Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Notebook recommendation (Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 12.5)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Notebook recommendation (Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 12.5)

This black friday I think i am going to change my 7 years old notebook.

Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 12.5 inch looks nice. I am not really doing heavy work. Just some programming stuff, office, multimedia and usual things.

Most of the time it will be used to open 10 chrome tabs, 2 ssh window, 1 sublime text, 4 Microsoft Word, 3 Microsoft Excel, Google Drive, One Drive, and XAMPP.

But again most of the time, I do those stuff on MY HOME PC. Should I get the ultrabook or the bulky quad core processor like A10 notebook ?

Comments

• What's your budget?

• Thats fucking specific what programs/tabs you have running lol.

I always will be recommending a macbook. But if you're a windows lover, take a look at this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Acer-E5-575G-57D4-15-6-Inches-Notebook-i5-7200U/dp/B01LD4MGY4/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1511266613&sr=1-3&keywords=laptop

Thanked by 1flatland_spider
  • @Frame said:
    What's your budget?

$700ish

• yokowasis said: 10 chrome tabs, 2 ssh window, 1 sublime text, 4 Microsoft Word, 3 Microsoft Excel, Google Drive, One Drive, and XAMPP

This list cracked me up! Thanks for giving me my first laugh of the day! :'-)

• What's your budget? I've just bought hp x360 ad019tu for my wife around Rp5,7 mil. It's pretty good for the price vs quality ratio. It has sleek body with metal/alu casing. Upgrade it to SSD and 8GB ram and it would be your mini monster

• JackHJackH Member
    edited November 2017

In all cerealness, the Xiaomi should be perfect - just research their warranty etc. My experience with Chinese manufacturers and their warranties (yes, you DJI) hasn't been great but that's not to say Xiaomi can be judged by the same standards. Have a Google, but those specs are fine :-)

• @FoxelVox said:
    Thats fucking specific what programs/tabs you have running lol.

I always will be recommending a macbook. But if you're a windows lover, take a look at this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Acer-E5-575G-57D4-15-6-Inches-Notebook-i5-7200U/dp/B01LD4MGY4/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1511266613&sr=1-3&keywords=laptop

Yeah, I am afraid I don't have the time to learn from scratch. Tried Ubuntu, Fedora, and other Linux. I spent most of my time learning how the OS works instead of doing my job.

• @NanoG6 said:
    What's your budget? I've just bought hp x360 ad019tu for my wife around Rp5,7 mil. It's pretty good for the price vs quality ratio. It has sleek body with metal/alu casing. Upgrade it to SSD and 8GB ram and it would be your mini monster

Thanks for the recommendation. It's good.

My current laptop is a standard 14" laptop and it hurts my back. Most of the time I left it at home which kill its purpose as a laptop. If I am going to buy something new, I want it to be light. So, it doesn't hurt my back every time i bring it to school ( i am a teacher )

• i just bought Asus K401U (+ upgrade 4gb ram) at tokepedia for Rp.8,4 mil and you'll get i5 with 8gb ram and keyboard layout is comfortable for coding.

• @yokowasis said:

@Frame said:
    What's your budget?

$700ish

You should try XPS then, usually are around 999$ but on BF may change

• @FoxelVox said:

Not everyone like overpriced piece of junk.

Thanked by 1pike
  • @TheKiller said:

@FoxelVox said:

Not everyone like overpriced piece of junk.

If you get them second hand or from an education institute they can be very good value

• The thing is, macbook is so stand out among others. So I imagine whenever I opened my macbook in front of my colleague they will look at me "wow, this guy have a fucking macbook. How the fuck can he afford a fucking $1000 notebook with a $50 salary a month". See, that's not what I am looking for. I don't want my colleague change their perspective upon me. I am fine, with cheap brand like asus / acer. People will just look at me. "he has a $350 laptop, like most of us. He is normal".

