Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Help] Setting up new IPs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Help] Setting up new IPs

I've been trying to setup an IP to my dedicated server. I have access to 13 IPs, only 1 is set up, and I tried using this tutorial: http://morecode.wordpress.com/2008/11/04/adding-an-ip-address-to-debianubuntu-linux/

I literally copied and pasted and only replaced the XX's, is there anything else I have to change? I can't connect to the new IP through SSH yet so I guess I'm not doing it right

Comments

• budi1413budi1413 Member
    edited September 2013

The netmask should be same as first ip. You change that?

auto lo eth0
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

auto eth0:1
    iface eth0:1 inet static
    address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

auto eth0:n
    iface eth0:n inet static
    address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@budi1413 said:
    The netmask should be same as first ip. You change that?

The netmask shouldn't be the same as his first IP. If he has his own VLAN, then with 13 usable IPs I'm guessing he has a /28 in which case his netmask would be 255.255.255.240. If he's not on his own VLAN, then the host will need to provide the netmask.

• @BrianHarrison said:
    The netmask shouldn't be the same as his first IP. If he has his own VLAN, then with 13 usable IPs I'm guessing he has a /28 in which case his netmask would be 255.255.255.240. If he's not on his own VLAN, then the host will need to provide the netmask.

What do you mean by my own VLAN? Thanks!

It's a dedi from CVPS that was /28