Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to detected vps I ordered have a dedicate cpu thread/core ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to detected vps I ordered have a dedicate cpu thread/core ?

Seems many of vps providers didn't mention that they sell is dedicated.

like linode plans:

no matter what number of "cores" the plan have, they are all not dedicated?

Comments

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

usually providers will mention it . Also you can check the terms and conditions

Thanked by 1cppgohan
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

It is a VPS you do NOT have dedicated cores, you can also tell by applying common sense on the price.

They are almost never dedicated unless specifically sold as such and usually more expensive as a result because CPU's are not free sadly.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

If nothing about dedicated is mentioned on the order form, treat it as shared.

• which provider have a dedicated CPU VPS services with same or lower price as buyvm slice?

• @hardgamers said:
    which provider have a dedicated CPU VPS services with same or lower price as buyvm slice?

Check out wishosting.com, they have some dedicated CPU plans.

Thanked by 1hardgamers
  • @dedipromo said:

@hardgamers said:
    which provider have a dedicated CPU VPS services with same or lower price as buyvm slice?

Check out wishosting.com, they have some dedicated CPU plans.

Not dedicated, unlimited. From what I saw @exception0x876 sells 2 "unlimited" threads for every thread the host has. So worst-case (everyone maxxing cpu) you get half a core cpu performance for every vCPU you have.

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

teamacc said: So worst-case (everyone maxxing cpu) you get half a core cpu performance for every vCPU you have.

That is if sharing works well. if not... I am curious what providers use to make sure nobody does more than 50% in case of full load.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited December 2017

@Maounique said:

teamacc said: So worst-case (everyone maxxing cpu) you get half a core cpu performance for every vCPU you have.

That is if sharing works well. if not... I am curious what providers use to make sure nobody does more than 50% in case of full load.

In the case of HVH, they lock it to 800Mhz, no matter how many times they try to claim otherwise (and eventually fall back to oh, well Solus does that automatically). In OVZ it's quite trivial to lock down CPU utilization.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Usually you ask them before buying it or you can just put a cpu miner on it and look how long it takes until they suspend you.

Thanked by 1cppgohan
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2017

That will not account for the idle cpu in the other side of the thread. I mean it cannot scale if there is free cpu left.

EDIT:

WSS said: HVH

Ah, ok...

WSS said: In OVZ it's quite trivial to lock down CPU utilization.

Indeed, however, I found out it does not work, I mean, it does limit cpu for the abuser, but the load does not go down, even if you leave him with 1 Mhz. I am not sure what OVZ does but i suspect it actually pads the usage with nop or something.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited December 2017

@Maounique said:
    Indeed, however, I found out it does not work, I mean, it does limit cpu for the abuser, but the load does not go down, even if you leave him with 1 Mhz. I am not sure what OVZ does but i suspect it actually pads the usage with nop or something.

I'd be interested to see what /proc/user_beancounters has to say for these.. Also cpulimit vs cpuunits; I know it's buggy as heck under rhel6's OVZ kernels, but that seems to be what everyone who does major OVZ still seems to run with.

• @hardgamers said:
    which provider have a dedicated CPU VPS services ...

Scaleway ARMv8 (4 dedicated physical cores) and C2750 (1 dedicated physical core -- includes HT).

Both VPS with 2GB RAM; 50GB SSD; unmetered data transfer; hourly billing; Paris/Amsterdam; 3 euro/month ; credit card (no PayPal).

• @teamacc said:

Not dedicated, unlimited. From what I saw @exception0x876 sells 2 "unlimited" threads for every thread the host has. So worst-case (everyone maxxing cpu) you get half a core cpu performance for every vCPU you have.

after i check their site, Wishosting have hybrid server that give dedicated cpu vps. I already confirm this with @exception0x876.

i already try to order one and i hope i will get it ..

• hardgamers said: , Wishosting have hybrid server that give dedicated cpu vps. I already confirm this with @exception0x876.

Yes, those are good, they're just much more expensive than shared-cpu VPS's including BuyVM's. What is the application? If it's mining, doing it on a cpu at all is marginal at best.

• @willie said:

Yes, those are good, they're just much more expensive than shared-cpu VPS's including BuyVM's. What is the application? If it's mining, doing it on a cpu at all is marginal at best.

no, i never have any interest on mining, TE etc ..

i have several custom made scripts that i want to test but those scripts probably will use 100% CPU for several minutes ( 5-15 minutes or more but it can repeat on each hour ) so i don't want to abuse any of shared vps that i already have ...