I am looking for ultrabook / lightweight notebook. So yeah, more like Macbook Air style notebook. But without apple on it.

• The Xiaomi Air 13 is often available for ~600$

• yokowasis said: I am looking for ultrabook / lightweight notebook. So yeah, more like Macbook Air style notebook. But without apple on it.

Check Folio G1

• @DigitalJosee said:

yokowasis said: I am looking for ultrabook / lightweight notebook. So yeah, more like Macbook Air style notebook. But without apple on it.

Check Folio G1

This thing is much more expensive than apples

• FrameFrame Member
    edited November 2017

Never trust Chinese vendors

• I'd honestly look at some Thinkpads, you can often get a decent i5 2c/4t with 8gb of ram and SSD for approx £150 delivered. Will do all you need, batteries are the only concern with them and can be pricey for genuine replacements. (~60).

Example

• Frame said:
    Never trust Chinese vendors

i though majority component now made in china, even apple.

• Newegg has a refurb Dell Latitude 7370 for $750, right now. (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834861997)

@yokowasis said:

@DigitalJosee said:
    Check Folio G1

>

That's the thing. Thin and light is not cheap. It's the whole less is more thing.

• @yokowasis said:

@DigitalJosee said:

yokowasis said: I am looking for ultrabook / lightweight notebook. So yeah, more like Macbook Air style notebook. But without apple on it.

Check Folio G1

Forgot to say, check eBay there're some going for 500~600usd.

• I will go for used one. Am sure you can get with that budget a great gaming one with 16gb ram and 1tb ssd.

• @flatland_spider said:
    Newegg has a refurb Dell Latitude 7370 for $750, right now. (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834861997)

@yokowasis said:

@DigitalJosee said:
    Check Folio G1

>

That's the thing. Thin and light is not cheap. It's the whole less is more thing.

I am fine with not cheap. But I am definitely not fine when it is much more expensive than apples. We all know how expensive apples devices is.

• If you increase a budget a bit, you could be a bit lucky and get a refurb or near mint Macbook Air. I know, I know, it's a Mac, but if portability is your thing you'll fall in love with it. I still haven't found a laptop with a similar real world battery life. I have mine for over three years and frankly, the battery life is still better for actual use than the Mi Book Air. I have used it for a bit right after release (the first gen 12.5" model) and gave it to my mother. For that price it is certainly nice, but the Mac is still far ahead unless you're into gaming. And I gotta say that I'm not an Apple fanboy, the Macbook is my only Apple device. Also I not sure about the Macbook argument, I do not know where OP is located, but this "Think different" touch which made Mac users stand out in the past is not really a thing anymore.

• Believe me, in my city, it is a thing. I guess I will go with the mi notebook.

• @yokowasis said:
    The thing is, macbook is so stand out among others. So I imagine whenever I opened my macbook in front of my colleague they will look at me "wow, this guy have a fucking macbook. How the fuck can he afford a fucking $1000 notebook with a $50 salary a month". See, that's not what I am looking for. I don't want my colleague change their perspective upon me. I am fine, with cheap brand like asus / acer. People will just look at me. "he has a $350 laptop, like most of us. He is normal".

I am looking for ultrabook / lightweight notebook. So yeah, more like Macbook Air style notebook. But without apple on it.

Look for known brands, Acer, ASUS and HP have great budget products. Look @ model i sent before, Its great.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I got the Xiaomi 13.3, Core i5, 256 GB SSD, works wonderfully.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • buy the size of ssd you need and pop it in a refurbished /used thinkpad x220. Easy to find spares and repair. ($200 max for the machine, without ssd)

plus it's light, in addition to being built like a tank

• I've got an X220 that I use on a daily basis. I stepped on it once when I slipped, and all I did was slightly crack the plastic around the pci express slot.

Thanked by 1GamerTech24
  • LeeLee Veteran

TheKiller said: Not everyone like overpriced piece of junk.

I know right, so many idiots out there.