Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PLEX Server - Supermicro 6-bay Opteron 1385 8GB - Is This To Slow??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PLEX Server - Supermicro 6-bay Opteron 1385 8GB - Is This To Slow??

PLEX Server - Supermicro 6-bay Opteron 1385 8GB
Is This To Slow, to be a plex server for 4 families?

Comments

• Even a KS 1 should be enough for handling 2-3 concurrent streaming...

• @painfreepc said:

You need to explain your use case.

What is the maximum quality of the content you are streaming?

What is the maximum number of streams you estimate will be used concurrently?

Will you need to transcode any of the content, or can all content be played natively by the Plex clients?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Depends on the devices you're streaming to and the format of the content. If you're direct streaming, then it's perfectly fine. If you need to do transcoding then you might run into issues streaming even two 1080p streams. As a rule of thumb, you'll need a 2000 passmark score per 1080p stream and 1500 passmark score per 720p (Source). That server has a passmark of ~3500.

• @Nekki said:

@painfreepc said:

You need to explain your use case.

What is the maximum quality of the content you are streaming?

What is the maximum number of streams you estimate will be used concurrently?

Will you need to transcode any of the content, or can all content be played natively by the Plex clients?

Quality of the content, Max 720p

No transcode, No more than 3 streams concurrently,

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited November 2017

If you don’t need to transcode, as has been said, you could run the Plex server off a KS-1 with no issue, so that Opteron will be more than up to the task.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @MasonR said:
    Depends on the devices you're streaming to and the format of the content. If you're direct streaming, then it's perfectly fine. If you need to do transcoding then you might run into issues streaming even two 1080p streams. As a rule of thumb, you'll need a 2000 passmark score per 1080p stream and 1500 passmark score per 720p (Source). That server has a passmark of ~3500.

Supermicro 6-bay Opteron 1385 8GB 2x2TB Rent Only Special (Bonus 4TB FREE)

yes it's slow, this my last day to make a payment, may be going back to stock..

• Opteron 1385 Bench Mark 3,442

I am letting the server go, to slow for friends and family use..

• painfreepc said: Opteron 1385 Bench Mark 3,442

I am letting the server go, to slow for friends and family use..

It's really not.

If you're seeing performance problems, you need to investigate further. There's every chance you could get something with a 3xfaster CPU and it make no difference.

• 'last day to make a payment' i sure hope you cancelled appropriately and aren't just skipping out on the bill and letting it terminate

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited November 2017

@hzr said:
    'last day to make a payment' i sure hope you cancelled appropriately and aren't just skipping out on the bill and letting it terminate

I just paid the bill, going set it up as a plex server and see how it goes..

that's a lot of storage, really don't need to keep it..

• painfreepc said: I just paid the bill, going set it up as a plex server and see how it goes..

How have you jumped from cancelling to paying the bill in 15 minutes?

Thanked by 2benj0x netomx
  • @Nekki said:

painfreepc said: I just paid the bill, going set it up as a plex server and see how it goes..

• why, > @vish said:

@Nekki said:

painfreepc said: I just paid the bill, going set it up as a plex server and see how it goes..

you the one that must be bipolar and you went from helpful advice to total a-hole in 9.999999 Star Trek warp speed

• I run a Plex server at home on an Orange Pi PC (ARM processor, 1GB RAM, 100BaseT) and can accommodate 3 no-transcode 720p x264 MKV streams. The Opteron is MORE than enough.

• @rajprakash said:
    I run a Plex server at home on an Orange Pi PC (ARM processor, 1GB RAM, 100BaseT) and can accommodate 3 no-transcode 720p x264 MKV streams. The Opteron is MORE than enough.

Thank you very much for your help and advice at least more than a few people on this forum are not totally a-holes..

edited November 2017

I don't understand the question how did I decide to pay my bill in 15 minutes, I was being told by ticket that my server was due for immediate termination,

That's a lot of storage for $25 per month and it's a dedicated server not a goddamn VPS and for only a few bucks more you can go from 10 terabytes to 20 terabytes, so I made a decision..

• painfreepc said: I don't understand the question how did I decide to pay my bill in 15 minutes, I was being told by ticket that I was due for immediate termination so I made a fucking decision..

You're a proper bell mate.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • painfreepc said: I don't understand the question how did I decide to pay my bill in 15 minutes, I was being told by ticket that I was due for immediate termination so I made a decision..

oh you're one of THOSE PEOPLE

• I installed plex last night, going to try some test videos..

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited November 2017

@painfreepc said:

I just paid the bill

Was waiting to grab that server if you cancelled it XD

8TB for $25 is a steal.

Thanked by 2netomx Maounique
  • @msg7086 said: Was waiting to grab that server if you cancelled it XD

It was available for quite sometime on Dacentec's website yesterday. Keep looking.

• @painfreepc said: I installed plex last night, going to try some test videos..

What were you using it for all this time?

edited November 2017

@saibal said:

@painfreepc said: I installed plex last night, going to try some test videos..

What were you using it for all this time?

i paid the invoice, i am keeping the server..

Using mostly as a failover for my websites, manually using cloudflare,

and some small storage and backups..

• '4 families' is probably too much for the server, consider one of you guys will have to transcode the video somehow, sometime. Or you really meant a family of 4.

• @Laxenade said:
    '4 families' is probably too much for the server, consider one of you guys will have to transcode the video somehow, sometime. Or you really meant a family of 4.

it will be 3 families, total of 4 users.

• link to the offer page? that server is good enough for only 4 users with 1-2 transcode of 720p

• It's no longer available. Keep checking https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart/dedicated-servers/ and it might show up.

edited December 2017

For any one that is still on the green side of "tech know how"

I found a great Plex Install tutorial that's newbie friendly,

Very few sites say any thing about the SSH Tunnel:

Plex Media Server on Minimal Centos 6.5
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/132843/plex-media-server-on-minimal-centos-6-5

Setting up an SSH Tunnel for Plex 
    https://plaza.quickbox.io/t/setting-up-an-ssh-tunnel-for-plex/135

• @painfreepc said:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/132843/plex-media-server-on-minimal-centos-6-5

It's literally in their own documentation... https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200288586-Installation

Thanked by 2MasonR doughmanes
    edited December 2017

@cvium said:

@painfreepc said:

It's literally in their own documentation... https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200288586-Installation

It's literally not newbie friendly, a lot a saying to do something without saying how,

You Have a nice day..