Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternative for torqhost
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alternative for torqhost

bjobjo Member
edited September 2013 in Requests

Hi!
I'm searching for an alternative for torqhost. I used the 512MB XEN-box for 25 EUR/year as 2nd MX and NS. Unfortunately, their provider blocks incoming DNS since April because of DNS ampliflication attacks, so I cannot use it as 2nd dns any more.

Maybe the small kimsufi roots from OVH would be an alternative, but they are sold out.

So the requirements are:

• 512MB RAM
  • TUN/TAP possible
  • XEN/KVM preferred
  • IPv6 would be nice
  • 2-4 EUR/month

Comments

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

BlueVM done this a little while ago: http://lowendbox.com/blog/bluevm-birthday-promotion-25year-512mb-kvm-in-buffalo-or-los-angeles/

Might be worth getting in touch and asking if they can provide a similar price for you.

@BlueVM

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited September 2013

If you're looking for a European host with Xen, I recommend Inception Hosting or Prometeus, both should have specials that fit your budget.

Edit: The last Frankfurt offer from Inception fits your requirements - http://lowendbox.com/blog/inception-hosting-7-2gb-xen-in-miami-e16yr-128mb-in-uknlus/

Prometeus don't seem to have any running specials that meet your proice range, but I assure you they're worth the extra €1 per month.

• @bjo said:
    Unfortunately, their provider blocks incoming DNS since April because of DNS ampliflication attacks, so I cannot use it as 2nd dns any more.

Do you mean you were a victim of an amplification attack (incorrectly configured dns server on your vps), or do you mean they block all DNS servers running?

If it's a blanket ban on everyone I wonder why mine is still up and serving nameserver records...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2013

their provider blocks incoming DNS since April because of DNS ampliflication attacks, so I cannot use it as 2nd dns any more.

You can still host NS there (I know I did), they only block outgoing DNS requests.

Maybe your problem is that you can no longer run your amplification attacks from there? :D

• I was not a victim of it, they block all incoming DNS and told me that only requests to the Wavecom-NS are allowed. E.g. querying 8.8.8.8 from my VPS does not work. They answered my question if whitelists are possible as following:

Unfortunately it is not so simple. DNS amplification attacks are generally huge, so we asked our ISP to block the port (we do not have sufficient bandwidth capacity to sustain them). It is not possible for us to unblock it or whitelist IPs automatically.

• @rm_ said:
    Maybe your problem is that you can no longer run your amplification attacks from there? :D

Haha :p Well, caused by the block the AXFR of new zones do not work.

• DeanDean Member
    edited September 2013

What about querying 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220

I use cPanel DNS-Only on my VPS there; I'm not sure how it pulls in the records from the servers but I've not had any problems.

edit: Oh I understand what you mean now.

• 1st DNS (running at netcup) sends a notify to 2nd DNS, 2nd DNS sends a query to 1st and gets blocked. Maybe a solution would be getting the AXFRs over VPN, but powerdns still has only a per-domain "also notify" setting, which would be quite annoying.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2013

We have 512 MB KVM for $4/mo in Chicago (see signature link), not sure if you wanted Europe only though.

EDIS is 7 euros/month but they have many locations.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@bjo Yeah I didn't think you need AXFRs etc, my configuration just involves pushing out the zone files from a central location via rsync over ssh to all NSes, then rebuild/restart nsd3 and done. This worked without problems with their DNS block.

• @rm_
    Sounds like a solution. Maybe I'll switch to MySQL-replication, this should work even better than notify-axfr.

• I can confirm they DO NOT block incoming DNS. I've got a DNS server running with them for a while now (4 months) and it's working perfectly fine.

Did you file a ticket with them to get this resolved? Maybe @torqhost can help you out.

• The information related to the block quoted ealier are from a ticket. I have to correct my first post, outgoing DNS is blocked, not incoming.

• @mpkossen, @bjo queries to external DNS resolvers is blocked. Hosting your own DNS servers is not a problem. This seems like the least intrusive way to solve the amplification problem that has become popular this year.

Thanked by 2mpkossen texteditor
  • @torqhost said:
    mpkossen, bjo queries to external DNS resolvers is blocked. Hosting your own DNS servers is not a problem. This seems like the least intrusive way to solve the amplification problem that has become popular this year.

Blocking just misconfigured DNS servers is better solution, IMO.

AFAIS, you do not mention you block outgoing DNS requests in TOS. That could be a nasty surprise to those deciding to use your servers.

Thanked by 2Dean bjo
  • jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited September 2013

try liquidhost and shardhost

• Got AXFRs working again:
    Created a IPv6-Address with http://www.ipv4.data.ee/ and use IPv6 for NOTIFY/AXFR, my 1st NS has native IPv6. PTR can be set via http://6to4.nro.net/

• the solution would be to force customers to disable open resolvers, not block dns servers across the network