Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Vultr Bare Metal Servers - hourly billing available

Vultr Bare Metal Servers - hourly billing available

From the beginning, the team at Vultr has focused on making all aspects of hosting infrastructure management easier for everyone. Today we are excited to bring the simplicity of the Vultr platform to an old hosting industry stalwart - dedicated servers - by introducing the brand new Vultr Bare Metal product line!

Powered by Vultr's cloud orchestration, you can now easily deploy single-tenant physical dedicated servers with zero virtualization layer. We’ve also added an array of cloud features typically only available for standard compute, such as hourly billing, fast api-driven deployment, and availability in multiple geographic regions.

Direct Hardware Access
Vultr Bare Metal provides direct access to the full power of the underlying physical hardware without a virtualization layer. On our platform, you'll be in the driver's seat of a real, physical server, with the convenience and simplicity of Vultr automation. Bare metal servers are also single-tenant only which means that only you will have full access to the resources of your server.

Worldwide Deployment
Deploy bare metal hardware around the world in 10 minutes or less using our point-and-click control panel. We are first introducing bare metal in Singapore and more locations will be rolled out in the coming weeks.

Flexible Resource Management
Easily scale and customize your bare metal environment via our user-friendly customer portal or by using our flexible API. In addition, all bare metal plans include the same no long term contract terms and hourly billing you’ve come to expect from our standard compute offerings.

All Standard Operating Systems
The complete Vultr operating system library has been updated to support bare metal servers. This includes all our versions of Linux, Windows, and BSD with full root/administrator access. Seamlessly switch between virtual and bare metal hardware without having to compromise!

https://www.vultr.com/news/Deploy-Bare-Metal-Cloud-Servers-With-Vultr/

Lineup currently starts from $0.446/hr, but interestingly they note an Atom version coming soon, presumably that will challenge this price point.

Is this a first on this scale?

Those worried about RAID can now configure their own SW RAID!

Thanked by 1BecomeWebHost

Comments

• ZerpyZerpy Member

Very prem indeed.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

@Neoon said: 300$ for a Intel Xeon E3....

On hourly billing ? It's very cheap, and gigantic exposure to them.

Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

Thanked by 1kcaj
  • NeoonNeoon Member

@Clouvider said: On hourly billing ? It's very cheap, and gigantic exposure to them.

So you take some 50$ E3's, put "CLOUD" on it which make them 300$ is cheap?

Maybe in some locations its more expensive sure, but generally 300$ for an Xeon E3 is expensive as fuck.

Thanked by 3Yura rm_ ariq01
  • kcajkcaj Member
    edited December 2

@Neoon said:

@Clouvider said: On hourly billing ? It's very cheap, and gigantic exposure to them.

So you take some 50$ E3's, put "CLOUD" on it which make them 300$ is cheap?

Maybe in some locations its more expensive sure, but generally 300$ for an Xeon E3 is expensive as fuck.

You're missing the trick here. They're being offered on a hourly lease. This will be extremely attractive for many with short work loads which require dedicated resources.

Now they can rent that server for the one day a month they need to run their analytics app, now they scale their app/load horizontally for short periods of time without the need to keep hardware on lease all month round. Just a few examples, the possibilities this opens up is significant.

Do you read your posts before you send them ?

This is an hourly billed server. Might be in use for maybe an hour a day, but you still have to pay for the space, committed power, switch ports, staff, maintenance, and ... You still have to buy the server.

So yeah, you put a cloud tag on it, switch hourly billing on, and you may get a $300 if someone actually keeps it a month, which I seriously doubt.

Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

• It's around 3x the speed of an Atom C2750 which you can get (bare metal) at Scaleway for 0.036 euro/hour or 18 euro/month. Also, nocix.net has some hourly servers (dual X5520) for a fraction of what Vultr wants. They had i7-3770 for 7 cents an hour or $50/month for a long while, but that seems to be gone now.

• kcajkcaj Member
    edited December 2

willie said: but that seems to be gone now.

