Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

European KVM: Ramhost (UK) vs EDIS (CH)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

European KVM: Ramhost (UK) vs EDIS (CH)?

anincoganincog Member
edited February 2012 in Providers

Hi. I currently both have a KVM VPS at Ramhost's UK location and at EDIS' Swiss location, and I'm trying to decide which to keep. I have experience with neither (I'm currently using The Host House, but will soon move away from them since the others have better offers), so maybe someone can share some experiences. Here are my observations so far:

• The prices are almost exactly equal (although RH is paid in USD, EDIS in EUR).
  • EDIS gives me 1024 MB RAM instead of RH's 512.
  • RH gives me 15 GB disk space instead of EDIS's 12.
  • RH gives me IPv6, while EDIS is v4 only still.
  • RH gives me two cores instead of EDIS' one.
  • EDIS gives me 4 TB a month against RH's 2.
  • Both perform excellently bandwidth-wise.
  • At various locations in my own country (Norway), EDIS and RH alternate at providing the lowest latency. With some ISPs RH is in the lower 40s and EDIS in the mid 50s, while with other ISPs it's almost exactly the other way around.
  • EDIS looks like a solid company from what I can tell. RH, on the other hand, has a great reputation around here.

I'll use the VPS mostly for web serving, but also some VOIP. RAM matters a lot more than two cores, so I'm leaning towards EDIS... any thoughts? But then again, I guess the UK is a better location latency-wise in general. And I do really want IPv6. Hmm! Has anyone tried both providers?

Edit: I'll throw in another point. I'm not doing anything illegal, nor do I wish to, but I would still like to choose a country with good (less bad?) respect for online privacy and without draconian takedown laws (these would probably not affect me in any way, but it's sort of a matter of principle for me... how do the UK and Switzerland compare here?).

Comments

• bretonbreton Member
    edited February 2012
    • The prices are almost exactly equal (although RH is paid in USD, EDIS in EUR).
    • EDIS gives me 1024 MB RAM instead of RH's 512.

Don't you think that paragraph 2 conflicts with paragraph 1?

• @breton: Sorry, I guess I was unclear. What I meant is that the specs listed below are for equally priced offerings. I agree that EDIS' doubling of RAM should almost warrant it being a different price group, but it's not.

• I had experience at EDIS and I had 100% server uptime for more or less 1 month though pingdom had detected packet loss for about an hour in that time. Great disk IO too. Also, I signed up before for a double ram so it was a very great offer.

No experience at RH.

• I use them both. And they both are performing really well. However I would choose Edis over ramhost, because you get more(ram) and Switzerland is an interesting location. Also Edis is a European company, while ramhost is US based. And you're from Norway, so maybe it is better to have a deal with a european company.

• Thanks, guys! These are exactly the kinds of informative comments I was hoping for.

If anybody else wants to chime in, feel free!

While I have your attention, I might also ask: Does anybody know if EDIS plans to offer IPv6 any time soon?

• I'm quite sure that Swiss and Austria are IPv6 ready, maybe you just have to contact them. The US KVM is the only one that is not IPv6 ready. I really think EDIS is one of the best yet unrecognized low end provider here.

• Awww, EDIS ftw, I don't care the ipv6 stuff, and you can always setup your own tunnel.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2012

It's not really pleasure to deal with Ramhost anymore if you need to open support ticket. Atleast not as it was first initial year. Maybe he's victim of own success.. don't know but that's not the same host as it was. It's not so bad but also not great.

Opposite from that those Edis guys are real pros. In every aspect.
    You may need to wait working hours to get reply but you will get it for sure and it will be always polite and useful. Beside that their service rock. I never had issue with their swiss location while austrian vps which I have even longer and they have full control over this location (their own DC) is "the real 100% uptime thing" :) Yeah, they rock!

• I recently replaced a Ramhost VPS with an EDIS VPS and am glad I did. I'm paying less and getting a much better VPS and on the rare occasion that I need support I get a response in minutes/hours instead of days.

• OK, thanks guy, I'll go with EDIS.

In case anybody comes across this thread later on and sees "ah, here's a guy leaving The Host House for EDIS/RH -- they must be bad!", let me just clarify: The Host House have been great and I've not experienced a single problem for the roughly a year I've used them. The only reason I'm leaving is that I was looking for a slight upgrade anyway, and EDIS/RH simply give better specs for the buck.

Thanked by 1djvdorp