Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would this interest you? 500GB Storage KVM, 1 Core, 1 GB RAM, 2 TB BW (France) / $7 USD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would this interest you? 500GB Storage KVM, 1 Core, 1 GB RAM, 2 TB BW (France) / $7 USD

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
edited November 2017 in General

Howdy folks,

Node would be:

E3 1230v2

32 GB RAM

8x4TB HDD Hardware RAID 10

1 Gbps Dedicated Port

Location: Strasbourg, France, NOT OVH, test IP: 134.119.212.50 (Velia Datacenter).

Offer would be:

1 CPU (fair-share)

1 GB RAM

500 GB HDD (HW RAID 10 Protected)

2 TB Bandwidth

KVM Based

Price: $7 USD per month (LET discounted. Regular would be $10 USD).

Stacking plans would be OK, however, CPU wouldn't be stacked, meaning that, if you purchase 2 plans, you'd still have 1 CPU, but 2 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 4 TB BW.

Would you guys be interested?

Comments

• depends how many servers u will put on that node i guess.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @TarZZ92 said:
    depends how many servers u will put on that node i guess.

Well he mentioned KVM based on 8x 4TB means 32TB disk.

500GB for each VPS gives us 64 VPS's in that server

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • velia's strasbourg location is also ddos protected (arbor) but i don't know how much they can tank

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • HostlovinHostlovin Member, Host Rep

Doesn't raid 10 only give him 16 tb only tho? That brings it down to 32 a server

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@zafouhar said:

@TarZZ92 said:

RAID 10, which means you have roughly 15/16TB usable, so we're talking about 30 VPS max.

@Butters said:
    velia's strasbourg location is also ddos protected (arbor) but i don't know how much they can tank

The idea here is storage servers, which aren't usually DDoS targets, hopefully, but yes, they do mention they have DDoS Protection.

@Hostlovin said:
    Doesn't raid 10 only give him 16 tb only tho? That brings it down to 32 a server

Correct! :-)

• Personally I've got enough France already with OVH, online.net, Ikoula, firstheberg, and whoever else I'm forgetting there. Something tells me I may not be alone. The price for the storage isn't very interesting either(to me). I think these days you either need some sort of "cool" location or a very good value to compete with the established providers.

• Setsura said: The price for the storage isn't very interesting either(to me).

+1

2TB at $28? -> hetzner dedi with 3TB for that price. you need to cut prices in halves at least ;-)

Thanked by 1Aluminat
  • zafouhar said: Well he mentioned KVM based on 8x 4TB means 32TB disk.

which is quite worrying :(

i remember buying a storage vps off a provider here who was overselling cpu like mad and it constantly had problems.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

4$ for 1TB maybe.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited November 2017

@Falzo said:

Setsura said: The price for the storage isn't very interesting either(to me).

+1

2TB at $28? -> hetzner dedi with 3TB for that price. you need to cut prices in halves at least ;-)

If you want to make it even harder, I have 8TB of storage at dacentec, on gigabit, for 25USD/m. Of course I don't actually expect anyone to match this anytime soon.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2017

@Neoon said:
    4$ for 1TB maybe.

I think el cheapo got competition ...

• France... :(

Francisco's Roost location might be interesting, but I have to investigate a little bit more about Luxembourg's privacy.

• @MikePT said:

@zafouhar said:

@TarZZ92 said:

RAID 10, which means you have roughly 15/16TB usable, so we're talking about 30 VPS max.

Oops, sorry for that - I didn't notice the Raid 10 :)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, do not go to big, like Treudler did, with nearly 200 on node fat 48TB Node.

I see your point guys, although this is HW Raid 10, which allows you to have a much greater performance, and doesn't need to be used solely for cold storage, could actually be used for anything else.
    IMHO the E3 should be enough for about 30 VPS. We'd rather have less profit per node, and rent more nodes, than stick 100 VPS on a Dual E5 2620.
    As for the location, this is the best I can get without colocating for now, even though it's not OVH, Online, Hetzner and all the sorts. It's a different thing.
    Assume this may be a standard VPS, just with a big disk, and no thin provisioning.

• may i suggest you add 4 more HDD plans : 50,100,150,250GB

and offcourse then price everyone can afford.

do iT... do it NOW " in arnie's voice"

@ehab said:
    may i suggest you add 4 more HDD plans : 50,100,150,250GB

and offcourse then price everyone can afford.

do iT... do it NOW " in arnie's voice"

Any suggestion for pricing for the 250 GB one?