That was sort of the point I was getting to when asking if this had been done on this scale before. I'm sure I've seen hourly dedi offers before, but not necessarily from a company with a stable track record - with stability comes continuity which businesses can rely on.

• ehabehab Member

@kcaj i expect you take it for a spin and add some comments in future?

• LeeLee Member
    edited December 2

This is actually quite good, I keep a dedi on tap for certain jobs that need to the power it offers, but not needed 24/7, this would be far more economical. Others that have done this are not so reliable.

When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.

• NeoonNeoon Member
    edited December 2

@Clouvider said: Do you read your posts before you send them ?

This is an hourly billed server. Might be in use for maybe an hour a day, but you still have to pay for the space, committed power, switch ports, staff, maintenance, and ... You still have to buy the server.

Still, thats 12$ per day, which is expensive.
    Rent it just for 2 days and you could buy yourself a dedicated E3, depending on Location of course.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • LeeLee Member

Neoon said: Still, thats 12$ per day, which is expensive.

Yeah, but the point @Clouvider is making is that if you needed it on average an hour a day then $13 or thereabouts per month is far less than renting the whole thing monthly elsewhere.

Depends on use case, nobody I would hope would see that as something they would rent from Vultr for the whole month.

When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

Dunno why no one points out yet that E3-1270V6 is a single CPU, not 8 CPUs, it's not capable in running in even 2S and has 4 Cores (with Hyperthreading). This is very much false advertising ;-).

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Provider

@Neoon said: Still, thats 12$ per day, which is expensive.

$0.446 x 24 = 10.704 ~= $10.70/day

The point is, the market segmet is totally different. There are people who run applications and utilize 100% of the CPU thereby causing the issue of "noisy neighbours" and then they get emails from the provider for causing load, blah blah.

So, with this "dedicated server" on an hourly basis, people belonging to those market segment will rejoice.

Its not a bad move afterall, here we just fail to look at the specific market segment.

Current Offer: Panama VPS | Japan VPS (SoftBank DC, Tokyo) | India VPS (Mumbai DC) VPSBit.com - Lithuania & HK VPS | 2Sync.co - Multi-location VPS | ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in Exotic Locations!

• NeoonNeoon Member

Its overpriced.

If may be useful for people who use it for 1-2 Hours a month, but when you go over 24 hours, its getting expensive as fuck.

Depending on how much times you need this server 1-2 hours a month, you rather buy a dedi.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@Neoon said: Its overpriced.

If may be useful for people who use it for 1-2 Hours a month, but when you go over 24 hours, its getting expensive as fuck.

Depending on how much times you need this server 1-2 hours a month, you rather buy a dedi.

Sure - but the product is made towards people needing on-demand dedicated no-noisy neighbours - it's not many providers that can you can find that will have that in stock, even if you rent on a monthly basis - and have it ready within 10 minutes.

If everything is about cost, then people would also stop using AWS - because you can just buy Vultr VMs with more resources for same price and let them idle.

• kcaj said: done on this scale before

Scaleway has had hourly dedis for years. Amazon recently announced them. The "on-demand" model only works if you have enough hardware that units are always in stock. Amazon does that with its spot market for VM's, but remember it takes a lot longer to get a dedi ready for the next person. E.g. you have to erase the disks, unless these are SAN-only.

• I don't get the debate since this is hourly. The whole point is not to use this monthly.

I have an app that I demonstrate to people. It is demonstrated 2-3 hours a month. I don't even think I pay 50 cents a month for this. I turned off the dyno when I am not using it.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Provider

Hmmm dedi in Singapore with 1gig of NTT, GTT and PCCW for 300$? Nice

• packet net competitor?

• I agree it's quite expensive for someone that doesn't utilize everything and it's only worth it to use it for a few hours.

But the 10GbE network looks cool though.

Adobe Creative Cloud For Teams All Apps 1 Year @ $20. I'll go first, Skype: live:createprivateserver, Discord: 5TicksDaikin#0922 or PM

Avast Ultimate 1 PC 3 Years @ $20

• edited December 5

@Neoon with all due respect $300 for an E3 is relatively super cheap for a lot of people. Maybe too cheap.

