Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Server Specification Should I Get
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What Server Specification Should I Get

I've got a web apps. Since I don't know how much resource does it take, I decided to buy a few vps and dedi.

1. Netcup 2000 Plus Root Server. Windows 2012. Intel Xeon E5-2680 v4 (2.4Ghz) 8 Core, 12GB Ram. ($20)

I would say, this is the best VPS a bought. It can handle about 1500 users. It seems for some reason the ram used never exceed 3GB. Because I don't know any control panel for Windows. I installed XAMP on it.

2. KS3C. Core i3 Intel i3-2130 2c/4t 3.4GHz 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz ($10)

Using Centos Web Panel. Only 200 users, 100% CPU Usage and RAM.

3. Wishosting. KVM HDD Plus. 2 vCPU core AMD Opteron 6128, Unlimited CPU cores 2GHz, 8GB ECC RAM ($8)

Using CWP. 100% CPU and RAM. Using VestaCP. Using VestaCP, Keep getting error too many mysql user connection.

4. Aplha VPS (Dual L5630). (25 eur). Don't know how it performs. Mine hasn't been deployed yet.

Right Now I am considering :

• Speedy KVM V.Dedi 1 E3-1230 with 15GB of RAM. ($20).

It seems whenever I use linux (free control panel, I am always out of RAM). But in Windows (xampp), the ram usage never exceeds 3GB. Is it because of the OS, or the Stack ( XAMPP VS LAMP, LEMP, or whatever). Anybody know a Linux RAM Friendly stack for a web apps ? I Once deployed 8 core 16GB RAM with Centos Web Panel on Google Cloud. My apps, eat the whole 8 core and 16GB RAM. I mean WTF !

In term of spec on paper. Which one perform better Netcup 2000 Plus or SpeedyKVM V.Dedi 1 ?

If anyone know any VPS / Dedi that performs better than netcup, please let me know. My budget is around $20 - $25 a month.

Obviously I should cancel some of them, to cut cost. I think I will cancel KS3C, Wishosting. What do you guys think ?

My Apps is a quiz test (multiple choice). When user start a test, all of the question and get pulled from the database and rendered into user screen. So, basically Images, audio player, video player, all of them get rendered all at once. And when student choose an answer, the answer is sent to the server and update the database to save the student answer.

Anyone have any idea how to make the apps more resource friendly ?

Really need some help here.

Thanks.

Comments

• Considering how much money youre throwing into this Id recommend paying somebody who knows what theyre doing to do this shit for you. Its going to run with fewer problems in the future that way.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @yokowasis said:
    My Apps is a quiz test (multiple choice). When user start a test, all of the question and get pulled from the database and rendered into user screen. So, basically Images, audio player, video player, all of them get rendered all at once. And when student choose an answer, the answer is sent to the server and update the database to save the student answer.

Anyone have any idea how to make the apps more resource friendly ?

Have them rewritten. Really. If it's choking on such a simple design- it's written poorly.

• kasslekassle Member
    edited December 2017

first you need to measure your app needs, memory & cpu usage. test it on one of your owned vps. connect 1 client (to simulate 1 student), then connect 2 client, measure the mem & cpu usage. repeat until 5 client connect.

without that data, get the best spec (high, big, and fast) available (both mem & proc)

note: linux also use memory to cache disk. it is usable mem. https://www.linuxatemyram.com

• @kassle said:
    first you need to measure your app needs, memory & cpu usage. test it on one of your owned vps. connect 1 client (to simulate 1 student), then connect 2 client, measure the mem & cpu usage. repeat until 5 client connect.

without that data, get the best spec (high, big, and fast) available (both mem & proc)

note: linux also use memory to cache disk. it is usable mem. https://www.linuxatemyram.com

MySQL keep restarting. The apps cannot connect to the database. I am pretty sure that it's the definition of out of memory.

• Separate the MySQL from the server by using a remote MySQL server on an optimized server or find a provider who offers SQL as a service.

• I am using KS4C (iirc) and running 24/7 crypto mining with max cpu usage, nginx webserver, 3 normal wordpress blog, 1 wordpress for video streaming, 1 PHP custom site, heavy big file (1-2GB/file) download server, almost 20 mysql database, 15k unique visitor with 50k pageviews per day and all those things working fine. All my websites load fast.

I am no expert but I think we don't know until we actually try. Ahh and also I don't use any control panel after someone said "the best control panel is no control panel".

• kasslekassle Member
    edited December 2017

it seem the app designed/optimized for windows

• It's PHP and MySQL. How comes its optimized for windows.

• @yokowasis said:
    It's PHP and MySQL. How comes its optimized for windows.

based on your test result

• @kassle said:

@yokowasis said:
    It's PHP and MySQL. How comes its optimized for windows.

based on your test result

Yeah I wonder why is that. The RAM usage is very different.

• kasslekassle Member
    edited December 2017

even php has OS specific function:

http://php.net/manual/en/refs.utilspec.windows.php

you must contact the developer to clarify