Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2Euro KVM in Germany
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2Euro KVM in Germany

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Hi,

I found this special offer:
http://www.sponsor-board.de/vserver-qemu-1gb-ram-monat-t-41812.html#pid268440

I ordered already, running Windows Server 2008 on it.
Direct URL: https://comstownit.de/servers

Thanked by 2rm_ upfreak

Comments

• Just ordered one

How long did setup take for you?

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited August 2013

No way, is Windows 2008 64 bit free in this special offer?

Btw. VAT is included already in this offer, how the f*** is this possible? Ordered one with linux, may order a second one with Windows.

• @chrisp said:
    No way, is Windows 2008 64 bit free in this special offer?

windows 2008 is +€5/month

• @camarg said:
    windows 2008 is +€5/month

you can bring your own license I guess? could someone who speak German to confirm with them?

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited August 2013

still pretty decent pricing, I'm impressed.

@zhuanyi Right now you can't reach them via telephone, they are out of normal business hours.

• Their live chat is actually online, if you can write/read Germany I guess.

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited August 2013

It seems like live chat is online but when you enter it you get:

"Momentan sind in dieser Abteilung keine Berater aktiv, bitte probieren Sie es zu einem späteren Zeitpunkt erneut oder hinterlassen Sie uns eine Nachricht"

which roughly means "we're not here right now, please try again later or leave us a message"

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited August 2013

An "Arne Neisser" is actually chatting with me atm.

Edit: chat is in English and said English support could be provided.

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited August 2013

8 MB/s is poor, you have to work with that quite generously sized RAM then

Edit: "Arne Neisser" said he will ask the technical department later that day and will inform me about the possibility of using your own license.

• I experienced that virtio makes a huge differnce in disk i/o, enabling it may be worth a try.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2013

Yeah, VirtIO makes a huge huge difference with disk I/O, I'd suggest enabling before/at the time of install itself so everything goes fast from the start :P

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited August 2013

Probably could get something like this from @ShardHost for similar price, their 512MB is $18 for 1 year x2 = $36/yr, but this is a good offer for the EU location from this German VPS.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2013

I do not think VirtIO will help much. It makes a difference, but certainly not by an order of magnitude. This one is either oversold to high hell, or throttled via cgroups to some hard limit of disk I/O write throughput.

If you can test further, you should try

ioping -c 1000 /

, and also recheck the dd test several times, it is flat and staying at 8 MB/sec, or varies up and down a lot.

Another possibility is new users installing and testing their systems, but honestly more often than not that would be just an excuse by bad providers to paper over overselling while they hastily shuffle around users to at least somewhat level-out the load.

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited August 2013

dd bs=1M count=1000 if=/dev/zero of=test conv=fdatasync
    1000+0 Datensätze ein
    1000+0 Datensätze aus
    1048576000 Bytes (1,0 GB) kopiert, 17,2843 s, 60,7 MB/s

I don't know which technology it uses right now as the control panel is quite simple, but that speed is acceptable for me.

4.0 kb from / (ext4 /dev/disk/by-uuid/542e2470-5ca5-45df-bf8a-e6c5f4ac095a): request=1 time=422 us
    4.0 kb from / (ext4 /dev/disk/by-uuid/542e2470-5ca5-45df-bf8a-e6c5f4ac095a): request=2 time=13.1 ms
    4.0 kb from / (ext4 /dev/disk/by-uuid/542e2470-5ca5-45df-bf8a-e6c5f4ac095a): request=3 time=567 us
    4.0 kb from / (ext4 /dev/disk/by-uuid/542e2470-5ca5-45df-bf8a-e6c5f4ac095a): request=4 time=3.6 ms
    4.0 kb from / (ext4 /dev/disk/by-uuid/542e2470-5ca5-45df-bf8a-e6c5f4ac095a): request=5 time=530 us
    4.0 kb from / (ext4 /dev/disk/by-uuid/542e2470-5ca5-45df-bf8a-e6c5f4ac095a): request=6 time=6.8 ms
    4.0 kb from / (ext4 /dev/disk/by-uuid/542e2470-5ca5-45df-bf8a-e6c5f4ac095a): request=7 time=512 us

By the way, you can reboot the vps into the Windows 2008 R2 installer so i think using your own license is possible. But anyway, it's too late now as this offer is sold out.

• ComsTownWebITComsTownWebIT Member
    edited August 2013

Hey,

i found this discussion here.
    I am from ComsTown WebIT.

If you have any questions about our special offer, just ask!

I will change every Server to use VIRTIO in the next hours.

Unsing your own Windows license is possible!

• Do you have IPV6?

@ComsTownWebIT said:
    Hey,

i found this discussion here.
    I am from ComsTown WebIT.

If you have any questions about our special offer, just ask!

I will change every Server to use VIRTIO in the next hours.

Unsing your own Windows license is possible!

edited August 2013

Yes we can offer you IPv6 Addresses. They will be integrated into the CP soon.

• @ComsTownWebIT

There is no way to get this package right?:(

• Getting 70MB/s here. (I/O, dd test)

@ComsTownWebIT What's the deal about the bandwidth? It seems it's Gbit, what happens once one goes over 500GB?

• @chauffer as I understand you pay 0.02 EUR/GB

• @trexos: There will be another option for 5€/Month in a few weeks
    (If everything works as it should then with 2gb RAM!

@chauffer: its 100M and then shared. So 1G shared, 100M guaranteed

Over 500GB = 0,02€/GB

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2013

You must to bring your own license otherwise it cost 5Euro. So i Pay only 2 Euros.

It took about 1 Hour but with Windows setup about 2Hours.

• How'd you order? lol

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Sold out,

• Dangit :(

• @ComsTownWebIT Thank you for your answers.

Will the €2 special come back, when there's stock?

• Well I ordered one when the stock was available and it is still pending installation. It seems that non-EU orders will be forced to pay VAT as well, as per live chat. My email to this is not yet responded, so we see how..

• @chauffer: It will come back for 5€ but 2GB RAM in a few weeks

@peppr: Because there is a problem with our installation service, i have to do it manually, i'm very sorry for that!

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited August 2013

@Infinity580 said:
    You must to bring your own license otherwise it cost 5Euro. So i Pay only 2 Euros.

It took about 1 Hour but with Windows setup about 2Hours.

How is your windows installation running? Are the ressources sufficient for it?

In the original Thread on sponsor-board.de someone says it's not lagging.

@ComsTownWebIT: Do you allow using the full performance of that 1 vCore for a longer time?

And btw on your server page you offer "Windows Server 2008 Standard 64-Bit", but then in the control panel you get the "Windows Server 2008 R2 Installation". Thats two different things from a license point of view.

edited August 2013

Hey, i'm sorry for that, there will be more ISOs soon!

You have your own dedicated but virtualized Core. Why not?