You are obviously not in the market segment that is intended to buy these servers full time, yes the full month. They are intended for people that have money to afford servers, not those asking for free servers donation.

Packet.net and even Vultr new dedicated servers are for people that can afford them, jokes on you because you can't even afford small servers for your own services.

If you need help, I'm always here to help you. Just pm me with anything technical!

Thanked by 1Rapidwire
  • NeoonNeoon Member
    edited December 5

@IAlwaysBeCoding said: @Neoon with all due respect $300 for an E3 is relatively super cheap for a lot of people. Maybe too cheap.

This is how you define "cheap", I pay in average 13EUR per month for one dedicated server.
    I am not talking about atom servers, 16gig+ 6k CPU Benchmark+.

You are obviously not in the market segment that is intended to buy these servers full time, yes the full month. They are intended for people that have money to afford servers, not those asking for free servers donation.

There are companies that are able to afford several $300 E3 servers, and are not asking for donations on LET for free LET vps to run their "game servers" .

I never asked for donations, I asked for sponsors, there is a difference.

Look at packet.net, they are selling E3 for $292, and V5. Do you think people buying their servers monthly are complaining? Of course not, some people actually a realistic budget for production servers

This production bullshit again, just because you paying 300$ for a server does not mean its more premium or production ready.

You can create the same stuff on cheaper servers, even with HA.

and are scraping the bottom of the barrel "donated" vps to run their half-ass projects(that they can't even afford to host).

1/3 of FireFlyGaming is sponsored, no words.

• deankdeank Member
    edited December 5

When you look at the bottom for so long, you forget that there is sky above.

LET-Lives-Matter | I am a sarcastic troll and has a fetish in PMS. For kids, PMS means "Premenstrual syndrome" and guys can have PMS.

• Timtimo13Timtimo13 Member
    edited December 5

E3 might not be THE feature but the server does have 10GbE... Thats kind of a feature isn't it?

btw. is any of you guys using hourly billed servers and stops using them after some work?

I couldn't imagine any workload for a hourly billed server...

• IAlwaysBeCoding said: They are intended for people that have money to afford servers, not those asking for free servers donation.

You mean they want to donate to Vultr instead?

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Provider

E3-1270v6, 32GB RAM 10GE with 5TB bandwidth in Singapore with NTT, GTT & PCCW, hourly billed.

That's more than reasonable. Just because it's not for you doesn't make it for others. If you can point me to a similar specification from another provider with a similar network I will be amazed.

Do keep in mind, OVH's entire DC has a 10G link back to their local PoP. I wouldn't compare with OVH.

VMHaus - High Performance NVMe SSD Cloud Servers, Free Anti-DDoS, Free BGP Sessions
    Follow us on twitter | Network Info (AS136620) | Service Status | Looking Glass

Thanked by 2Iam v3ng
  • Considering vultr hourly billing and premium network+reliability This is a good deal for a dedicated

• LeeLee Member

Neoon said: This is how you define "cheap", I pay in average 13EUR per month for one dedicated server. I am not talking about atom servers, 16gig+ 6k CPU Benchmark+.

No, that is how you define cheap, many others look at it that way also, I don't. I consider 50-75 EUR per month cheap if it meets all my requirements.

Thanked by 2Clouvider vmhaus
  • Laugh at Vultr but their core product is better than digital ocean

grape

• vmhaus said: E3-1270v6, 32GB RAM 10GE with 5TB bandwidth in Singapore with NTT, GTT & PCCW, hourly billed.

Unless that's a different network than you get with their $5/month VPS instance in the same location, it does sound like you're paying an awful lot for just the E3 hardware. Even though the $5/month VPS comes with just 1TB, you could get 5 of them, or for that matter get their $80/month VPS that comes with 5TB bw, 16gb ram, and 6 vcores.

• hopefully, they can compete with scaleway.

• @Makkesk8 said: hopefully, they can compete with scaleway.

No one can compete with Scaleway, they are on their own "special" league.

