Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with xrdp
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help with xrdp

NANONANO Member

Hi, Im using xrdp and xfce4

When I log-in everything is ok, I installed firefox and is working, but then I close the remote session... then I open it again and is not the same session... I mean firefox is not open and when I try to open it says I cant open because is already running...

How I can recover my previous (first) session when log-in in future sessions? I want just one desktop with firefox open with the sites I want, so if I log-in tomorrow I see the desktop exactly like I left it.

Any help please?

Comments

• Which distro and version are you using?

I suspect Ubuntu 16.04.

• NANONANO Member
    edited November 2017

Ubuntu 14.4 :) @lowendusername

• Check your sesman.ini config to see what is the default "Policy" for the connections (I'm not sure if the distro's modify it). Usually a combination of User + BitsPerPixel + Size or IP (or connection) will determine if a new session is created or if an existing one is reused. In your case a new session is being created and you'll have to check why that is the case.

man sesman.ini should help.

• There's a couple of tutorials for achieving this behaviour at c-nergy.be:
    http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=5439

Personally, on something as old as 14.04 I would custom compile and install a modern version of xrdp. https://github.com/neutrinolabs/xrdp/wiki/Building-on-Debian-8

• ..or just setup TigerVNC.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • TigerVNC and XRDP work well together, but on 14.04 I find custom compiled xorgxrdp and XRDP to be the best combination with XFCE4.

Thanked by 3NANO netomx Maounique
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

If I remember correct it is something about vnc opening another screen session for each new connection.

The solution is to force it to use session 0 all the time.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/133343/how-do-i-set-up-xrdp-session-that-reuses-an-existing-session

• Now Im getting troubles because the fonts in the login first screen are missing, so I cannot login, is a problem already confirmed in xrdp github.

After all I just need to use linux desktop in remote, what do you think is the best option to achieve this, something something because I have to install this in many vps so I dont want something too much fancy with lot of work to install.

• If you're OK with a special client, take a look at x2go. It's easy to install on the both ends and should-just-work.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Or use debian 7 since you have no problem using outdated os. works out of the box.

• @Maounique said:
    Or use debian 7 since you have no problem using outdated os. works out of the box.

Yeah I can use debian 7, what exactly you mean with works out of the box? what works out of the box and how?

• edited November 2017

Why are you using 14.04 rather than 16.04? Or Ubuntu rather than Debian?
    Debian Stretch with stretch-backports is currently giving me the best experience for installing xrdp, and it works out of the box. Ubuntu 16.04 using the ppa:hermlnx/xrdp respository also gives a good out of the box experience.

xrdp 0.9 with xorgxrdp has come on leaps and bounds compared to the older releases that were dependent on VNC.

• @lowendusername because Im using vps from a provider who only offer outdated isos :(

• hostsolutions? I use Debian Stretch with them and have upgraded their 14.04 image to 16.04 in the past.

Note that cociu doesn't offer any support for doing that though, and I recommend you start with a blank image. If you want me to post instructions, let me know, but this is getting beyond your original question about xrdp.

• @lowendusername No, I have hostsolutions storage vps but Im talking about cloudatcost.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2017

NANO said: what exactly you mean with works out of the box? what works out of the box and how?

A blank debian image with nothing but ssh and minimal libraries to run aptitude and stuff, network, etc:
    apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
    apt-get install xfce4 mc iceweasel xrdp

This will install a low footprint x desktop system with RDP capabilities, midnight commander and firefox LTS, just point your client to the ip/domain and insert username and password when asked, that is all. You can use root and works with OVZ too.

Thanked by 1NANO
  • OK, I don't have an account with them...........
    But, I did find this https://wiki.eddyn.net/CloudAtCost_Custom_OS

Thanked by 1NANO
  • Yup I found lot of info like that (including that) in the cloudatcost reddit, but for now Im ok with the old isos because I dont have much time.