Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any alternative to openvpn?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any alternative to openvpn?

I want to try something else than openvpn..
isthere any available project that support udp, tcp, icmp, proxy tunnel ??
is there is no such project, can you suggets me any project other than softether?
I tried softether but i keep boring with tcp and udp.. its great if there any project support other than tcp and udp tunnel

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
  • spekkspekk Member
    edited September 2013

that tinc looks interesting because it fully supports ipv6, still it uses tun/tap just like openvpn

• I'm using tinc to add ipv6 addresses to ipv4 only vps's.

• @spekk said:
    that tinc looks interesting because it fully supports ipv6, still it uses tun/tap just like openvpn

First of all, OpenVPN supports IPv6 too.

Second of all, IPv6 with Tinc is a PITA to set up. Unless you're running in switch mode.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Keith said:
    I'm using tinc to add ipv6 addresses to ipv4 only vps's.

HE tunnel not easier?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Second of all, IPv6 with Tinc is a PITA to set up. Unless you're running in switch mode.

For a second I thought you were serious there, but then... lol, who uses the router mode of Tinc? To be honest I have no idea why it is there in the first place. The switch mode is the only way it should be used, it then emulates just plain old Ethernet and everything is nice and simple.

HE tunnel not easier?

If you were going to add them to your Tinc mesh anyway (for other purposes), might as well run v6 through it, rather than have a separate tunnel to HE.

• @rm_ said:
    For a second I thought you were serious there, but then... lol, who uses the router mode of Tinc? To be honest I have no idea why it is there in the first place. The switch mode is the only way it should be used, it then emulates just plain old Ethernet and everything is nice and simple.

I was serious. People asking why there's a router mode in tinc is like people asking why tun is the preferred mode of operation in OpenVPN. It's because some dumb cunt decided it shall be.

• well, back to the topic.. is there any available vpn project??
    I tried softether.. but cant manage to use tcp over dns :/

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

try peervpn

• @jarland said:
    HE tunnel not easier?

I originally set this up using native ipv6 addresses from my ISP, not using an HE tunnel as I can't get one to work from home. Also now using 6to4 addresses from xen/kvm vps's, which could give lower latency depending on location.
    HE have a limit of 5 tunnels, I would need more if I used HE tunnels.

Using switch mode, I haven't tried router mode.

• @psycholyzern said:
    well, back to the topic.. is there any available vpn project??
    I tried softether.. but cant manage to use tcp over dns :/

Tell us more details... how would you use this vpn?
    do you mean TCP over UDP:53 ? If that it is, you can do it easily with openvpn.

I'm guessing you may have problems with openvpn, have you?.

• @john_k said:
    I'm guessing you may have problems with openvpn, have you?.

nope.. Im now using openvpn.. just, I want to try other project..
    maybe proxy tunnel that using tun/tap device like pdproxy.com used..
    btw, tcp over udp:53, is that tcp over dns that they meant???

i thought it is like tunnel tcp over iodine

• @calimansi said:

You don't like softether.

I like softether because so easy to setup and to use..
    but, I dont understand what tcp over dns they meant and how to use it.. I just see tcp setting in the connection setting.. no tcp over dns

• @psycholyzern said:
    btw, tcp over udp:53, is that tcp over dns that they meant?

DNS is an application layer protocol that runs (mainly) over UDP on port 53, although it can also use TCP for large packets. Most firewalls have UDP:53 open for dns querying, so you can run a VPN on that port thru a FW.

• @john_k said:

so, its not like iodine project which send dns request to domain..
    I misunderstand about it.. thanks

• john_kjohn_k Member
    edited September 2013

The only answer I sometimes have for 'why the heck people want to re-invent the wheel?' is :: because I have fun while at it, or I have plenty of time on my hands, it's a hobby for me, or i like it when I learn new stuff on the side while playing ....
    /sarcasm off

IMHO, the best well tested bullet-proof VPN softs and applications are nowadays openvpn and IPSec. Those are the most used by traffic running on our peering. There may be others too, but with fewer overall share.

• IPsec?? I wanna try it

• CiscoVPN is also.. :)