For starters, their SAN is not a dedicated local disk, so is slow as shit. Secondly, their "powerhouse" servers are a joke, and expensive.

I would personally rate Scaleway way lower than Linode, Vultr, and DigitalOcean.

In fact, only because DigitalOcean has the network effect and was one of the first one to offer $5 vps with SSD, I will rate them as marginally the best.

If it wasn't for DigitalOcean, then Linode wouldn't have gotten their shit together. However, Vultr and Linode are considered by many as better than DigitalOcean with 2x the specs for the price(hardware , ram).

If you need help, I'm always here to help you. Just pm me with anything technical!

• @IAlwaysBeCoding said:

@Makkesk8 said: hopefully, they can compete with scaleway.

No one can compete with Scaleway, they are on their own "special" league.

For starters, their SAN is not a dedicated local disk, so is slow as shit. Secondly, their "powerhouse" servers are a joke, and expensive.

I would personally rate Scaleway way lower than Linode, Vultr, and DigitalOcean.

In fact, only because DigitalOcean has the network effect and was one of the first one to offer $5 vps with SSD, I will rate them as marginally the best.

If it wasn't for DigitalOcean, then Linode wouldn't have gotten their shit together. However, Vultr and Linode are considered by many as better than DigitalOcean with 2x the specs for the price(hardware , ram).

You are sucked up in the DO is for devs bshit hype. The only thing DO has over vultr is the hipster crowd

grape

• LeeLee Member

corbpie said: You are sucked up in the DO is for devs bshit hype. The only thing DO has over vultr is the hipster crowd

DO works, it's reliable and a better feature set (at the moment) than all others. That is not hype, just fact.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: If it wasn't for DigitalOcean, then Linode wouldn't have gotten their shit together.

That's true, Linode had it good for many years, they backtracked at least twice on their intended plans when they realised all the ground they were loosing to DO initially.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Vultr and Linode are considered by many as better than DigitalOcean with 2x the specs for the price(hardware , ram).

Twice the spec does not make a service better.

Thanked by 1IAlwaysBeCoding
  • raindog308raindog308 Moderator
    edited December 5

corbpie said: Laugh at Vultr but their core product is better than digital ocean

Genuinely curious why you'd say that. I've used both and like both, but I wouldn't say Vultr's "core product" is better.

Vultr has features DO doesn't, and DO has features DO doesn't. The significance of these features (custom ISOs, DDOS protection, storage-oriented nodes, bare metal, load balancers, different kinds of VMs, able to PM a guy who works there, etc.) depends on you. Vultr is in some location DO isn't, but the reverse is true as well.

But the "core product" seems pretty identical to me: standardized API-accessible SSD-based VMs with a fixed bandwidth allocation. Both providers are fighting mightily to differentiate with features, but what's the major, better difference in the core?

My Advice: VPS Advice

For LET support, please click here.

• jiggawattzjiggawattz Member
    edited December 5

Digital Ocean used to be the best for spamming until they got a few /20 listed.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • LeeLee Member

raindog308 said: but what's the major, better difference in the core?

Vultr doesn't need raid?

• WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider

@Neoon said: 300$ for a Intel Xeon E3....

it's quad premium Intel Xeon E3, it's so premium you will not believe it!

VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
    Looking for storage VPS and managed service? Check our VPS4Storage website and get 40% OFF for lifetime.
  • When Vultr launched in Singapore, I've like 3-4 hypervisor downtimes within a week.

DigitalOcean, I just find that their network seems to be slow.

And as of Linode, so far so good. But their advertised Network In / Network Out is a little ridiculous.

Adobe Creative Cloud For Teams All Apps 1 Year @ $20. I'll go first, Skype: live:createprivateserver, Discord: 5TicksDaikin#0922 or PM

Avast Ultimate 1 PC 3 Years @ $20

• @Lee said:

Neoon said: This is how you define "cheap", I pay in average 13EUR per month for one dedicated server. I am not talking about atom servers, 16gig+ 6k CPU Benchmark+.

