Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS provider with the best IP reputation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS provider with the best IP reputation

Hi,

I'm looking to build my own SMTP relay using Postal (https://github.com/atech/postal/wiki) and am looking for a VPS provider to install this on. Therefore, I need a VPS provider with great IP reputation (have been looking around but concerned that places such as OVH have a bad reputation with Microsoft). Only had issues with Live/Hotmail/Outlook accounts so far as emails tend to end up in the spam folder.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Don't bother. If you pay for hosting with @jarland's mxroute.io, @gleerts MailChannels smaller packages, or even @mailcheap's SMTP packages, you don't need to worry about keeping your IP space clean, and delivering.

Running your own MTA for a larger amount of email (which I'd assume is your plan by running Postal, rather than a standard MTA) is going to take up a huge chunk of your time unless you outsource it for pennies.

• @WSS said:
    Don't bother. If you pay for hosting with @jarland's mxroute.io, @gleerts MailChannels smaller packages, or even @mailcheap's SMTP packages, you don't need to worry about keeping your IP space clean, and delivering.

Running your own MTA for a larger amount of email (which I'd assume is your plan by running Postal, rather than a standard MTA) is going to take up a huge chunk of your time unless you outsource it for pennies.

What I tell you about being helpful?

• @AuroraZ said:

@WSS said:
    Don't bother. If you pay for hosting with @jarland's mxroute.io, @gleerts MailChannels smaller packages, or even @mailcheap's SMTP packages, you don't need to worry about keeping your IP space clean, and delivering.

What I tell you about being helpful?

Don't beat me massa!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Depends on who you need to email. You can have a spotless reputation at a glance and still fail to deliver to one of these four:

1. AOL
    2. Hotmail
    3. Verizon
    4. AT&T

If you fail all four, I'll bet you $1,000 you can't do anything that makes all four accept your email on that IP range.

If you just need to consistently send to Gmail, anyone will do if you don't send spam.

• @WSS said:

MXRoute seem to be quite expensive (more so than MailChannels) - am I looking at the right thing?!

• @WSS said:

Have been with Mailcheap before but their plans start at $59 hence why I was thinking of doing this myself using Postal.

• Second @WSS suggestion. Otherwise all i can tell you is that microsoft does not like Hetzner either.

• Mailgun, up to 10k email per month for free

Thanked by 1jaden
  • @rick2610 said:
    Mailgun, up to 10k email per month for free

Apparently they still end up in the spam folder - happy to pay but just not $50+ per mo

hexuk said: Apparently they still end up in the spam folder

That's not an IP reputation issue.

• @hexuk said:

@rick2610 said:

Apparently they still end up in the spam folder - happy to pay but just not $50+ per mo

So you're expecting to send about 100,000, and can't afford $50/mo? Spam.

• @WSS said:

@hexuk said:

@rick2610 said:

So you're expecting to send about 100,000, and can't afford $50/mo? Spam.

Never said 100,000. Looking for around 40000 transactional emails, nothing more. Day to day emails for my clients.

• @jarland said:

hexuk said: Apparently they still end up in the spam folder

That's not an IP reputation issue.

What do you think it could be then please? Trying to find a fix!

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Stop sending content people consider spammy and your emails won’t go to junk

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @hexuk said:
    Never said 100,000. Looking for around 40000 transactional emails, nothing more. Day to day emails for my clients.

I guess you couldn't find the mailgun calculator, because 100k is about $45/mo. $15/mo for 40k outgoing, but that does not include validations.

You don't need a mailgun sort of application for valid client messages.

• @Clouvider said:
    Stop sending content people consider spammy and your emails won’t go to junk

We moved to the subnet around a month ago and they go to spam on Live/Outlook and Hotmail. Everywhere else we have no problems and are on no blacklists. We don't send any spammy emails.

hexuk said: What do you think it could be then please? Trying to find a fix!

It's basically everything that mail-tester.com checks for except for DKIM (improvements are far more marginal than suggested).

These days customers send crappy email, they just do. If you want high quality delivery you have to know what the major email providers consider to be spam-like and you have to coach your customers on how to adapt to current times. Whether it be by setting mailman to Munge From and replace Reply-To, or whether it be to stop using email forwarders (unless using SRS) because you will forward spam, whatever may be relevant. Each situation should be treated uniquely according to it's own variables.

• @WSS said:

@hexuk said:

I guess you couldn't find the mailgun calculator, because 100k is about $45/mo. $15/mo for 40k outgoing, but that does not include validations.

