Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

rectified.net - let the drama begin - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

rectified.net - let the drama begin

Comments

• @WSS

I'll risk a guess: The sharks had a little agreement with that rectum guy, something along the lines "We want to check out some market segment(s) and you can earn some extra money by doing that under your own name and brand". The thing took off and started to fly decently ... and Mr. rectum got funny ideas and asked for a bigger profit share or something like that ... the whole thing in the end blowing up in his face and the sharks being legally in a more or less solid position but rectum having the customer database (and, so it seems, had started with rented servers elsewhere). Something like that.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • Post appropriate lawyer music

[

• WSSWSS Member
    edited December 2017

@bsdguy Doubt it. Most employers don't want you working on your own sideline while you're on the clock. He probably got a near-cost price for his colo/rentals, and after he neglected/wasn't working on work-related stuff while on the clock, they started to sniff his workstation.

Personally, I'd have a problem with this, but when you're working for someone else, you're kind of fucked in Nevada.

Long story short, Rectified possibly couldn't rectify 2 hours of work a day on an 8 hour shift. I honestly don't know how it worked out, but for the entire thing to be "turned over", and then "turned off"? Seen similar before- I worked in a data center eons ago.

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited December 2017

I worked with a guy a few years ago that would always disappear on his shift, which I didn't care because I was busy doing the tickets, and later on was to be found working for somebody else on the same shift. His questions about trying to get forwarding to work on the company phone started to make sense. He was the escalation person on shift and after a few people had to be called on his shift with his lack of answering, he didn't work for the company anymore.

This drama should also be a good reason to check in on your employees/subcontractors.

• WE'RE MISSING THE BIG PICTURE HERE!

How the flying fuck did @doughmanes like my post twice!?

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @Amitz said:
    Is it only the non-native english speaker in me, or does "rectified.net" really not make much sense as a company name?

Sometimes you get "rectified", other times just "rect".

• @WSS said:

WE'RE MISSING THE BIG PICTURE HERE!

I haven't been around enough to know who that is. Maybe he has secret backdoor keys that allow him to do silly things with the forum?

• edited December 2017

@rustyhalo said:
    rectified.net is down for about 12 hours along with the VPS and control panel.

I ordered their VPS yesterday and they did not provision it nor did they respond to my ticket. Also I did not got any email about this outage. I did a bit of search and found this facebook post and possible email notification sent earlier about the acquisition by SharkTech.

and

The acquisition notice was found on a Chinese forum post -- without the actual email, If you got one, it would be nice if you could post it.

I also checked my PayPal receipt, the seller has already been changed to SharkTech Inc.

@rectified could you please elaborate on what's going on?

Cardboard guys?
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1209972

• WSSWSS Member
    edited December 2017

@tarasis said:

@WSS said:

WE'RE MISSING THE BIG PICTURE HERE!

I haven't been around enough to know who that is. Maybe he has secret backdoor keys that allow him to do silly things with the forum?

He's an evilrussianhacker(tm)?

It's not shorting out; it's obviously sitting on a quick-assemble $30 rack in someones' basement. Who cares?

I assume they're using the PCI NIC because the onboard is RealTek or something equally shitty. The fact that it has an oldschool analog-looking header, however..

• WSS said: How the flying fuck did @doughmanes like my post twice!?

F5 hack after clicking on the notification then liking the post.

Thanked by 2IonSwitch_Stan WSS
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited December 2017

When presented with the logs, the senior system administrator confessed and asked what course of action Sharktech thought was appropriate. He asked for forgiveness and for continued employment. Due to the long term and close relations Tim has had with the administrator, Sharktech offered the administrator an option where he could continue working for Sharktech, but Rectified would need to be closed or be turned over to Sharktech, as it is an obvious conflict of interest to own a competing business. The administrator originally agreed to transfer the business to Sharktech, an arrangement that included compensation. We have logs to back this claim. Upon granting us access to his billing system, we observed the use of our intellectual property in active use for this business.

Wow! Just wow! Should mention these points:

• When Sharktech find out that his employee is cheating on the company, they blackmailed him to keep his job and not facing possible legal action, by stealing his company and customers!

• Sharktech did a public announcement to R.N. clients that the company belongs to them now, without even any legal papers had been signed up! If they were the professionals here that find out their employ was stealing from them, why did they follow such an unprofessional and illegal route (gain and contact with the clients of another legal entity without any signed agreement of company transfer)?

• Servers, colo'ed nodes etc. are clearly not owned by Sharktech, nor stolen. They were rented by a third person. This is proven by the statement of the Skarktech itself: Recently we discovered a senior system administrator was secretly operating a reseller account. This administrator originally described Rectified.net as his wife's business. So, the issue here is that he did not admitted that Rectified Networks was a company he operates when asked (Sharktech saying that he should not operate his own company because it is a conflict of interest) and that he used his working time to operate the company.
      1. Holding servers that are legally rented (reseller, colocation or whatever) on the name of his wife, servers that containing private stuff from third party (clients), personal documents (client area) with the excuse that... "he was stealing time from his work to manage it" is more than illegal. It is the definition of blackmail and is a disgusting behavior.
      2. If the employee was using his work time to operate another company, the only legal way is to fire him and open a law suit against him. All other actions are bullshit, illegal and disgusting.

• They had access to his billing system, as they say. They imply that he gave them access. Bullshit. Access to a billing system (clients database etc.) requires legal documents, or it is illegal from both parties. Clients did sign up with rectified networks. Not with Sharktech. Even if owner of R.F. gave access to S.T., they should not access it before there was a legal transfer to it.

• Last but not least: Really? Intellectual property in a reseller company? Only as joke...

