Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forget 1TB, TenCent (china) giving free 10TB free storage...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Forget 1TB, TenCent (china) giving free 10TB free storage...

upfreakupfreak Member
edited August 2013 in General

Get going guys.. 10TB for free..

Promo URL : http://www.weiyun.com/act/10t.html?WYTAG=weiyun.portal.index

You wont get 10TB in one go however. you will immediately receive 1TB worth of free space first. As the amount of space you use increases (and in turn lowering the amount of space you are left with), Tencent will top up your storage space automatically, up to a maximum of 10TB. makes sense anyway...

Happy registering in chinese ;)

1. You need a QQ id ( http://zc.qq.com/en/index.html )
  2. You need a android / iphone to install their mobile app ( link above)
  3. Login in the above page using the QQ ID amd you will see 1TB storage.
  4. (optional) Keep filling to get automatic bump in storage upto 10TB for free.

Comments

• putaorenputaoren Member
    edited August 2013

Storage is too big for me to use,after all not a perfect choice.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Anyone can test speed from EU there ?

• Friendly advice: don't trust any Chinese companies providing storage, especially if you are going to storage sensitive files. China's Ministry of National Security has unlimited access to all servers from these big companies, and does regularly inspect random file samples.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited August 2013

@sundaymouse how does this differ from USA based large storage providers? ;-)

I mean it's the same to me whether the Chinese or the Americans would read my files. I'd never upload anything unencrypted anyway.

• @Maounique said:
    Anyone can test speed from EU there ?

This is a 2.5G file for someone to test:http://share.weiyun.com/10159d1df62c86960aee51094bd9226d

• sundaymousesundaymouse Member
    edited August 2013

@rds100 said:
    sundaymouse how does this differ from USA based large storage providers? ;-)

Chinese providers have to comply all requests from MNS (without court orders and there's never been an actual court order), rejecting will cause servers being seized. Also, they unconditionally disclose your cleartext password and all login records(login time, ip, files updated, etc.)

• On the other hand, QQ clients on PC and Android scans your disk, and upload some files continuously. This was revealed in 2011, and caused a famous scandal.

• udkudk Member

Average around 150KB/s from UK, don't think I'm going to be able to make use of all 10TB for many years

edited August 2013

166 from here, I am closer :P

@udk said:
    Average around 150KB/s from UK, don't think I'm going to be able to make use of all 10TB for many years

I am defending against any snooping by default, so that is not an issue, any files stored remotely are at risk of snooping.

• @sundaymouse said:
    Friendly advice: don't trust any Chinese companies providing storage, especially if you are going to storage sensitive files. China's Ministry of National Security has unlimited access to all servers from these big companies, and does regularly inspect random file samples.

No such Ministry. Actually, in China, there are 2 ministries tasked with security: Ministry of Public Security and Ministry of State Security. Both are unlikely to bother with you, past cursory inspection, provided you are not involved with sensitive topics related to China's security, social stability, territorial integrity, strategic commercial projects and the like. Sure, they can get at your data faster and with a minimum of fuss, as opposed to the US, but the end result is the same everywhere: they get what they want.
    This said, I would be much more concerned with installing any app provided by a Chinese company. All that stuff is essentially spyware/crapware that will cost you dearly on a metered internet connection.

• Pretty nice.

Storing files in China though......hell no.

• CN is spying on you :) Seems there is not a good market for hard drives lately and they are provisioning them locally ...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2013

CN is spying on you :)

China only cares about happenings within China (ensuring so that their 'communist' government is not toppled), but US tries to spy on and control the whole world. The latter is much worse, and at this point I'd trust a service hosted in China quite a bit more than to anything hosted in the US.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/08/25/1536241/nsa-cracked-into-encrypted-un-video-conferences
    The only reason the whole world still isn't openly at war with the US over this kind of crap, is that they are just way too afraid to do or say anything against this sleazy country.

Thanked by 2tux Roph
  • The offer has written "FISHY" all over it!

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2013

@rds100 said:
    sundaymouse how does this differ from USA based large storage providers? ;-)

I mean it's the same to me whether the Chinese or the Americans would read my files. I'd never upload anything unencrypted anyway.

Chinese surveillance is far more intrusive into the common citizens daily live than NSA surveillance is. The Chinese government controls all the domestic social networks for chrissake.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2013

@rm_ said:
    China only cares about happenings within China (ensuring so that their 'communist' government is not toppled), but US tries to spy on and control the whole world. The latter is much worse, and at this point I'd trust a service hosted in China quite a bit more than to anything hosted in the US.

