Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

centos7.4 ipv6 automatically disabled after a while.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

centos7.4 ipv6 automatically disabled after a while.

Hi , this is most troubling

I have plesk installed on centos 7.4 , I configured ipv6 before plesk , and tested by
ping6 google.com confirm it's working

and then I set my site to run on ipv6 , initially it works , but after a while , like an hour or so , ipv6 is not longer working , ping6 google.com failed
reboot will fix the issue , but I can't just reboot it every now and then.

I have 2 VPS with same installation , this one lost its ipv6 every once a while , but other VPS seems keep it working all the time.

anyone has ever experienced such issue ?

a help is appreciated .

Comments

• Try adding

net.ipv6.conf.default.accept_ra=0 net.ipv6.conf.default.autoconf=0 net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_ra=0 net.ipv6.conf.all.autoconf=0 net.ipv6.conf.eth0.accept_ra=0 net.ipv6.conf.eth0.autoconf=0

to /etc/sysctl.d/50-IPv6.conf, reboot and see if it helps

• @qtwrk said:
    Hi , this is most troubling

I have plesk installed on centos 7.4 , I configured ipv6 before plesk , and tested by
    ping6 google.com confirm it's working

and then I set my site to run on ipv6 , initially it works , but after a while , like an hour or so , ipv6 is not longer working , ping6 google.com failed
    reboot will fix the issue , but I can't just reboot it every now and then.

I have 2 VPS with same installation , this one lost its ipv6 every once a while , but other VPS seems keep it working all the time.

anyone has ever experienced such issue ?

a help is appreciated .

How is your system set up to get its ipv6 address ... ?

Sounds like your system autoconfigures an ipv6 on start up by sending a router solicitation
    and getting a reply - however if the router is not sending out periodic router advertisements
    or they are blocked/lost your machine will loose its address ... until next reboot.

You could configure the address you get as well as gateway and default route manually.

• its hacked! start over.

• when it's working, run 'ip -6 route' and paste the results here.

• @WSS said:
    when it's working, run 'ip -6 route' and paste the results here.

unreachable ::/96 dev lo metric 1024 error -113
    unreachable ::ffff:0.0.0.0/96 dev lo metric 1024 error -113
    unreachable 2002:a00::/24 dev lo metric 1024 error -113
    unreachable 2002:7f00::/24 dev lo metric 1024 error -113
    unreachable 2002:a9fe::/32 dev lo metric 1024 error -113
    unreachable 2002:ac10::/28 dev lo metric 1024 error -113
    unreachable 2002:c0a8::/32 dev lo metric 1024 error -113
    unreachable 2002:e000::/19 dev lo metric 1024 error -113
    2a03:4000:21:4::/64 dev eth0 proto kernel metric 256
    unreachable 3ffe:ffff::/32 dev lo metric 1024 error -113
    fe80::1 dev eth0 proto static metric 100
    fe80::/64 dev eth0 proto kernel metric 256
    default via fe80::1 dev eth0 proto static metric 100

I have compared when it's not working , output the same.

@svmo said:

How is your system set up to get its ipv6 address ... ?

I got it followed this guide here https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/316730/how-to-setup-ipv6-on-centos

@sirpumpkin said:
    Try adding

thanks , will see how it goes.

• @qtwrk said:

Yeah. It's not dropping your route because it's out of band, which @sirpumpkin was providing a workaround for.

• @WSS said:

@qtwrk said:

Yeah. It's not dropping your route because it's out of band, which @sirpumpkin was providing a workaround for.

thanks , I will see how it goes

• @sirpumpkin said:
    Try adding

@WSS said:

thanks , but unfortunately ipv6 still went off after a while...

• It's strange, I have a VPS with Centos-7 Minimal, working with IPV6, and it works very well without any additional configuration except to place it in the adapter, you should consider opening a ticket to your provider.

• @vanhels said:
    It's strange, I have a VPS with Centos-7 Minimal, working with IPV6, and it works very well without any additional configuration except to place it in the adapter, you should consider opening a ticket to your provider.

indeed it is strange , I have 2 VPS from same provider , with exact same conf and setting , one works all the time , another one lost ipv6 few minutes after reboot

• For the above, open a ticket with your provider and tell him that his 2 VPS are configured in the same way, and that one works in IPV6 and in another not, sure that it helps.

• @vanhels said:
    For the above, open a ticket with your provider and tell him that his 2 VPS are configured in the same way, and that one works in IPV6 and in another not, sure that it helps.

arrrgggg , this problem is killing me here.

ticket sent , let's see how it goes ...

thanks for advice :)

• I worked out , but still didnt get it why and how.

The provider is Netcup , if i set ipv6 during ISO installation , ipv6 works fine all the way .

But if i install system first and then add ipv6 sftwards , ipv6 will become unusable after a while.

I write it here in case someone who got same problme and luckily google'd this thread , hope this could be a help.

• For NetCup, @sirpumpkin's suggestion generally works.

• @WSS said:
    For NetCup, @sirpumpkin's suggestion generally works.

well , I think I am the "de-generally" case ...
    but any way , it works now ...