Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post-BF: How to name all these boxes?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Post-BF: How to name all these boxes?

Ok guys,

dust settles and while some of us might still be chasing deals, many might already face the dilemma I always have when adding new boxes to the pack: How to name them?
I fancy proper names and I never change them (because re-christening is bad).

I've had my fair share of naming schemas...

• SciFi-related names, such as SOL, Mila, Andromeda, and very recently "Melody" [extra bonus if you understand where all these derive from]
  • The added twist that on virtualized systems the hypervisors always start with "s".
  • The time when we decided to go biblical and use the names of sons of Jakob (twelve). After the second or third one we thought we should give credit to the girls as well and include his daughters... and it was surpisingly hard to find out that one of them was called "Dina".

So what's your system? Where you your draw your inspiration from? Or don't you care at all?
Your server naming
  1. Do you have a methology of naming servers and what is it?78 votes
    1. Don't challenge me to much brainwork: Server001-Server099 works just fine!
      16.67%
    2. Function above beauty any day: Web0815 and VPN222 are great names!
      21.79%
    3. Servers? I don't have servers, I have babies and they are called Thomas, Stefan and Susan.
      23.08%
    4. I use the names of my dates (special answer option for @WSS)
        6.41%
    5. I've got a brain of the size of a planet and don't need names, IPv4 is enough!
      19.23%
    6. I'm usually drunk when naming and thus all boxes are called "fart01"-"fart99"
      12.82%

Comments

• Correction: I've got a brain of the size of a planet and don't need names, IPv6 is enough!

Thanked by 2ucxo Asim
  • @uhu said:
    Correction: I've got a brain of the size of a planet and don't need names, IPv6 is enough!

All you need is feed face dead beef

• [provider name]1.domain.tld

• providerlocation[and/oruse]?

• [location].domain.tld

Works if you don't get more than a single server per location

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I named my aruba ones uk1.tld.info uk2.tld.info de1, etc.
    The rest are providername-location.tld.info

• I name them by the abbr of provider, e.g. ovh etc., for longer name usually consonants, e.g. bwg for bandwagonhost. For multiple servers from the same provider, simple append abcd

• mlimli Member
    edited November 2017

[themerelatedname].domain.tld to identify servers plus aliases for services like de1.vpn.domain.tld

• This Black Friday I started naming my servers as The Hobbit characters. Works great.

Gandalf, Bilbo, Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Bofur, Bombur, Fili, Kili, Oin, Gloin etc.

Thanked by 3MasonR rm_ desperand
  • Themes I have used in the past...

1. Firesign Theatre characters
    2. Great women programmers
    3. Dances
    4. Great economists

Have moved on from pets to cattle, though.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@MrPsycho said:
    This Black Friday I started naming my servers as The Hobbit characters. Works great.

Gandalf, Bilbo, Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Bofur, Bombur, Fili, Kili, Oin, Gloin etc.

Same here dude!. Though for any new boxes, I've moved on to naming them after Roman emperors.

Thanked by 1MrPsycho
  • vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@MrPsycho said:
    This Black Friday I started naming my servers as The Hobbit characters. Works great.

Can't have ordered as many as @WSS then.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

emmawatson.example.com

emmastone.example.com

Etc.

• i use Star Craft names:

nexus
    zeus
    probe
    observer
    shuttle
    reaver
    corsair
    forge
    gateway

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

vps01, vps02, vps03... The issue is: When I started hoarding VPS in late 2015, I never expected to go beyond 100. Currently I'm approximately somewhere in the 150s (still have do go through all the service activation mails from BF/CM), which completely breaks any lists in alphabetical order.

• cpsdcpsd Member
    edited November 2017

SXX where XX is an incremental number. http://bit.ly/2zHW9m2 (If I don't use it, I turn it off)

• @brueggus said:
    vps01, vps02, vps03... The issue is: When I started hoarding VPS in late 2015, I never expected to go beyond 100. Currently I'm approximately somewhere in the 150s (still have do go through all the service activation mails from BF/CM), which completely breaks any lists in alphabetical order.

