Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Move a WHM from one server to another - any simple guide/best practice?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Move a WHM from one server to another - any simple guide/best practice?

Hello, I'm pretty new with WHM/Cpanel (or used cpanel a lot before, but not WHM).
We have a server with a couple of hundred sites in WHM/Cpanel. I want to just setup a new clean CentOS 6.9 installation, and just move all accounts from the old server to the new.
I'm used with Virtualmin, and there it's really simple to just move all sites from one server to another. How easy is this with WHM? And will all of quotas, packages etc also be easy transferred?

What is best practice around this? I'm sure you guys are moving WHM's between servers on daily basis? :D

Comments

• You can use transfer tool?

Thanked by 1myhken
  • So, since the hardware and OS will be the same on the new server, this tool do all the job?

• @myhken said:

So, since the hardware and OS will be the same on the new server, this tool do all the job?

Yes make sure php and mysql versions are also same.

• WHT said: Yes make sure php and mysql versions are also same.

Ok, but will all server (WHM) settings also be transferred? We have different plans with different quota settings, or do we need to create all plans on the new server?

• @myhken said:

WHT said: Yes make sure php and mysql versions are also same.

Ok, but will all server (WHM) settings also be transferred? We have different plans with different quota settings, or do we need to create all plans on the new server?

You can copy the packages, it's in the documentation here
    https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/ALD/Transfer+Tool#TransferTool-Howtocopypackages

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @myhken said:

WHT said: Yes make sure php and mysql versions are also same.

As I remamber everything will be trasferred.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • So just to be clear, I setup the new server, make sure Mysql and PHP versions is the same as the old server. Then install WHM/Cpanel using a default key, then use the transfer tool, and then use the old license key on the new server?

• @myhken said:
    So just to be clear, I setup the new server, make sure Mysql and PHP versions is the same as the old server. Then install WHM/Cpanel using a default key, then use the transfer tool, and then use the old license key on the new server?

Just install whm and other plugins to avoid error and the use transfer tool, then you just need update your license ip from your license reseller

Thanked by 1myhken
  • mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2017

You could split nameservers as well, NS1 to one server, NS2 to the other, and then have it suspend on old as they migrate. Helps a bit when you have a shit-ton of domains.

• robohost said: then you just need update your license ip from your license reseller

We have taken over the server, so don't know if we know where the license is from.
    But, if we just use the same IP (both internal and external) on the new server as soon as we have transferred the sites, it will not be any issue with the license?

• @mmuyskens said:
    You could split nameservers as well, NS1 to one server, NS2 to the other, and then have it suspend on old as they migrate. Helps a bit when you have a shit-ton of domains.

Ok, but the new server will be in the same DC and Vmware server as the old, and we will use the same IP's as before.

Uh, how many domains you talking about? You're gonna have some fun if you're trying to keep the same IPs as well.

• @myhken said:

robohost said: then you just need update your license ip from your license reseller

We have taken over the server, so don't know if we know where the license is from.
    But, if we just use the same IP (both internal and external) on the new server as soon as we have transferred the sites, it will not be any issue with the license?

It would be more beneficial to find where the license is from, whether you can get access to the licensing account, whether it was included with your server take over or whether you need to purchase your own.

• @mmuyskens said:
    Uh, how many domains you talking about? You're gonna have some fun if you're trying to keep the same IPs as well.

Around 200 - so the transfer tool changes IP's on the domains when we transfer? But maybe I'm wrong, but it should be possible to setup a server with different internal IP's but both servers have the same external IP? We have no plan to change the external IP.

Ho-ost said: It would be more beneficial to find where the license is from, whether you can get access to the licensing account, whether it was included with your server take over or whether you need to purchase your own.

It's the same company, same owner, but different people working there. And the old employees was not good at documenting things. But most likely we can find the information.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee

I don't understand the logic in this. You're using the same VMware server? What are you looking to accomplish? Why the need?

• @mmuyskens said:
    I don't understand the logic in this. You're using the same VMware server? What are you looking to accomplish? Why the need?

The old server has lots of disk and partitions, and we don't have full control over the installation, firewall etc etc. So in stead of using lots of time to clean up, we just want to setup a new server and move everything from the old to the new.
    But we are using the same VxRail in our own DC.

• ArchArch Member
    edited December 2017

Here's a copy from an internal reference log we made for a recent migration. Lots of things to remember, and I'm sure there's more things we did that we never had a chance to write down - you just need to make sure you get the new server 100% production ready and tested before deploying anything onto it. If you use the Transfer Tool and have custom Cloudlinux LVE settings, I don't believe those transfer over - so you should double check them.

• Operation Migrate Dat Shit
    • Initial Server Provision
    • yum update and upgrade
    • Install cPanel
    • Set default SSH port
    • Install Cloudlinux 7
    • Configure SSL
    • Ensure default resolver configuration is set to Google DNS
    • Set Arch error pages with new logo
    • Install CSF
    • Install ClamAV
    • Install Munin
    • Set up backups to S3
    • Install Cloudflare
    • Install Railgun
    • Copy packages
    • Follow LFD security walkthrough configuration
    • Follow cPanel security advisory configuration
    • Set Arch Hosting branding/customization
    • Set dark theme as default
    • Upgrade to MariaDB
    • Perform initial quota setup
    • Disable SELinux
    • Add /home partitions for extra drives
    • Set server time to LA
    • Copy feature lists for default
    • Install python virtualenv
    • Install CageFS and configure
    • Enable cloudlinux notify end user of inode usage
    • Install Cloudlinux advanced LVE manager
    • Enable FTP passive mode
    • Switch Apache to prefork MPM
    • Switch PHP handler to SuPHP
    • Set up IPv6
    • Enable SSH keyfiles
    • Copy EasyApache settings from us-west02
    • Install Softaculous
    • Install CXS
    • SpamAssassin configuration, deny RBL'd mail
    • Harden /tmp
    Thanked by 1myhken
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I went from el5 to el7 using the cPanel bulk migration tool, it was super easy, just make sure the versions (at least major) match up on both servers for php/apache/sql etc you can then upgrade everything post migration.

Thanked by 1myhken