Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wanted: Dirt cheap storage for secondary backups [EU]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wanted: Dirt cheap storage for secondary backups [EU]

daffydaffy Member
edited November 2017 in Requests

Hi,

with the recent ZXHost ceph-failure I'm looking for some storage.
The offer I bought from ZXHost in it's days where overkill so I don't need much juice.
I only require around 256MB RAM, around 150GB of space. The bandwidth is only the first upload, then probably something like a couple GB per month. I would prefer KVM, but Xen may also work, no OVZ. Oh, and the ability to send a grand total of one email a week with the status of backups.

I was looking at something like online.net's smallest dedi or possibly Scaleway which would amount to 5-6 €/month with the added disk. So I guess my budget is around that.

Only looking for something that's not likely to go belly-up before christmas so only reliable providers wanted.

Thought of getting more from BuyVM, since I'm very pleased with them, but sadly @Francisco was out of stock i LU.

Shoot!

Comments

• Oh, totally forgot about them! They are in Sweden too, even better! Thanks for the reminder.

• AluminatAluminat Member
    edited November 2017

www.liteserver.nl/en/storage-vps-series-openvz-vps/

@liteserver

Or check this: lowendstorage.win

• bersybersy Member
    edited November 2017

daffy said: Oh, totally forgot about them! They are in Sweden too, even better! Thanks for the reminder.

You're welcome mate. Check also https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=20 XP18

Aluminat said: www.liteserver.nl/en/storage-vps-series-openvz-vps/

no OVZ

I was about to mention them too, but their KVM storage line and 150GB VM in particular is out of OP's budget (even w/ 25% off - 25eggs code).

ZXHost, really?

• I second the recommendation for Liteserver; rock-solid uptime and good network.

I wouldn't really consider 150GB to be "storage VPS" territory; if it's something like 1.5TB then we're talking storage.

• bersy said: I was about to mention them too, but their KVM storage line and 150GB VM in particular is out of OP's budget (even w/ 25% off).

Sorry, I didnt see that.

bersy said: ZXHost, really?

That's the list current VPS storage on LET made by MasonR. Some of them fit in OP's budget. Have you even read the entirely site or just sort for ZXHost?

• @seanho said:
    I second the recommendation for Liteserver; rock-solid uptime and good network.

I wouldn't really consider 150GB to be "storage VPS" territory; if it's something like 1.5TB then we're talking storage.

Thanks for the suggestion. Well, true about the storage part, but I am only using it for secondary backups/cold storage. Rsync from my main storage server and such. Won't be using it for anything demanding, that's why I need very little resources other than some disk space.

@bersy said:

daffy said: Oh, totally forgot about them! They are in Sweden too, even better! Thanks for the reminder.

You're welcome mate. Check also https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=20 XP18

Aluminat said: www.liteserver.nl/en/storage-vps-series-openvz-vps/

no OVZ

I was about to mention them too, but their KVM storage line and 150GB VM in particular is out of OP's budget (even w/ 25% off).

ZXHost, really?

Thanks, I have heard good things about Prometeus in the past, are the still OK?

• @seanho said: I second the recommendation for Liteserver; rock-solid uptime and good network.

Yeah, LiteServer is good: not the cheapest, but good.

seanho said: I wouldn't really consider 150GB to be "storage VPS" territory; if it's something like 1.5TB then we're talking storage.

Well, I guess that it really depends on how much one wants to store. :-)

Thanked by 1daffy
  • @daffy said:

@seanho said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Well, true about the storage part, but I am only using it for secondary backups/cold storage. Rsync from my main storage server and such. Won't be using it for anything demanding, that's why I need very little resources other than some disk space.

If your needs are truly cold storage, you might have a lower total cost by going with Online C14 or OVH Cloud Archive; you pay by the GB there.

• @angstrom said:

@seanho said: I second the recommendation for Liteserver; rock-solid uptime and good network.

Yeah, LiteServer is good: not the cheapest, but good.

seanho said: I wouldn't really consider 150GB to be "storage VPS" territory; if it's something like 1.5TB then we're talking storage.

Well, I guess that it really depends on how much one wants to store. :-)

Exactly! :)
    I will have a look at LiteServer also, even though they are a bit pricier.

• @seanho said:

@daffy said:

@seanho said:

If your needs are truly cold storage, you might have a lower total cost by going with Online C14 or OVH Cloud Archive; you pay by the GB there.

That's true. I've had a glance at those things before, but should maybe check again this time.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited November 2017

I would mention 1fichier.com. It's not fancy (no rsync), but it's cheap and reliable.

• bersybersy Member
    edited November 2017

Aluminat said: Have you even read the entirely site or just sort for ZXHost?

I read OP request after that I found ZXHost in that list, that's all.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2017

Nevermind.

