacceptable under Any price!

• emghemgh Member
    edited December 2017

It's really time to update clients on their non-working server. The check was complete around two days ago. Nothing heard from them since.

• Tomorrow we'll have to celebrate it being down for a week without any details being given!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2017

"DEFINING SUPERIOR SERVICE" haha

• I called it days ago- messed up RAID card (which has been writing bad data).

Seen it happen in support@ and we provided those same encouraging replies

• @doughmanes said:
    I called it days ago- messed up RAID card (which has been writing bad data).

Seen it happen in support@ and we provided those same encouraging replies

What do you think will happen with this? Will they restore it? Will they fuck up and reinstall and be sorry for data loss? Will they continue to act like nothing happened until everyone just stops checking for the server?

This goes for everyone, what do you think will happen?

• Well in my experience with providers having a RAID card and corrupted data - maybe a week goes by and they'll admit "complete failure". Hostigation had one a long long time ago and manned up to it.

• However with their constant slick marketing, "our data recovery team assigned to the task has came to the conclusion of complete failure".

• @doughmanes said:
    However with their constant slick marketing, "our data recovery team assigned to the task has came to the conclusion of complete failure".

..AND THANKS TO WHICH WE CAN OFFER YOU THIS INCREDIBLE DEAL!

Thanked by 3imok emgh doughmanes
  • HAPPY DOWNTIME WEEKSARY

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Wow! LOL comes with the territory.

• HostlovinHostlovin Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2018

Alpharacks makes w feel premium

Thanked by 1Intelpentium0
  • emghemgh Member
    edited December 2017

• Haha what do I get as a prize for my data recovery call on their announcement?

Next announcement: explanation on how the RAID card fucked up and everything is poof gone.

Thanked by 2emgh AuroraZ
  • KermEdKermEd Member
    edited December 2017

Not complaining per say as the price is bottom of the barrel and I didn't store any critical data there.

But they migrated my master server account against my will to a new server this morning. And in the process, all files, databases, configurations, my domains, and my 'clients' (bunch of buddies I created free sub accounts for) data is gone. It is just a new empty account.

So yeah, I was planning to spin off a bunch of free sub accounts for other people - extremely glad I didn't now. Imagine that headache? Yeesh! But it is a lot of time wasted for me that is a little annoying.

Usually data loss on this scale is from a bigger cause (i.e. they failed to pay the real data provider etc). Will be interesting to see if they even stay afloat.

• @emgh said:

@Saragoldfarb said:

You're probably right. They don't care until it happens just when they wanted to try that brand new shiny WP template they found :).

• There's no justice in the world.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @angstrom said:
    There's no justice in the world.

You get two more tries to do this joke justice.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@doughmanes said:
    Haha what do I get as a prize for my data recovery call on their announcement?

Next announcement: explanation on how the RAID card fucked up and everything is poof gone.

It's not announcement it's just excuse, if it's shared hosting why not to restore the backups? and recreate accounts on new server.

• @WSS said:

@angstrom said:

I thought that it was a pretty good try for a guy who uses NetBSD. :-)

• @angstrom said:

@WSS said:

@angstrom said:

I thought that it was a pretty good try for a guy who uses NetBSD. :-)

Sometimes there truly is just no justice in the world.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • They're recreating accounts to see how many people will actually stay and not jump ship while they prepare the marketing on the failed announcement that nothing is left. Been there done that with multiple providers I've worked for. Upset customers get SLA/credits/refunds thrown at them and another offer is blasted out to recoup the incident's loss

Thanked by 1sin