Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there any providers who don't commit you to a year on 64/96/128MBs VPSs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are there any providers who don't commit you to a year on 64/96/128MBs VPSs

rchurchrchurch Member
edited February 2012 in Providers

I am looking for providers who will allow you to purchase mini VPSs for a month without committing to a year.

There is the possibility that if they are reliable I may go for 8 or more of these monthly.

I understand the preference for yearly payments on these plans. But it is early days with both my business plans and the providers as well.

They should be Western Europe based. Latency matters

Comments

• You could always email providers and find out, i know that many dont list such offers (They are mostly yearly, like you stated). If your taking 8 or so, that will only raise your chances of getting such a deal.

Thanked by 1adyg
  • why don't you pay 1 more buck and get it without long searching?

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited February 2012

Very few providers offer monthly payments on small VPS. We allow it, but we aren't in Europe. Its very hard to offer plans in that range at the "correct" monthly price. Paypal fees and IP address costs are high and you can't charge a "payment processing fee" on smaller VPS otherwise paypal will refuse to work with you. Plus its much harder to make a profit if you aren't sure your going to have clients next month.

• KeithKeith Member
    edited February 2012

For 128MB vps's monthly in Europe.
    Edis in Austria with servers in UK, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy.
    Ramhost in the UK & Germany. UK not the Tinykvm plan. Getting 8 may be a problem, currently showing 5 available for the UK & 1 for Germany.
    Addition Just remembered Ramhost has to be paid 3 monthly.

• @rchurch said: purchase mini VPSs for a month without committing to a year.

I know you said EU, but I'm just making conversation. Doesn't KuJoe still offer monthly plans on tiny VPS? And his location in Florida is not terrible for EU connectivity.

• I already have something along those lines with a provider, but I can't put all my eggs in one basket and have to deal with a whole load of angry customers there is some downtime.

breton What price am I looking at if I pay 1 more buck?

@bluevm Your ordering page does not indicate what OSs you have available

• It is VoIP so latency matters. I just prefer Europe for speed.

@keith I have a few with EDIS but their accounts guy emailed me that the micro servers required a years prepayment, but I am yet to clarify it with William on that.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@rchurch said: It is VoIP so latency matters. I just prefer Europe for speed.

Voip doesn't play usually well with most virtualization technology but context separation technology. Are you looking for openvz or similar?

• @prometeus said: Voip doesn't play usually well with most virtualization technology

Works perfect in KVM, but have found it eats ram when running those apps. With 512mb have had no issues with running 6 sip trunks into it and conf. calls with upto 10

• If you need zapata/ztdummy or similar timing module it would be a problem with OpenVZ or linux-vserver based VPS.

Maybe our clients have golden hears, but we had several elastix vm deployed a few years ago on xen and vmware and I had to migrate them to a vserver box to make them happy...

edited February 2012

@rds100 said: If you need zapata/ztdummy or similar timing module it would be a problem with OpenVZ or linux-vserver based VPS.

no problems at all with vserver. We monitored things at a deep detail using voipmonitor (a tool that help to calc mos score capturing packets) and we had evidence of the problems the clients were experiencing with xen and vmware...

• @prometeus said: elastix vm deployed a few years ago on xen and vmware

Well, I'm using Elastix as well, the most current and it runs great in KVM. I'm not sure about the VoIP clients, but I know the faster the clock on our SIP servers, the better things go, and the AMD 1090T with 16gb is able to handle 400-500 call setups a minute with ease.

I should try again, but when came to call quality clients are so *****, that I'll pass ;-)

• @prometeus said: when came to call quality

Set QoS in the router

edited February 2012

You cannot believe me, but one of the client was on a layer 2 man fiber, separate vlan, in g711 and when we analyzed the mos we really did see that the problem was timing related. The client was a big lawyers firm and was paying thousand of € for services with us, so we had to break the bits :-(

@rchurch sorry for the off-topic

• I prefer KVM, but I have run VoIP and Virtuozzo and OpenVZ I think and it wasn't so bad. The maximum for each server will be about 8 SIP calls simultaneous calls running in pass through mode. It is G729, and to be honest most users don't complain about the sound quality as the call quality on international calls isn't that good anyway, even on TDM.

@prometeus it isn't off-topic. I find it interesting actually as I am not conversant with the deeper technical issues surrounding VoIP

I share my time as CTO of a small telco company, in Milan, and voip is love/hate for me :-)

When clients switch from tdm to voip most catch the difference for a while. Some users really hate the metallic note that sometime g729 introduce. I remember that some linksys phones were terrible, things are a bit better with snom and polycom...

• @rchurch - We support centos, debian, opensuse, fedora and in the near future Gentoo.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

The problem with monthly payments is the fees involved. It is 11 times more expensive to offer monthly terms than it is annual terms. We'd be happy to provide a monthly term for our 32MB and 64MB plans, but they would be about the same price as our 128MB plan so it doesn't make sense to us to even offer it.

• Yes there are, you can try Prgmr, the main problem for most providers its the fees they have to cover if you pay monthly.

If you want a monthly payment, get ready to pay a lot more for the same service.

• And dmbhosting, and vpscheap.net, and a lot more have 128MB offers but not really cheap, as @KuJoe says

• speedy007speedy007 Member
    edited February 2012

And dmbhosting, and vpscheap.net, and a lot more have 128MB offers but not really cheap, as @KuJoe says

@yomero So £1.30 per Month128mb xen is not really cheap!? ....?

• For $1.33/month USD ($16/yr) I have a 128mb Xen VPS from SecureDragon.

• For $1.33/month USD ($16/yr) I have a 128mb Xen VPS from SecureDragon.

@dmmcintyre3 Are they Europe based? Or US? As @rchurch wants Europe based.

• I was replying to your comment about £1.30 for 128mb xen being cheap.

• @speedy007 said: So £1.30 per Month128mb xen is not really cheap!? ....?

Where I said it isn't?

• Where I said it isn't?

I was replying to your comment about £1.30 for 128mb xen being cheap.

@yomero @dmmcintyre3 Nevermind I may have missunderstood, apologies.