You don't need a mailgun sort of application for valid client messages.

I'm told emails still go to spam with Mailgun - are they good then?

edited December 2017

hexuk said: they go to spam on Live/Outlook and Hotmail

They do include the sending domain for filter checks. If they've listed customer domains as likely to be spam in their internal filters, you're basically screwed. Get new domains or start a social media campaign that causes them to cave.

• @jarland said:

hexuk said: What do you think it could be then please? Trying to find a fix!

It's basically everything that mail-tester.com checks for except for DKIM (improvements are far more marginal than suggested).

These days customers send crappy email, they just do. If you want high quality delivery you have to know what the major email providers consider to be spam-like and you have to coach your customers on how to adapt to current times. Whether it be by setting mailman to Munge From and replace Reply-To, or whether it be to stop using email forwarders (unless using SRS) because you will forward spam, whatever may be relevant. Each situation should be treated uniquely according to it's own variables.

We get 10/10 on Mail-Tester.com lol but still go to spam. rDNS/DKIM/SPF everything is configured correctly.

hexuk said: We get 10/10 on Mail-Tester.com lol but still go to spam

There's nothing you can do then. You can't make someone like your emails. Send better stuff or get new domains. You can't bear the responsibility of a service you can't influence, your customers should understand that.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @jarland said:

There's nothing you can do then. You can't make someone like your emails. Send better stuff or get new domains. You can't bear the responsibility of a service you can't influence, your customers should understand that.

Ok so would using a relay like yours improve deliverability chances to inbox with Microsoft emails ?

hexuk said: Ok so would using a relay like yours improve deliverability chances to inbox with Microsoft emails ?

If it did, it would be a stroke of luck by causing just the right amount of good values to overrule the bad values, which could be offset again by as little as a sneeze. I'd highly doubt that it would help.

• @jarland said:

There ya go. You've just saved yourself months of expense and anguish. Sign up for this mans' service (or any of the others listed) and use a new domain for your "alerts".

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @jarland said:

hexuk said: Ok so would using a relay like yours improve deliverability chances to inbox with Microsoft emails ?

If it did, it would be a stroke of luck by causing just the right amount of good values to overrule the bad values, which could be offset again by as little as a sneeze. I'd highly doubt that it would help.

But we don't have any bad IP reputation and don't send any spam at all and go to inbox everywhere else so surely having a relay to a service like yourselves would do something?

• FYI these aren't alerts at all. These are clients who run a multitude of different businesses, sending emails internally/externally etc. and none use the service for newsletters. We use cPanel and actually have a cap per account per hour.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

A single VPS is not sufficient to achieve high deliverability; you'll need to use multiple subnets and multiple providers, rotating IPs and resending any hard rejects.

Postal looks interesting though; the project describes it as an MTA but I'm not sure if that's a custom MTA or if they use a more traditional underlying MTA like Postfix (which is necessary for the above reasons and scalability).

Regards,

Pavin.

• @mailcheap said:
    A single VPS is not sufficient to achieve high deliverability; you'll need to use multiple subnets and multiple providers, rotating IPs and resending any hard rejects.

Postal looks interesting though; the project describes it as an MTA but I'm not sure if that's a custom MTA or if they use a more traditional underlying MTA like Postfix (which is necessary for the above reasons and scalability).

Regards,

Pavin.

Hi Pavin, are you thinking of ever doing shared SMTP relays? Would be really interested if you are.

hexuk said: But we don't have any bad IP reputation and don't send any spam at all and go to inbox everywhere else so surely having a relay to a service like yourselves would do something?

I wouldn't feel comfortable saying that it would. I feel like if it did, it couldn't be guaranteed to continue. Microsoft hates a lot of things, and it's rarely fair or sane. Take for instance something they used to do. They used to filter all .nl domains to /dev/null. They'd accept their emails and never deliver them, consistently, by TLD alone. That whole time they were running "live.nl" for their own email. They never saw the irony.

• @jarland said:

hexuk said: But we don't have any bad IP reputation and don't send any spam at all and go to inbox everywhere else so surely having a relay to a service like yourselves would do something?

I wouldn't feel comfortable saying that it would. I feel like if it did, it couldn't be guaranteed to continue. Microsoft hates a lot of things, and it's rarely fair or sane. Take for instance something they used to do. They used to filter all .nl domains to /dev/null. They'd accept their emails and never deliver them, consistently, by TLD alone. That whole time they were running "live.nl" for their own email. They never saw the irony.

How is that allowed at all? Surely thats not exactly legal?