Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Other options than Teamviewer and Logmein for business?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Other options than Teamviewer and Logmein for business?

myhkenmyhken Member
edited November 2017 in General

We are using Teamviewer to do remote support on lots of computers and some servers. We have a 6 channel license today. Before Teamviewer offered lifetime licenses, but now they only offer one year contracts as a minimum. For 6 channels (aka 6 current users at the same time) they want around €1900/year.

I have checked the price on Logmein, they want €845year for 5 computers at the same time, and €1520/year for 10 computers.

What other options do we have? We have also checked out Splashtop, but they have another price model, based on computers with the software installed. That's not practical, since we often do support on a computer, and it can takes years before they contact us again.

Are there other good options out there that is cheaper then Teamviewer/Logmein if we are talking about at least 6 channels/computers at the same time.

Comments

• VNC?

Thanked by 1myhken
  • VNC + Smartcode VNC Manager

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Isn't it more complicated for customers to prepare the vnc server? You get Teamviewer ID/pass in a couple seconds from a portable version.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited November 2017

@cpsd said:
    You get Teamviewer ID/pass in a couple seconds from a portable version.

That's what you pay for.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • But just use the free version of VNC? Or type realvnc.com?
    Realvnc.com can offer a price of €1020/year for 6 persons. But we are more then 6, and they are using the term "named technician" so most likely we need to buy a license for each technician, and then the price will be higher then Teamviewer/Logmein.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited November 2017

@myhken said:
    But just use the free version of VNC? Or type realvnc.com?

VNC is a protocol so there are many clients for it.

http://tigervnc.org/

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Are you connecting to devices on the same internal network or external as well?

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited November 2017

AlexanderM said: Are you connecting to devices on the same internal network or external as well?

It's just external and on customers without any service agreement with us. All with service agreement have AutoTask Endpoint Management installed, and there we have splashtop and VNC and RDP for servers.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Yeah, I have been down that rabbit hole myself, in the end we settled on rdp to server and vnc on every pc so the process was rdp to the server onsite desktop, sent a silent scheduled task to the pc to start the vnc server in 1 minute, connect from the rdp desktop over vnc to the users desktop.

It got clunky as hell, ended up with a custom solution that basically coded that all together in 1 neat package and tracked everything through a custom web ui.

That was also after testing spiceworks and dameware.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • We use Screenconnect but the answer to your problem is... a vps/vpn.
    Order from Teamviewer with a Ukraine (and many other countries) IP and you will get it at a fraction of the price.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited November 2017

@mykhen

Anydesk may be ? I'm using it semi-professionally for the last 2 years (free version) and it works fine and dandy, though my frequency is about 2-3 sessions a week.

check their plans https://anydesk.com/order

Thanked by 1myhken
  • nulldevnulldev Member
    edited November 2017

Nomachine works fine for me.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Ultraviewer. Basically the same with TeamViewer. You got ID and password. Except that it's free.

Also remote desktop over VPN. Everybody knows how easy it is to connect to VPN.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said:
    Yeah, I have been down that rabbit hole myself, in the end we settled on rdp to server and vnc on every pc so the process was rdp to the server onsite desktop, sent a silent scheduled task to the pc to start the vnc server in 1 minute, connect from the rdp desktop over vnc to the users desktop.

It got clunky as hell, ended up with a custom solution that basically coded that all together in 1 neat package and tracked everything through a custom web ui.

That was also after testing spiceworks and dameware.

What problems did you have with Dameware? I've been using it every day for the last two years and it's been great for me!

Never used spiceworks

• Sounds like an open source project opportunity.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2017

AlexanderM said: What problems did you have with Dameware? I've been using it every day for the last two years and it's been great for me!

We had compatibility issues with eset and avast RTP (as we later discovered) it would work for weeks then random PC's on the network would not be reachable until dameware was reinstalled, we provided them with literally 50 examples they could offer no resolution.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • Lots of good suggestions here, will check them out soon.

• jhjh Member

VNC is fine if you don't care about lag. GoToAssist will probably work out cheaper than LogMeIn and Teamviewer and it's just as good if not better. If they're Windows machines then Remote Desktop (obviously).

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

There's also ScreenConnect, but "ShowMyPC" is going to be the most affordable non-self-hosted. https://showmypc.com/service/index.html - $220/year for 10 PCs. I've used both throughout the years with smaller-sized businesses, and they work fine. Setting up a VNC service and port knocking to get through to the machines works as well.

• @jh said:
    VNC is fine if you don't care about lag. GoToAssist will probably work out cheaper than LogMeIn and Teamviewer and it's just as good if not better. If they're Windows machines then Remote Desktop (obviously).

That's my experience with VNC, it's laggy and do not work so smooth as Teamviewer.
    Remote Desktop is not a good options, for it's not enabled by default on workstations. And first have to get the customer to enable RDC, and then also forcing them to set a password on their user (most have this already, but not all) and then connect, will take to much time.

• I was looking into this a few weeks ago. Haven't tried Remote Utilities but it looked promising.
    https://www.remoteutilities.com/

Thanked by 1myhken
  • What? Teamviewer doesn’t sell lifetime anymore? We had a license son 5 or 8 years back and updated/renewed yearly, but I am pretty sure that the license itself was lifetime, only it would not work with newer versions.
    At the end I decided that the versions didn’t really change that much so it’s not worth upgrading.

And then we left for a proper OT-remote support solution instead of that desktop IT stuff.

Which is another topic entirely. But a really cool solution, already then had 2factor auth with smartcards, a rendezvous server etc etc.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Splashtop sir.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Ultraviewer Dude, check it out. It works exactly the same with Teamviewer. Except that it's free.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @Hxxx said:
    Splashtop sir.

But their price model is not good. They only offer per computer licenses, so installed on one computer = 1 license.
    In a year, we can help hundreds of computers - so it will be expencive. But for all our managed customers, we are using AutoTask AEM, and there we have free splashtop.

• But thank you for all the help. My owner did just decide that we go for Teamviewer, based on that's what our customers is used to, it's the most simple setup (just download and run the quick install), and the price compared with Logmein was not so far off, and VNC is to laggy to use in our business. So I just paid €1.950 for one year with Teamviewer.

• try parallels

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @myhken said:
    , it's the most simple setup (just download and run the quick install)

So does Ultraviewer.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • CLPetersCLPeters Member
    edited November 2017

http://www.aeroadmin.com is what I use. I think there is a 30% off coupon floating around out there somewhere also.Edit: Found it. No longer works. :(

Thanked by 1myhken