Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lack of SSD deals is disturbing.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lack of SSD deals is disturbing.

I am concerned about the lack of SSD deals on LEB... Come on guys its almost 2014.

I would love to see some 1-2GB Ram/25-50GB SSD deals.

Comments

• Do you know the price of SSD's ?

• I personally want to see SSDs offered on Xen more, too

• @joodle Of course i do, most people would not have an issue paying a couple dollar premium for a pure SSD deal though.

• How much would you be willing to pay for a 1GB Ram, 50GB SSD KVM?

• @XLvps not sure what your overhead is but i would pay 7.99USD

• @Sweet $8 for 50GB SSD..?

• @Sweet said:
    XLvps not sure what your overhead is but i would pay 7.99USD

Nice price. Let me know if you start offering them, I'll buy your whole stock.

• @chauffer said:
    Sweet $8 for 50GB SSD..?

Seems comparable to this just KVM.

http://lowendbox.com/blog/aim2game-6-75-month-2048mb-openvz-50gb-ssd-in-buffalo-new-york/

• XLvpsXLvps Member
    edited September 2013

We are currently testing a setup with 1TB SSDs. They could go online as early as next month.

• Not everybody is interested in the highest iops for his LEB. Some people might consider durability to be more of a concern; that might (next to the price) also be a reason for the providers to stay with classic harddrives.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @XLvps said:
    We are currently testing a setup with 1TB OCZ Octane SSDs. They could go online as early as next month.

Sounds exciting. Keep us posted.

• serverianserverian Member
    edited September 2013

Do some math.

They say they use 8 x 240GB SSD on RAID10

This will give you 892GB of formatted capacity.

Keep 42GB for OS and OS templates.

You got 850GB left.

So they can sell 17 x 50GB VMs from this box with this space for $6.75

Say they are using Micropayments. After the fees, a $6.75 sale bring them $6.3625 per 50GB VM.

17 x 6.3625 = ~$108

Even this was a colocated server in Buffalo, CC. They'll have to pay around $1000 for a cabinet so $25 per server colocated. So $83 profit from a single node at full capacity.

Say the server hardware costed them $1000 (which is most probably true if brand new) Now the SSDs $240 each. $240 * 8 = $1920

So the total hardware makes $2920.

On this $83/month profit rate. $2920 / 83 = ~35 months.

So they'll have to wait 3 years to break even.

Does this sound like a good plan to you?

Thanked by 2lbft doughmanes
  • @Sweet said:
    joodle Of course i do, most people would not have an issue paying a couple dollar premium for a pure SSD deal though.

In a different market perhaps.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

DigitalOcean sells 20GB SSD for $5/mo. I don't think there is a lot of demand for SSD-based VPSes with larger storage. If your stuff doesn't fit into 20GB, serve static and less-popular parts of it from a secondary non-SSD VPS. And if you really really have a highly-popular service with lots of data that the only way to operate is to keep all of it on SSD, chances are you should be looking towards dedicated servers anyways.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited September 2013

Most companies use enterprise drives for their storage... let's do some cost comparison shall we?

For a typical RE4 (enterprise Western Digital) you'd spend: $109

You need four (4) of those to setup RAID10 which is industry standard: $436

Usable space: 2 TB

For a low end (not great) SSD with 480 GB (half the storage), you'd spend: $490

You need two (2) of these to setup RAID1 which a lot of providers do: $980

Usable space: 480 GB

I can tell you from experience people with 50 GB VPS tend to use on average about 1/2 of that space. Assuming you oversold by 100% and prayed to the server gods that your users didn't use up all the available space you'd be able to sell 20 VPS at that price on the SSDs.

Let's see how long it'd take you to make a profit if you were a VPS provider:

Hard Disks (no overselling): 40 VPS x $7 = $240 a month... You'd pay off the disks by the second month.

SSDs (oversold by 100%): 20 VPS x $7 = $140 a month... You'd pay off the disks in 7 months.