I completely disagree. Every nation (especially China) is interested in what's happening around the world. Remember all the recent disclosures about China hacking companies and news media organizations all around the world...

China conducts espionage worldwide not only for "national security" reasons, but for economic competitive reasons as well.

• @sundaymouse said:
    Friendly advice: don't trust any Chinese companies providing storage, especially if you are going to storage sensitive files. China's Ministry of National Security has unlimited access to all servers from these big companies, and does regularly inspect random file samples.

Friendly advice: encrypt your files......... You shouldn't trust ANYONE.

@upsetcvps said:
    Friendly advice: encrypt your files......... You shouldn't trust ANYONE.

Yes. ANY file outside of your computer is at risk to be searched, even seized, even if it does not concern you (the investigation, I mean).
    Even your home computer is not risk-free, look what happened to William, I also run Tor nodes so it is safe to presume one day or the other there will be someone raiding me. Therefore, keep encryption up all the time.

• I don't upload any sensitive file to china's storage provider unless is encrypted file.(BTW I don't even have sensitive file)
    And If you want to upload something against DMCA,china's storage provider is a good choice.Because they don't even care about copyright!You can download game,anime,movie(even the adult content!) freely!Trust me on that!I am a chinese.

• Someone should take this offer and fill all the space with port. Let the chinese have some fun like snooping at your data :)

• Hmm..... I don't think storing files in EU or US is more safe than CN. Every country has spy team. Now we just know US and CN do that. But other countries are more safe? I don't believe that. DONT TRUST ANYONE. EU and AU are US partners, so they maybe share them each other.
    CN is not more bad than you see. CN company don't care about copyrights. So you can storing cracked software, movie etc. Although you may be reported, but they just delete you files.

• MikeInMikeIn Member
    edited August 2013

Britain in not behind as is USA, CN...

• BAKABAKA Member

In most cases, the CN gov has no interest in your data. More concern comes from commercial uses: data mining, social engineering, etc.

• In 2011, Tencent (SEHK:700) released a service called PengYou (friend) which revealed users' real names based on what most friends tagged this user on Tencent QQ (an IM). The correct rate is pretty high.
    • Qihoo 360 Tech (NYSE:QIHU), Tencent's competitor, has no better reputation. In 2012, 360 Safety Guard suggested users to install a Windows critical patch KB360018 which turned out to be its own update. Also it sometimes tagged its competitor's software as malware and suggested users to remove it.
    • Thunder networks (NASDAQ:XNET), which provides download and file sharing services, revealed the most downloaded files was two adult movies.

These may not look very offensive, and I'm not asserting they will certainly abuse data. Just to remind that if they want, they can. So take care.

• @BAKA said:

• Thunder networks (NASDAQ:XNET), which provides download and file sharing services, revealed the most downloaded files was two adult movies.

Posting statistics like this about the service provided is not something bad, as long as the data is aggregated enough and no personal information is revealed.

For instance google posts statistics about the most searched words.

• Speed is not good, really.
    About China, I prefer buy a new HD with 1Tb and maintain my data there. As the others members wrote, it can be useful with you do not have any sensitive data or you will use like a MegaUpload.
    By the way, we can read more reviews in a short time.
    :)
    In other hand: yes, it is amazing to think about 10TB for 'free'.

• @peppr said:
    Get going guys.. 10TB for free..

Promo URL : http://www.weiyun.com/act/10t.html?WYTAG=weiyun.portal.index

You wont get 10TB in one go however. you will immediately receive 1TB worth of free space first. As the amount of space you use increases (and in turn lowering the amount of space you are left with), Tencent will top up your storage space automatically, up to a maximum of 10TB. makes sense anyway...

Happy registering in chinese ;)

1. You need a QQ id ( http://zc.qq.com/en/index.html )
    2. You need a android / iphone to install their mobile app ( link above)
    3. Login in the above page using the QQ ID amd you will see 1TB storage.
    4. (optional) Keep filling to get automatic bump in storage upto 10TB for free.

Hi,

What should I do to get rid of the Chinese Language. ITs all coming in Chinese language.

• The problem I have found with these Chinese offerings is high chance of being shutdown. The government once in a while likes to do an audit and then "make decisions". Lots of things come and go based on what they like and don't like.

• Are you sure to put all your privacy in a Big Brother Approved Government?

• Some chinese sites are really confuse Tera with Giga. What they mean TB are actually GB. This is because of the chinese translate to English. I did sign up or two to test, they always end up with GB instead of TB.

edited November 2013

@JerryHou said:
    Are you sure to put all your privacy in a Big Brother Approved Government?

Who cares as long as it is encrypted.