• Mike, it has to be from you because there should be some math... i mean an excel sheet with sell|cost|estimated Qty|actual Qty/q1.. | profit = Mike is happy.

btw, BF is coming hahahha.... DO it FAST

Thanked by 2Aluminat MikePT
  • Honestly, most people here are just after the cheapest storage they can. RAID6 would work perfectly fine vs RAID10 for just storage. Unless you're marketing it as a regular VPS with a larger drive, in which case you should be scaling up CPU cores with the plans in my opinion.

I don't even think people would have an issue with an OVH storage host so long as it was reasonably priced. E.G FS-MAX at OVH allows you to pay a setup fee for the disks then you just have a monthly rental fee along with keeping all the benefits OVH brings to the table such as DDoS protection (yeah I know it's going to cost more per month once that increase hits) along with the cheap IPv4 (for now)

My advice would honestly be if OVH is cheaper, use OVH for storage. I know they had a big network blackout recently which is shitty and all but they're still a very good provider for the money.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • LampardLampard Member, Patron Provider

What about the packages for low disk? such as 50 GB, 100 GB

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Other competitor have planned to launch kvm storage for 5$ 1Tb... 10$ for 500gb are not competitive with other....

Thanked by 1MikePT

@ehab said:
    Mike, it has to be from you because there should be some math... i mean an excel sheet with sell|cost|estimated Qty|actual Qty/q1.. | profit = Mike is happy.

btw, BF is coming hahahha.... DO it FAST

Already done, thing is, if there would be any interest :-).

IThinkUFailed said: Honestly, most people here are just after the cheapest storage they can. RAID6 would work perfectly fine vs RAID10 for just storage. Unless you're marketing it as a regular VPS with a larger drive, in which case you should be scaling up CPU cores with the plans in my opinion.

I don't even think people would have an issue with an OVH storage host so long as it was reasonably priced. E.G FS-MAX at OVH allows you to pay a setup fee for the disks then you just have a monthly rental fee along with keeping all the benefits OVH brings to the table such as DDoS protection (yeah I know it's going to cost more per month once that increase hits) along with the cheap IPv4 (for now)

My advice would honestly be if OVH is cheaper, use OVH for storage. I know they had a big network blackout recently which is shitty and all but they're still a very good provider for the money.

Certainly true, but the OVH one-time setup fee is extremely high, wouldn't justify the investment, as the ROI would be enormous if you were to sell it even 5 USD per 1TB.

While RAID 6 is ok for most people, RAID-10 does have its performance that, when compared to RAID-10, is exponentially bigger, hence why we'd like to go with RAID-10. Granted that the storage is basically half, but there's also more performance. Our goal isn't to be the cheapest but to have a pretty good service, fast and efficient when it comes to host important stuff and retrieve those.

@Lampard said:
    What about the packages for low disk? such as 50 GB, 100 GB

It would not be worth considering the IP pricing, if we were to do it 100 GB, it'd be like $4 USD. The IPs itself do have a cost, and we cannot announce in their BGP our own subnet so we're quite limited here.

@spywork said:
    Other competitor have planned to launch kvm storage for 5$ 1Tb... 10$ for 500gb are not competitive with other....

Correct. However, I am still utilizing Backupsy.com, and paying $7 USD for 500 GB KVM, because it has been running very, very well. Thing is, cheaper products tend to be worse than higher priced products, so our idea here is to reduce our profit margins, and have more nodes / expand the infrastructure, but have all resources guaranteed, as well as reliability.

By the way folks, I must say that the criticism here is definitely helping us to get some conclusions. So keep it coming. We see some demand for storage VPS, specially those that you setup and forget about it until you need to get your backups on a DR event, so we're trying to get us a feasible strategy that will allow us both to eat and provide you the support you may need.

• i'd be interested if not FR/DE but other velia location

@hzr said:
    i'd be interested if not FR/DE but other velia location

We've been testing their locations, although FR is much cheaper due to electricity costs, all other locations are just higher, but, I see that there's probably demand for different locations. Would you go for EU or USA?

• i'd prefer velia los angeles if anything. it's mostly because all of needs in fr are covered by ovh/online already. and all of needs in de are covered by hetzner, at much lower price points for both.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@hzr said:
    i'd prefer velia los angeles if anything. it's mostly because all of needs in fr are covered by ovh/online already. and all of needs in de are covered by hetzner, at much lower price points for both.

Makes sense. Thank you! We'll seek something that pleases as many people as possible. Got to run lots of calcs... ;-)

Cheers

• basically, if you are launching fr, even if it's non -ovh.. you're gonna be competing with Those People .

Thanked by 1MikePT