That's just to repay the disk costs, not even to pay for the motherboard, case, cpu, ram, bandwidth, IP addresses or ANYTHING ELSE. I'm sorry, but if I wanted to wait 2 years to break even I'd throw my money into a bank instead of servers, I'd at least make 1% then.

Thanked by 1Sweet
  • @ska said:
    Not everybody is interested in the highest iops for his LEB. Some people might consider durability to be more of a concern; that might (next to the price) also be a reason for the providers to stay with classic harddrives.

+disk quota. This factor is also something what can't be ignored. I prefer VPS with HDD over SSD (as long node with HDDs perform normally) simply because I get usually way more space with HDDs.

Thanked by 1Sweet
  • fileMEDIAfileMEDIA Member
    edited September 2013

@rm_ said:
    DigitalOcean sells 20GB SSD for $5/mo. I don't think there is a lot of demand for SSD-based VPSes with larger storage. If your stuff doesn't fit into 20GB, serve static and less-popular parts of it from a secondary non-SSD VPS. And if you really really have a highly-popular service with lots of data that the only way to operate is to keep all of it on SSD, chances are you should be looking towards dedicated servers anyways.

I think they using thin provisioning with their SAN to reduce the real used space. That´s no real possible with lvm yet. RHEL 7 maybe..

Thanked by 1Sweet
  • @blueVM @Spirit @ska

You boys do make great points. It may just be my biased opinion of physical disks due to the countless deals i have purchased only to have IO issues. Maybe i just need to look into more reliable hosts and stay away from OpenVZ.

• @Sweet - Our average node gets between 150 - 240 MB/s when full. Anything below 80 MB/s and I encourage our customers to contact us so we can look for abuse... Even on KVM you can and do find disk abuse... same can be said about any virtualization platform.

• @BlueVM said:
    Sweet - Our average node gets between 150 - 240 MB/s when full. Anything below 80 MB/s and I encourage our customers to contact us so we can look for abuse... Even on KVM you can and do find disk abuse... same can be said about any virtualization platform.

I have not tried BlueVM yet so on your next offer ill give it a try.

• Lack of SSD deals is disturbing.

I've been finding a lot of SSD deals in Europe. In the past 2 weeks I've picked up an i3-2100/16GB RAM/1 x120GB SSD for 19 euros monthly and an i7-3770/16GB RAM/2 x 240GB SSD/20TB bandwidth for 44 euros monthly.

oh, you're talking about VPS deals... :P

$8 for 50GB SSD..?

TrueVPS was selling 2GB RAM/50GB disk plans for 5 euros before RamNode bought them last month.

• @BlueVM said:
    Sweet - Our average node gets between 150 - 240 MB/s when full. Anything below 80 MB/s and I encourage our customers to contact us so we can look for abuse... Even on KVM you can and do find disk abuse... same can be said about any virtualization platform.

Your nodes are quick! ;)

• MatiMati Member
    edited September 2013

@Sweet said:
    I am concerned about the lack of SSD deals on LEB... Come on guys its almost 2014.

have you seen prices of SSDs and how they changed in last year?

hint: they are almost stagnant. Before they were falling quickly but it unfortunately stopped for some reason.

• @Sweet said:

Yeah, that's not gonna happen here.

• @Sweet said:
    most people would not have an issue paying a couple dollar premium for a pure SSD deal though.

This is LowEndTalk.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @XLvps said:
    We are currently testing a setup with 1TB SSDs. They could go online as early as next month.

May the force be with you. You'll need it with OCZ . . .

• @Sweet said:

Would you mind a single point of failure?

• with the prices of ssd vs. capacity, making a raid cluster would cost too high for reasonable ROI and LEB market. not unless you have too many clients like DO so plenty of room for overselling space.

• @Microlinux said:
    May the force be with you. You'll need it with OCZ . . .

Thankfully there are now several non-OCZ 1TBs on the market now

• smansman Member
    edited September 2013

On OpenVZ you can adjust I/O priority per container. On KVM you cannot. So you should not be blaming OpenVZ. If anything it is better for this. I have on occasion lowered a customers I/O priority because they were hogging too much I/O.