Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is mountable HDD storage so rare?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why is mountable HDD storage so rare?

All I want is a VPS whose OS runs on an SSD but on which I can mount additional HDD storage. The big names like DO, Linode, etc. only offer SSD storage which is unnecessary for me. I've only found Hetzner that offer such a thing at a reasonable price (~£11/mo for an SSD VPS + 1TB storage). All the cheap storage plans I've seen are actually running the OS on the HDD rather than mounting the HDD as additional storage. I guess this can be a recommendation thread, but I'm also just curious as to why this is the case. Surely such a setup is ideal for seedboxes etc. I don't know, I just find it weird that it's such a niche idea that none of the big names bar Hetzner offer (at a reasonable price, anyway).

Comments

• GTHostGTHost Member, Patron Provider

maybe cheaper to use any backup storage?

• pikepike Veteran
    edited November 2017

netcup does that. They're having a 30% promotion atm too.

• @pike said:

Where abouts on their website? Also, where does Hetzner do it @cb7

• @GTHost said:
    maybe cheaper to use any backup storage?

What?

• @6ixth said:

@pike said:

Where abouts on their website? Also, where does Hetzner do it @cb7

Maybe hes talking about cx10 + bx30? No idea how much a pound is these days but i fugured it would roughly match the price he mentioned. Not that it would make to much sense but well...

• mksh said: cx10 + bx30

Yeah, the storagebox line isn't block storage, it's scp/ftp storage intended for backups. You can mount it with sshfs but doing so tends to be unreliable and flaky and sometimes slow. OVH has an "additional drives" option for VPS but it's somewhat expensive. There will be iops contention whenever there are multiple users sharing HDD, so you're best off with a dedi if you care about that at all.

• "mount" is just a simple easy word for you, not simple and easy for the provider. How do you "mount" them if the storage is on a separate server? How do you connect the shared storage to the compute node? IB? 10GbE? How many iops can you get from that? What software is gonna be used to manage all these stuff?

Maybe it's easy for those big companies (AWS for example), but it's not always easy for small providers to do it right. Even Francisco is experimenting the slice topping at the moment, not to mention some other lower-budget providers.

• @6ixth said: @pike said: netcup does that. They're having a 30% promotion atm too.

Where abouts on their website?

https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/storagespace.php

Perhaps not the cheapest from the point of view of LET but no doubt solid. Addressed over NFS.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2017

msg7086 said: Even Francisco is experimenting the slice topping at the moment

I like you.

Anyway, storage has been something i've been working on since May or so. I've had many long chats with @scaveney about it, trying to find the right balance of cost, performance, and "admin time required".

The points he's constantly said are:

• You're insane
    • Most places have dedicated storage administrators
    • You're insane
    • You should raise your price
    • You're insane
    • Ceph is garb

Francisco

• someSguysomeSguy Member
    edited November 2017

TransIP offers such a thing; https://www.transip.be/vps/big-storage/
    2TB slices for 10EU/month, running on their ZFS storage array.

Edit: as @Setsure mentioned, only possible to attach to their VPS instances.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

That's because with the low number of IOPS and storage being SHARED, no one serious wants their brand tarnished with poor performance ;]

• @someSguy said:
    TransIP offers such a thing; https://www.transip.be/vps/big-storage/
    2TB slices for 10EU/month, running on their ZFS storage array.

They're only attachable to their own VPSes as far as I've seen.