Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fliphost Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fliphost Review

Recently I posted here on LET to see if I could find a provider to match the specs of a VPS that I have owned for over a year. Here is the thread:

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/12503/looking-for-new-us-provider-need-3gb-20gb-1tb-openvz-vps#latest

Around 10 providers responded to me in this thread or by sending me a PM. Not all of the providers responding could offer me SSD storage that I desired in the hope that it would improve speeds of my sites hosted on the old VPS. I decided to accept the offer made to me by Alex at Fliphost. My decision was based on matching my requirements exactly for what I believe was a reasonable price, one that was certainly less than some of the offers that I received.

The setup of my VPS was instantaneous once I paid the invoice. I had no trouble at all updating the base installation of Centos and installing Virtualmin. Most important to me, the I/O was impressive, over 800 MB per second compared to around 60 MB per second on my old VPS.

The most surprising thing for me has been the fact that the new VPS from flip host appears to use less memory for hosting the exact same number of sites that my previous VPS did. I have now added additional sites to this new VPS and I'm still not anywhere close to maxing out the available memory.

My happiness with the service offered by Fliphost can best be understood in terms of my place on the learning curve of hosting your own sites. Initially, when I wanted to get started I just selected the cheapest offer for the most resources that I could find on LEB. It did not take me long to realize that I may not have the most reliable host. My solution to this was to start purchasing VPSs from the providers that had the highest votes in the LEB polls. This worked out well in that I believe these VPSs are well-managed, have good resources, and correspondingly my sites appear to do well. But they are certainly near the top in terms of cost. In trying to find a good provider now, I think evaluating the offers that you can get from a posting on LET with a more experienced eye led me to Fliphost, which in my experience so far seems to offer an optimal combination of resources, performance and price.

Comments

• Was the old VPS using the 2.6.18 kernel? if so that might explain why more RAM was consumed.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Thank you for the review, we are most certainly glad to have you.

We work hard to make sure our servers are always preforming well, and I am glad that effort is shown in your review.

• On topic, all the best with Fliphost. They are a reliable host. I've also heard good things about their SSDs :)

• Old VPS: 2.6.18-308.el5.028stab099.3

New VPS: 2.6.32-042stab072.10

Does that explain it?

• I would say so, yes. The old 2.6.18 kernels are known to consume almost twice as much as the 2.6.32 kernels.