Yeah, and then when you start shedding things. ded1, ded2, ded3.. is not the smartest idea either.

I started giving them better names, even thought it out a bit (greek mythological characters), but that got tiresome, and I started logging back into them as ded1, ded2.. sooo

NOTHING FUCKING WORKS RIGHT

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

years ago I cared about names appearing in SolusVM®, now I pretty often simply smash my head against the keyboard and call it a day

sometimes I regret it oftentimes I don't

once I've finished setting them up I change the hostname to something descriptive, related to their goal or expected usage combining up to four dictionary words

so, something like "watsonpicsnotjohn", "stonenudesnotsharon", "taytaynsfwrawfootage" and so on and so forth

• i'll take an account on stonenudesnotsharon..

Thanked by 1mfs
  • ebonyebony Member
    edited November 2017

I name mine after my little pony for vm's and powerpuff girls for hosts . Not on the list ;) on my x work places used Simpson's names I guess we need tv/cartoons

Thanked by 1rm_
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

so, something like "watsonpicsnotjohn", "stonenudesnotsharon", "taytaynsfwrawfootage" and so on and so forth

Sounds lovely to type in when you need to ssh. Oh wait, nobody actually uses a real OS on the desktop, you just select it from your PuTTY list.

• For me, it depends on where the naming is applied. /etc/hostname might be named after snacks, Star Trek entities, etc. For ssh, [provider initials]-[location]-[number], to keep names shorter. Group boxes together in ssh config, add comments to identify them, and grep the config for name lookup if I forget.

Naming by service would be great in a single service per container setup, but having some boxes with a mixed lot, I don't necessarily stick to one naming convention for everything.

• I name mine after dead rappers.

• @shallownorthdakota said:
    I name mine after dead rappers.

what are the specs on biggy and tupac?

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited November 2017

<type>-<country>-<city>.domain.tld
    (all machines are in a similar domain in the DNS)

e.g. dedi-fr-vty.domain.tld, kvm-ca-bha, ovz-lt-vil... (it's actually a bit more complex, with [empty] non-terminals for each main role e.g. "kvm-us-sea.dns" "dedi-us-lax.prx" and the such, but you get the idea)

In the DNS are also shortcuts (and DNSSEC-secured SSHFP records, bye bye known_hosts!) e.g. "dfr.domain.tld. CNAME dedi-fr-vty.domain.tld." so that "ssh dfr" leads me to the french dedi server.

Thanked by 2WSS datanoise
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member

rm_ said: Sounds lovely to type in when you need to ssh.

If CNAME records are to be employed, they may or may not come in handy

sherlock.example.com CNAME watsonpicsnotjohn.example.com

or just use the hostname referenced in ssh configs, it's not like typing ex novo 16 chars will take you a whole lot of time compared to 8 or 12; besides, if the naming isn't something meaningful to you, you could waste more precious seconds ("was it balrog? or ghibli? or gandalf?")

hell, even "correcthorsebatterystaple" may be faster to type than Gloin (or Oin? or Oink? Or Ink?)

rm_ said: Oh wait, nobody actually uses a real OS on the desktop, you just select it from your PuTTY list.

..PuTTY? What is this? :-)

souen said: [provider initials]-[location]-[number]

I used to include details about the location in A entries but later on I mixed up the geolocation of the providers' HQ with the one of the actual box; also, the numbering scheme can lead to pitfalls if not applied consistently (like, de1 fr1 it1 de2 vs de1 fr2 it3 de4 : "hey I logged into de4 so where's my complimentary de3? who the hell named them this way" "oh wait it was me while drunk")

• I posted this like a year ago, and tried to follow it, but it became unsustainable since I have a revolving door of different VPS. It's a great plan for a static infrastructure, but otherwise, a lot of work.