Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interest check: NAT in places
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Interest check: NAT in places

Would anyone be interested in VPS like lowendspirit-style no support, instant termination on abuse, on i3/i5 or slabbed?

Some locations might be v6 only no v4 access other than a ssh port forward, might not have web proxy either.

Orders would be at my discretion, from spare capacity.

Thanked by 1salakis
-
  1. Place.29 votes
    1. Taiwan
      51.72%
    2. Manc
      10.34%
    3. Norway
        6.90%
    4. Seattle
      13.79%
    5. Australia partions
      13.79%
    6. Vietnam
        3.45%

Comments

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

All of them.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • IPv6 should be a must everywhere, some DC/providers should really learn that.... IPv6 only should be a "must try" :-)

Thanked by 1rm_
  • "Instant termination on abuse" is something I can't accept despite the fact I don't run anything illegal. That was something that stopped me from subscribing to @Virmach deal for example.

• Can you guarantee that my VPS won't get stolen, robbed, or kidnapped in Manchester?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@asv said:
    "Instant termination on abuse" is something I can't accept despite the fact I don't run anything illegal. That was something that stopped me from subscribing to @Virmach deal for example.

Just secure your server properly.

• hzrhzr Member
    edited November 2017

asv said: "Instant termination on abuse" is something I can't accept despite the fact I don't run anything illegal. That was something that stopped me from subscribing to @Virmach deal for example.

Unfortunately this is a shared NAT VPS somewhere where bandwidth overages can run in the hundreds and the cost is virtually none.

It's not a business, just something I'm doing for a couple people as a favour kind of thing. Some locations can be more lenient, some locations I have to be very picky on who to accept and what they run due to legality.

I've had physical hardware seized over the stupidest, most trivial shit before because of these.

Crawling would be at least one thing that isn't allowed due to upstream risk in at least 3 of those locations.

• @MikeA, it's reasonably hardened. Related example. "from a friend", - VPS has an crawler that does nothing malicious except of just parsing data from the internet. Provider shuts it down claiming it's part of the botnet.

• @hzr I want to try to get DesQview/X running on a KVM. Any chance at an NE2K NIC and FreeDOS ISO? :D

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@asv said:
    @MikeA, it's reasonably hardened. Related example. "from a friend", - VPS has an crawler that does nothing malicious except of just parsing data from the internet. Provider shuts it down claiming it's part of the botnet.

Well, any reasonable provider should be able to tell the difference between a web crawler and a botnet.

• Anything in Asia will do and it is quite a niche market with little competition. I miss those nice Singapore NAT KVM boxes by @AnthonySmith - even though I never had one, but now I actually would have great need for them. The only real alternative is @weongyo Somagu in Korea, but no IPv6 (I have one regardless).
    Otherwise, Taiwan sounds best, but I think that bandwidth and IPv6 could be an issue.
    Either way, if you go for Asia, save some money and increase the BW allocation by not going for direct China routes. It's not worth the hassle, the IPv4 will get GFW'd anyways (see Somagu right now) and you'll probably end up having a lot of fun with chargebacks.

Hong Kong ( @randvegeta ), Singapore or even Japan (KVM with a bit more RAM tho) sounds much more reasonable. Somagu pricing would be fine with me at least.

• hzrhzr Member
    edited November 2017

I don't plan on allowing CN access to save myself the trouble. Depending on location I'll be even pickier.

• @hzr said:
    I don't plan on allowing CN access to save myself the trouble. Depending on location I'll be even pickier.

Then it could be a really nice option in Asia. Maybe you should have a look at Hong Kong then as well.

I'm not really convinced by the other locations.

Norway is kinda unique, but why bother when Stockholm is less than 10ms away (and even more ubiquitous Amsterdam less than 20ms).

Seattle has some options that are not too expensive (also Sentris is there, but they suck) and it's about 25ms to L.A. if I'm not mistaken.

Australia has a LES node in Sydney for the ultimate low end market and recently some other cheap options as well.

Vietnam sounds tempting, but decent international/regional connectivity and IPv6 could become a problem. Also maybe you might end up becoming a target for people looking for "DMCA bullet-proof hosting" which again could cause some headaches.

• @WSS said:
    @hzr I want to try to get DesQview/X running on a KVM. Any chance at an NE2K NIC and FreeDOS ISO? :D

It runs better in VMware. Also it'll run better under DR-DOS or PC-DOS. Just to save you some effort. :S

Thanked by 1WSS
  • Singapore KVM, no need much RAM and storage, just need it for VPN so gigabit would be best