So, the owner of Rectified Networks is not an angel. He probably used his position and paid time to operate his own hosting company. But the way Sharktech handled the situation, is beyond logic, law and moral. Much more serious from what their employee did. And I hope they face the consequences for that.

(My opinion is based mostly on Sharktech statement, not from what Rectified Networks have said. Sharktech is the one that dig their own grave here...)

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2017

WSS said: If he's not paying for the colocation

I doubt they would have not noticed a bunch of servers drawing traffic and power.

WSS said: or it's being used to prove that he worked for himself while they were paying for him

I don't see how can they prove that by holding the servers, unless he sneaked them in and was indeed not paying colo, which, again, i doubt, he also had rented servers with them.

Yes, he probably breached a lot of things, some people do have the impression they can use phone, computers, internet, etc at some employer for personal or even personal business stuff and it keeps growing especially when you are a trusted admin, but, still, until the police at least if not a judge says they can keep his gear under any reason, it is still his, they cant do a citizen arrest of his servers.

TL;DR will end badly for both parties and the fault is at SharkTech because they did not follow the procedures. They should have called the police and gather evidence, then get a court order for the gear, only then serve him with the papers for the transfer as a legitimate reparation for the damage they suffered.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited December 2017

Maounique said: the fault is at SharkTech because they did not follow the procedures

But they did not want to follow the procedures. They wanted to blackmail him to grab his company for free. So, if they are not worse, they are in the same wrong route with their employee.

Maounique said: I doubt they would have not noticed a bunch of servers drawing traffic and power.

From what Sharkteck saying in their public statement, R.N. did not colo'ed anything for free or illegally used any gear. He just used his shift to operate his own company and the company had an interest conflict with Sharktech.
    So, the only legal way here was to fire him and lead him to court for betrayed the trust and the paid time from his employer. Not stealing his data or/and gear...

• I'd wait for the lawyerbots or statement from RN.

• #dicks

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited December 2017

@WSS said:

• How the bloody fuck did you get at that image of sharktechs core router?
    • Who the bloody fuck pulled the pcmcia card with the second network port?
    • Why is @doghouch such a cheap bitch and thanking you only twice rather than a polite quadruple? Minimum.
    • Anyone here with a sister he doesn't need anymore?
  • 64.32.19.194 should be one of the most famous ips' in the nerd world!

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @jvnadr said:

64.32.19.194 should be one of the most famous ips' in the nerd world!

Only in the world before node.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2017

@ucxo said:

@Amitz said:
    Doesn't something have to be fucked up before getting rectified?

A rectifier is an electrical device that converts alternating current (AC), which periodically reverses direction, to direct current (DC), which flows in only one direction.

FULL BRIDGE RECTIFIER

• @Neoon said:

@ucxo said:

@Amitz said:

A rectifier is an electrical device that converts alternating current (AC), which periodically reverses direction, to direct current (DC), which flows in only one direction.

FULL BRIDGE RECTIFIER

Already posted on page 1 by francisco.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@teamacc said:

@Neoon said:

@ucxo said:

@Amitz said:

FULL BRIDGE RECTIFIER

Already posted on page 1 by francisco.

• What doesn't make sense to me is why would Sharktech purposefully disable Rectified client services when they're hoping to obtain said clients as their own. Has this Tim guy ever been a business owner before?

• hzrhzr Member
    edited December 2017

Maounique said: But this does not give me the right to confiscate his car in the parking pending legal action.

>

Theoretically.. if it already belongs to ST and not RN. Almost every tech job has some form of contract clause of "anything worked on during company hours, on company equipment or network and relating to company industry belongs to the company" type thing, which is definitely enforceable if it is this level of reasonable (operated at work, on work pay hours, from work gear, probably using work discount, competing with own employer, created at work)

Also lying about ownership to evade conflict of interest/noncompetes/intectual property transfer agreements will make any judge unhappy

Thanked by 2MikeA doughmanes
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

hzr said: Also lying about ownership to evade conflict of interest/noncompetes/intectual property transfer agreements will make any judge unhappy

I don't know about US, but here, if the ownership is not theoretically yours but your married partner, the conflict of interests does not go away. So, if the business is owned and operated from within the household, is basically the same as if owned by the RN guy.

hzr said: Theoretically.. if it already belongs to ST and not RN.

I don't think we had a rent to own there, the servers do look like being owned by RN as ST admits in their note, they said they confiscated them pending legal action or something like that. IMO, only the judge and police to some extend can confiscate stuff off people.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • hzrhzr Member
    edited December 2017
     Sharktech Filling 2 Positions | Chinese Sales Representative | Senior Systems Administrator 

Senior System Administrator 

Chinese Sales Representative

https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1685956

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • For what it's worth, @sharktech is here..

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Well sounds to me like sharktech just did what they did because they could and they probably know the OP cannot fight them on it through lack of money or because of his specific position as a none resident.

Cold.

Maybe we should just start saying "Sharktech review" on every post until there is some clarification.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Well sounds to me like sharktech just did what they did because they could and they probably know the OP cannot fight them on it through lack of money or because of his specific position as a none resident.

Do we have proof of this? I assumed that the Sr Admin would need to be physically present for some work, but finding the ad for a new SA saying it's completely remote..

This makes no sense for being able to physically confiscate others' hardware if it's just a resold rack, unless Rectified isn't even on the hardware located there.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

WSS said: Do we have proof of this? I assumed that the Sr Admin would need to be physically present for some work, but finding the ad for a new SA saying it's completely remote..

This makes no sense for being able to physically confiscate others' hardware if it's just a resold rack, unless Rectified isn't even on the hardware located there.

nope, no proof of anything, its not a court here, but if someone was making something up to this degree about me on the no1 result on google for reviews I would chip in for sure.