Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would people be interested in this?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would people be interested in this?

Shared Hosting - VestaCP based

10 GB SSD

Free SSL

20 Domains (fair use! dont be a dick)

No bandwidth limit (again fair use; dont be a dick)

Basic DDoS Protection

For 5.00€/year

Comments

• What do you mean with "20 domains, fair use"? You shouldnt use 20 domains?

Ive never seen fair use apply to a clearly quantified circumstance.

• @MagicalTrain said:
    What do you mean with "20 domains, fair use"? You shouldnt use 20 domains?

Ive never seen fair use apply to a clearly quantified circumstance.

Ah my bad misphrased. There is no hard limit on Domains. If you need more than 20 you just open a ticket and ask. To get Approval for this would be subject to fair use.

Thanked by 1MagicalTrain
  • MagicalTrainMagicalTrain Member
    edited December 2017

It sounds like a fine product. I wouldnt get it personally, because I bought 3 webhosting packages on BF/CM, but yeah.

Do you host your own smtp server? Or do you use a third party product?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Well let's see ;) This hosting package is meant to cover all the small projects that need a home but are not necessarily worth getting a monthly hosting package for. There is no Softaculous (vesta has no module for it anyway) and you are required to do own backups (which is fairly easy in vestacp though). The "large" SSD disk space is the "Premium" aspect here I guess. I could ofc do smth like double or triple the disk space if HDD was preferred but I am not gonna launch both so it's either gonna be HDD or SSD.

• @MagicalTrain said:
    Do you host your own smtp server?

>

This is a good question. SMTP server provided or BYO?

How many databases, and what kind?

Does that 20 domains include subdomains?

What tech stacks will be supported? Static only, PHP only, or Python WSGI, CGI, FastCGI, etc.

Shell access?

I'm pretty well set with shared hosting, and this is would be in Europe.

@ympker I see uptime.is is made with Lisp. :) How hard was it to create a website with it? Lisp is something I've been trying to get into lately, although more for services and systems stuff then web development.

• ehabehab Member
    edited December 2017

looks good to me.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I tried VestaCP in NL before. Same prices I have today and it wasn’t that attractive to customers.

Small problems that required tweaking to work in a hosting environment. Changes that were lost after an update.
    Passwords that had to be reset for no reason.
    Lots of problems

Thanked by 3Ympker ariq01 Pwner
  • @flatland_spider said:

@MagicalTrain said:
    Do you host your own smtp server?

>

This is a good question. SMTP server provided or BYO?

How many databases, and what kind?

Does that 20 domains include subdomains?

What tech stacks will be supported? Static only, PHP only, or Python WSGI, CGI, FastCGI, etc.

Shell access?

I'm pretty well set with shared hosting, and this is would be in Europe.

@ympker I see uptime.is is made with Lisp. :) How hard was it to create a website with it? Lisp is something I've been trying to get into lately, although more for services and systems stuff then web development.

Most likely BYO.

Databases would also be not hard limited but subject to fair use. If you come here paying 5€ expecting to do heavy resource usage (and I'm not just speaking a few peaks) you will be notified and if necessary suspended.

Again, there is no hard limit on domains/subdomains here. All limits are soft limits and can be extended upon request and given it is subject to fair use. The stated amount does not included subdomains.

Not a 100% sure yet but don't expect it to be too exotic. Most likely just php (perhaps php-fpm).

It would be in EU.

I did not make this site :P I just link it in my sig because it is helpful :)

@mikho I guess that is at some point to be expected. I will most likely add some description in the order form that this is a product that is not to be considered premium and expected to have disturbances at some point highlighting the essential need of making OWN backups.

• If its not cPanel, pass.

Forgot to mention that the whmcs module had massive issues.
    Couldn’t create accounts if the name of the client had only 2 characters in either firstname or surname. (Can’t remember which).

Couldn’t remove accounts at all.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @doughmanes said:
    If its not cPanel, pass.

Luckily in Germany cPanel is not really regarded a "Standard". Most Hosts have in house panels or use Plesk so it is not that much a problem here :P

Good luck!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • VestaCP is buggy and annoying as hell to actually use. I'd probably pass since others have offered it for a tenth of the price.

Thanked by 3doughmanes ariq01 Pwner
  • ^ a more detailed explanation of my urge to pass.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @doughmanes said:
    ^ a more detailed explanation of my urge to pass.

Is ISPConfig more interesting? Constantly developed and maintained. Quite solid.

• Will your Vesta panel include a plug-in that lets people edit/manage files?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2017

@nyvpsuser said:
    Will your Vesta panel include a plug-in that lets people edit/manage files?

Most likely not. Just like Vesta, ISPConfig also works great without this feature so I guess using some webftp (smth like "onlineftp.ch") site or local FTP Client should be easy to use ;)

Id rather use a local FTP client though.

• Good deal; make sure to offer a VAT free purchasing option for non-EU customers. That is a dealbreaker to pay taxes when you shouldn't for many.

• @cheapwebdev said:
    Good deal; make sure to offer a VAT free purchasing option for non-EU customers. That is a dealbreaker to pay taxes when you shouldn't for many.

I do not charge VAT.

• @Ympker said:

@cheapwebdev said:
    Good deal; make sure to offer a VAT free purchasing option for non-EU customers. That is a dealbreaker to pay taxes when you shouldn't for many.

I do not charge VAT.

Outside Germany cause ya know you keep saying I only sell inside Germany.

• @Ympker said:

10 GB SSD

Free SSL

Basic DDoS Protection

For 5.00€/year

Looks good if there's a limit to how many people would be in this "fair use"

• @jezznar said:

@Ympker said:

10 GB SSD

Free SSL

Basic DDoS Protection

For 5.00€/year

Looks good if there's a limit to how many people would be in this "fair use"

What are server specs and how many people will you host max on the server? Will server resources be available to public for review (i.e. you can see this in cpanel/whm as an end user).

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2017

@AuroraZ said:

@Ympker said:

@cheapwebdev said:

I do not charge VAT.

Outside Germany cause ya know you keep saying I only sell inside Germany.

As you said there is no need for me to charge VAT as the market I cater to doesn't require that.
    Which is why in the ToS there is this:

(8) Elbaf-Hosting erbringt seine Leistungen nur gegenüber Kunden, die ihren gewöhnlichen Aufenthalt (Rechnungsadresse) in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland
    haben. Hat der Kunde keinen gewöhnlichen Aufenthalt in Deutschland, kommt kein Vertrag zustande.

While I am not obliged to check whatever data the customer enterered regarding its integrity I can very well request a verification at any time.

@jezznar Well it won't be hundreds of people on there but enough for me to turn a profit obviously.

@cheapwebdev Will be any of the netcup/contabo/server-provider plans :P I may share the specs once Ive evaluated if the ROI is worth it.

• If I'm on a budget, I would definitely be interested in this because I liked VestaCP very much. Especially the NGINX and PHP-FPM.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I am running Vesta with zero issues right now. :)

Thanked by 1Ympker

@Radi said:

with hosting accounts or personal?

I run VestaCP on a few servers but they don't have any connection with a billing system.
    I create accounts for friends who will use them until I cancel the server.
    No issues with that.

• @mikho said:

@Radi said:

with hosting accounts or personal?

I run VestaCP on a few servers but they don't have any connection with a billing system.
    I create accounts for friends who will use them until I cancel the server.
    No issues with that.

@Radi is acctually selling them to customers via order form. I would, too (via Blesta).