• For anyone interested I went with HostHatch and their 250GB KVM. I guess I could have waited till Black Friday, but only having 2 sets of backup makes me kinda nervous.
    I probably will keep something with ZXHost also when he gets it sorted out, beacuse the service has been fine, especially for the price.

Initial impression of HostHatch is excellent btw. Only 9ms from my location to their swedish site and the servers at least feels speedy (haven't bothered to run any speedtests).

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Thanked by 2JackH hosthatch
  • daffy said: keep something with ZXHost also when he gets it sorted out, beacuse the service has been fine, especially for the price.

I think Ash is giving up on those storage plans, but if not, that's great. I currently have two of them and they were fine til the recent issues.

• @willie said:

daffy said: keep something with ZXHost also when he gets it sorted out, beacuse the service has been fine, especially for the price.

I think Ash is giving up on those storage plans, but if not, that's great. I currently have two of them and they were fine til the recent issues.

Same! I was hoping to keep them going for a long time because they worked well as almost-cold storage for me.

• @willie said:

daffy said: keep something with ZXHost also when he gets it sorted out, beacuse the service has been fine, especially for the price.

I know, but I would assume he at least tries to offer something else. We'll see :)

Well, that's a fine recommendation for sure, but since when is Dallas in Europe?

• i been using hetzner storage-box since the ovh power "problem" and it killed my hdd in my box that got released fast but i lost a lot of data. i had a lot saved on c1 from online, but there monthly backups and a bit of a pain to access.

so far the hetzer box is lighting fast!

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

SpeedyKVM, had 1TB there, network issues, killed it.

ZxHosts/Treudler, cheap as fuck, dead after a few weeks.

I would not go so cheap, the best price is still 5EUR/1TB when getting a Kimsufi for 10$ with 2TB. Mirror it and you be good.

• UltraVPSUltraVPS Member, Patron Provider

Hi @daffy,

we can offer the following in the Netherlands:

• 1 CPU core
    • 1 GB RAM
    • 500 GB data storage
    • 2 TB data transfer
    • 1 IPv4 address
    • 10 IPv6 addresses (from your own /64 IPv6 subnet)

5 EUR per month incl. 19% VAT (4.20 EUR/4.95 USD excl. VAT)

Looking glass: http://lg.ams.nl.ultravps.eu/

>> Further Information <<

Do you have any questions? Please do not hesitate to drop us a mail at [email protected].

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2017

@daffy said:
    For anyone interested I went with HostHatch and their 250GB KVM. I guess I could have waited till Black Friday, but only having 2 sets of backup makes me kinda nervous.
    I probably will keep something with ZXHost also when he gets it sorted out, beacuse the service has been fine, especially for the price.

Initial impression of HostHatch is excellent btw. Only 9ms from my location to their swedish site and the servers at least feels speedy (haven't bothered to run any speedtests).

Thanks for choosing us. For $1 more (total ~5 EUR / 6 USD per month), you get 750 GB more storage and 2x the bandwidth (has to be paid at least quarterly though)

That's the BF special we'll be running. Please PM me and I'll move you to that plan if you want.

• @UltraVPS said:
    Hi @daffy,

we can offer the following in the Netherlands:

• 1 CPU core
    • 1 GB RAM
    • 500 GB data storage
    • 2 TB data transfer
    • 1 IPv4 address
    • 10 IPv6 addresses (from your own /64 IPv6 subnet)

5 EUR per month incl. 19% VAT (4.20 EUR/4.95 USD excl. VAT)

Looking glass: http://lg.ams.nl.ultravps.eu/

>> Further Information <<

Do you have any questions? Please do not hesitate to drop us a mail at [email protected].

@UltraVPS oh please do something like a 1C/1G/2TB storage special on BF, 6month term should be fine, suggested price 10€ ;-)

• cezcez Member
    edited November 2017

@Abdullah said:

@daffy said:
    For anyone interested I went with HostHatch and their 250GB KVM. I guess I could have waited till Black Friday, but only having 2 sets of backup makes me kinda nervous.

Thanks for choosing us. For $1 more (total ~5 EUR / 6 USD per month), you get 750 GB more storage and 2x the bandwidth (has to be paid at least quarterly though)

That's the BF special we'll be running. Please PM me and I'll move you to that plan if you want.

Nice! Will be in the queue for this. Very happy with my current HostHatch service :)

Thanked by 1hosthatch
  • @Abdullah said:

@daffy said:

Thanked by 1hosthatch
  • @Abdullah said:

@daffy said:

So 1tb kvm for $6?

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

I'm curious to see if that's true and in what locations this will be offered. In case it's NL/SE it could be the perfect ZXHost refugee offer. :)

Thanked by 2svmo vimalware
  • hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jetchirag said:
    So 1tb kvm for $6?

Yes.

@dfroe said:
    I'm curious to see if that's true and in what locations this will be offered. In case it's NL/SE it could be the perfect ZXHost refugee offer. :)

It will be all current 3 locations (Amsterdam/Stockholm/Los Angeles)