No, that is how you define cheap, many others look at it that way also, I don't. I consider 50-75 EUR per month cheap if it meets all my requirements.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts too. Everyone can go ahead and grab a machine at OVH/SYS/Kimsufi and get something stupidly cheap but not everyone wants this.

The fact they're doing hourly billed bare metal is really quite cool and certainly great for those users who might only need the server for 2-3 days a month.

There will always be cheaper options around but they're not necessarily the better options.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • IThinkUFailed said: those users who might only need the server for 2-3 days a month.

Do you think it will be in stock when they need it?

• @willie said:

IThinkUFailed said: those users who might only need the server for 2-3 days a month.

Do you think it will be in stock when they need it?

I'd definitely hope so and I think if they do this on any type of scale then it should definitely be ready to go whenever required.

• IThinkUFailed said:

I'd definitely hope so and I think if they do this on any type of scale then it should definitely be ready to go whenever required.

I ask that because it's expensive to let powerful hardware sit around idle. Scaleway dedis are often/usually out of stock, and I've seen situations where big EC2 instances are out of stock. EC2 and GCP might now have alleviated that problem through the spot market, where you pay less for preemptable instances. I wonder how that would work for a dedi.

• @willie said:

IThinkUFailed said:

I ask that because it's expensive to let powerful hardware sit around idle. Scaleway dedis are often/usually out of stock, and I've seen situations where big EC2 instances are out of stock. EC2 and GCP might now have alleviated that problem through the spot market, where you pay less for preemptable instances. I wonder how that would work for a dedi.

I'm sure it makes financial sense to them. They're likely part of Supermicro's MicroCloud range meaning 8 or 12 servers per 3U and these servers are quite power efficient.

• @raindog308 said:

corbpie said: Laugh at Vultr but their core product is better than digital ocean

Genuinely curious why you'd say that. I've used both and like both, but I wouldn't say Vultr's "core product" is better.

Vultr has features DO doesn't, and DO has features DO doesn't. The significance of these features (custom ISOs, DDOS protection, storage-oriented nodes, bare metal, load balancers, different kinds of VMs, able to PM a guy who works there, etc.) depends on you. Vultr is in some location DO isn't, but the reverse is true as well.

But the "core product" seems pretty identical to me: standardized API-accessible SSD-based VMs with a fixed bandwidth allocation. Both providers are fighting mightily to differentiate with features, but what's the major, better difference in the core?

More options in sizes, Alot more locations, better perfomance and then it comes down to similar features so quite frankly i dont know why youd bother with DO? Their marketing and partnership with Github are pulling in Macbook using Starbucks drinking indie devs to an overrated business

grape

• IThinkUFailed said:

I'm sure it makes financial sense to them.

Demand rises and falls depending on the time of month and whatever else. I'm sure that at least at the busiest times, they want all their hardware to be collecting revenue instead of idling, but that's exactly when the on-demand user will be hosed.

Imagine an airline pricing its seats so that its flights never get full, or a hotel making sure they always have vacancies, just so they can accomodate customers who need the service on demand and are willing to pay for it. It just doesn't happen as far as I've seen. So I think there will be times when those servers are out of stock.

• jiggawattzjiggawattz Member
    edited December 6

I'd like to point out that short term rentals are always more expensive than long term rentals, in every rent-seeking industry. And a quality brand doesn't have to sell at commodity prices.

And @DaveA , having already built a successful and growing business, probably doesn't need a lecture on how to do so. And unless you are a hobbyist German entomologist there is probably nothing profound you amateurs can contribute to the topic.

• jiggawattz said: I'd like to point out that short term rentals are always more expensive than long term rentals, in every rent-seeking industry.

Sure, for example Scaleway is about 1.5x cheaper monthly than hourly. 1.5x difference seems fine and I do use hourly Scaleways sometimes. I couldn't see paying a 10x difference (Vultr hourly vs Hetzner monthly) except possibly for a one-off experiment.

• kcajkcaj Member

More locations added.

Thanked by 2Aidan eva2000