Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seeing a lot of OVH issues cropping up on this board
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seeing a lot of OVH issues cropping up on this board

Is it just because they are so massive that there are bound to be more people reporting issues or are they just too big to manage at this point and having a hard time maintaining their services?

Comments

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

@sureiam said:
    Is it just because they are so massive that there are bound to be more people reporting issues or are they just too big to manage at this point and having a hard time maintaining their services?

That, and if you quit, they can instantly sell out their crap to someone else. E.G. When Vova1234 kicked around a hundred machines because they fucked over a friend- they put up a special and we instantly gobbled it up like a starved cockwhore at Semen Ranch.

• They're too cheap

• What do you mean with "a lot of issues"?
    There was a big incident some days ago that affected a lot of people here, but apart from that - I rather see discussions about their speed, which server to buy, when a specific extra-cheap machine gets available again... then real "issues".

I do certainly not think that they have a hard time maintaining their services: at their size, they need and apparently have the proper tools and personnel to do so.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited November 2017

The piddly hosts here may have a few hundred customers, the more established ones a few thousand.

OVH, over 1 million. Yes, because they're at a larger scale, you'll hear about them more. There's probably a correlation of higher expectation since they're an established brand

I've been their customer for 10 years, there's been 2/3 incidents involving hardware/netwrok outages. Other than that.... no dramas.

• @ricardo said:
    The piddly hosts here may have a few hundred customers, the more established ones a few thousand.

OVH, over 1 million. Yes, because they're at a larger scale, you'll hear about them more. There's probably a correlation of higher expectation since they're an established brand

I've been their customer for 10 years, there's been 2/3 incidents involving hardware/netwrok outages. Other than that.... no dramas.

That's what i figured. Sample size always makes a big difference. Occasional issues are to be expected when dealing with technology all you can hope for are that they are very rare and when they do occur that they resolved to prevent recurrence.

• Indeed. They are definitely 'lower end' though, they price their products towards the lower end, apparently at the cost of additional redundancy/staff/cover-your-arse processes that other more costly hosts would have monetary cover for.

Ultimately you get what you pay for, but from my experience OVH are good value.

• I dont think they are at the lower end. I think they have products at every end. We choose to play with their lower end products but there are plenty of more expensive options and features available.
    Im happy with my OVH experience.

Thanked by 1karjaj
  • After switching from another provider to OVH, I am still very happy with them. Been a bit more than a year I have switched and since then I have 2 dedi's from them that still runs perfectly fine... Not exactly sure what those "issues" are..

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

The OVH support in UK is sucks as they are closed outside of business hours, but last time I phoned them I was redirected to US and it’s different service!

• EasedEased Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:
    gobbled it up like a starved cockwhore at Semen Ranch.

Quote of the year 2017.

• @WebProject said:
    The OVH support in UK is sucks as they are closed outside of business hours, but last time I phoned them I was redirected to US and it’s different service!

They should redirect everything to the US because it seems like their US support is their only support department worth a damn.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • @sin said:

@WebProject said:

They should redirect everything to the US because it seems like their US support is their only support department worth a damn.

I assume you mean NA Canadian as i don't believe ovh has us data centers

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@sureiam said:

@sin said:

@WebProject said:

I assume you mean NA Canadian as i don't believe ovh has us data centerss

Not yet soon(tm)

They are working on a DC in Portland and Ashburn. They will probably release them at the start of next year.

• @CConner said:

@sureiam said:

@sin said:

@WebProject said:

I assume you mean NA Canadian as i don't believe ovh has us data centerss

Not yet soon(tm)

They are working on a DC in Portland and Ashburn. They will probably release them at the start of next year.

Portland huh? Seattle or LA too expensive? I suppose it's all the same with a decent enough backhaul

• I think it's probably a mix of two problems: a) ovh has been growing too fast and b) either some good core people have left or they've hired or promoted some people (marketing, sales?) who create lots of problems. With (a) being the major issue, I guess (and (b) being more of an almost inevitable consequence).

Whatever it is, I stay away from ovh (and ovh related other parties like resellers) for the time being. Maybe they'll stabilize but for now my gut keeps me away.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@bsdguy said:
    I think it's probably a mix of two problems: a) ovh has been growing too fast and b) either some good core people have left or they've hired or promoted some people (marketing, sales?) who create lots of problems. With (a) being the major issue, I guess (and (b) being more of an almost inevitable consequence).

Whatever it is, I stay away from ovh (and ovh related other parties like resellers) for the time being. Maybe they'll stabilize but for now my gut keeps me away.

It's fine. Just don't do any yearly contracts with them.

• sureiam said: I assume you mean NA Canadian as i don't believe ovh has us data centers

Yeah, I meant their North American support. I can't wait until they have their Virginia datacenter up and running though, it's not to far from my house.

• edited November 2017

I think support calls either go to Montreal or France. Maybe with the new datacenters there are other support centers now? Since UK is new maybe you need to give them some time.

• ZerpyZerpy Member
    edited November 2017

@LosPollosHermanos said:
    I think support calls either go to Montreal or France. Maybe with the new datacenters there are other support centers now? Since UK is new maybe you need to give them some time.

UK tech support is by no means "new" - they're just lazy - like @ElliotJ <3