Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which of these 2 monitors would you get?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which of these 2 monitors would you get?

Looking to get one of these monitors for gaming (will acctually be my first monitor with 144Hz). Which one would you choose and why? Don't wanna go above 270€ mark, really so these two seem to be pretty good.

Asus VS278Q (27")
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0097I5CNG/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I4MY3651PQHEX&colid=MFNGV0DUCXTY

Asus VG248QE (24")
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00B19T7QC/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I111IO5LVCSQET&colid=MFNGV0DUCXTY&th=1

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2017

24" is fine, 27" is kinda to big.

I do recommend 2x 24"

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited November 2017

Never get a 27" 1080p monitor, I actually find it worse than a 24" 1080p because everything seems too big. I have two Dell 27" 1440p monitors and love them.

Thanked by 2ehab Ympker
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Neoon said: 27" is kinda to big

Pfffffff. I play on a 40" 4k TV as my primary gaming monitor. Works like a charm :)
    Probably more depends on how far you'll be from the screen, etc. Definitely agreed though that multiple monitors is a good route to take since can throw teamspeak/discord/whatever and your music app over on the second screen while gaming.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Opting for the 24" then I guess :P

• 27 is not too big, but not for 1080p. I have a 25.5 that's 1920x1200, and thats the limit. Anything bigger with lower resolution (1920x1080) would look worse.

24 for 1080p is ideal, if you can afford, get two of those.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • dell 29 superwide anyday :)

• atherosatheros Member
    edited November 2017

trewq said: I have two Dell 27" 1440p monitors and love them.

+1

so the answer is: none of them if you can afford better, the 24" one otherwise

• I used a 24" Iiyama for some years and really loved it. Right now I have an Iiyama again but 28" (UHD). I just mention it because I quite often hear that the Iiyamas are quite liked by gamers (I myself am not one).

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • since @Harzem is a designer i would check his recommendation carefully. 24*2 is great for me.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • IThinkUFailedIThinkUFailed Member
    edited November 2017

@Ympker said:
    Looking to get one of these monitors for gaming (will acctually be my first monitor with 144Hz). Which one would you choose and why? Don't wanna go above 270€ mark, really so these two seem to be pretty good.

Asus VS278Q (27")
    https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0097I5CNG/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I4MY3651PQHEX&colid=MFNGV0DUCXTY

Asus VG248QE (24")
    https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00B19T7QC/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I111IO5LVCSQET&colid=MFNGV0DUCXTY&th=1

BenQ and AOC also make pretty good monitors. EDIT: Acer make some too.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01BV1XBEI/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1 (€220)

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01H5KKQTM/ref=psdc_429868031_t2_B00LBSZHAI (€259)

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00IG0Z0HY/ref=psdc_429868031_t3_B01H5KKQTM (€227)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @ehab said:
    since @Harzem is a designer i would check his recommendation carefully. 24*2 is great for me.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but "gaming" and "designing" monitors are different, and I'm not a gamer. I opt for color accuracy and 100% scaling, @Ympker needs something with low response time.

By the way, I have 5 monitors! I't great for coding stuff.

• @ehab said:
    since @Harzem is a designer i would check his recommendation carefully. 24*2 is great for me.

Nope. In fact, the desires of designers and gamers are quite far apart and sometimes even contrary. Example: A designer will love an IPS panel while a gamer will prefer a TN panel (which is less great but faster). Another example is that gamers tend to not care a rats ass about adobe colour space completeness while designers have that high up on their desirable list.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • @bsdguy said:
    I used a 24" Iiyama for some years and really loved it. Right now I have an Iiyama again but 28" (UHD). I just mention it because I quite often hear that the Iiyamas are quite liked by gamers (I myself am not one).

Was recommended to me, too. But read lots of bad reviews on amazon atleast.

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited November 2017

@Ympker said:

@bsdguy said:
    I used a 24" Iiyama for some years and really loved it. Right now I have an Iiyama again but 28" (UHD). I just mention it because I quite often hear that the Iiyamas are quite liked by gamers (I myself am not one).

Was recommended to me, too. But read lots of bad reviews on amazon atleast.

Me not know about amazon. I avoid it like the pest it is. But as my new monitor is quite fresh I still remember quite many tests and reviews and they were all between very positive and "awesome" (I won't say my personal view as I'm an utterly a-graphical person). And I remember in particular that usually the reviews mentioned how great the monitor is for games.

edit: For me having hdmi and DP (and if possible even dvi and vga) and ergonomics was important (pivot, rotation, inclination, var. height). /edit

Btw, as there are almost certainly different models out there, the one I'm talking about is the "G-Master GB2888UHSU". Usual street price should be about 400$.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Go with 24", its ideal for Gaming purpose, both monitors have beautiful color and resolution.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • take the 27" from warehouse deals 'as new' at 188€ that's value for the money...

size does matter and only depends on your viewing distance. especially in gaming you would not want more than fullhd unless you have an overempowered graphics card.
    you won't see that less dpi in fast paced games anyway, don't listen to all that gibberish unless you've got a benchmark-auge ;-)

also amazon might pull a 20% off on warehouse deals this week or next, but the offer could be gone then...

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Neoon said:
    24" is fine, 27" is kinda to big.

I've got a 34" and 32" on my desktop.

You'll get old one day, too.

• As size comes repeatedly up, maybe it helps if we explain our reasons. I'll begin: I use my monitor mainly as a developer and (hobby-)admin. I do not need to see my full screen at all times; usually I'm focused on one area (say, the editor). But I also need a debugger window, a couple of shells, a math editor, one or more verifier windows, etc. And I hate to switch them forward and back, I want at least the relevant part open.

I wanted UHD basically to have some reserve as I tend to use my monitors about 5 years or more. It might occasionally be useful but normally I use a lower resolution (something in the range of 2.5k * 1.6k) and I doubt that mainly text based work like mine would make sense in UHD 28". That might be different for graphical people.

So, all in all I agree with those who suggest you use 24" at 1920x1080 for gaming. From what little I know about gaming it seems to me that it's rarely about fine details but mostly about overview, the overall picture of the situation and 28" are indeed quite big. Now, of course, you could look from a greater distance but why when you may as well keep your normal distance with a 24"? What's the big gain?

• bsdguy said: What's the big gain?

probably just a subjective/personal view at all.

I do find bigger screen size more immersive on shooters/open world, or if you prefer strategical/building/whatever it might again be more about details. either way for me the bigger the better. I even play on TV or projector, hence not worrying about that small dpi difference between 24 and 27 ;-)

I agree with the text based work/open windows part too and am actually looking to buy a 34" wide screen but would even opt for one with the lower 2560x1080 native resolution as I'd like to avoid any upscaling at foremost and don't want to buy any $800 graphics card to have fluid gaming in UHD on such a thing.

but everyone to his own likings and needs of course...

• @szarka said:
    I've got a 34" and 32" on my desktop.

You'll get old one day, too.

I'm still rocking 15.6" at 1900x1600. I just wear glasses now. :(

• I use a 24" Asus every single day for work, they're great monitors although it's a slightly different model - https://goo.gl/Co6gsV

Can't comment on gaming performance unfortunately :(

• i will go for 27