Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have a problem with ZxHost? - Page 20
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you have a problem with ZxHost?

Comments

• @Mr_Tom said:
    Without wanting to "rub it in" my new VM is still working and seems more responsive than the older CEPH storage. I'm starting to move stuff to it over the weekend.

The "VPS created" email appears hand written, so I'm guessing he's still provisioning each one manually.

Responses from ZX were a bit poor, but the odd nudge and patience seemed to work.

Yes we were told - and it is obvious that manual provisioning and setup would be nescessarry,

• I do believe the LET storage plans were never auto provisioned. - Further Virtualizor is not currently integrated with the billing platform. - So manual work , besides RL, dealing with Paypal, and probably a daytime job as well ....
  • Has any refund been issued so far? I mean, other than those who paid through PayPal.

• @svmo said:

@MagicalTrain said:

@zafouhar said:

@MagicalTrain said:
    I like how Ashley started to auto close all tickets after 72 hours without a comment now.

That is WHMCS for you :) he probably misconfigured something as I believe on default whmcs installs that is how it is set for open/customer reply tickets to be auto closed in the interval defined.

My ticket had been open for a while, it only recently started being a problem. So a config changed somewhere.

Well the ticket system is probably royally overloaded at the moment.

I said yes to a new VM 23/11 - did not open any further tickets and it eventually showed up.

You stated in an earlier post -

@MagicalTrain said:
    I had a reply from Ashley a few days ago in regards to my refund request. He asked whether I wanted a vps instead. I said no. Interested in finding out how its going to continue from here.

Answer was obviously recieved since you have not been supplied a VM,

• further conclusion is that Ashley has acknowledged you are due a refund.

You further posted:

@MagicalTrain said:

@Falzo said:
    at least I am going to do so before running out of the 180 days period.

Thats my problem as well. My period runs out at the end of January. Im going to wait that long, but I dont I have it in my to have the 180 day period run past without any assurances.

I paid Ashley like 350€ for a custom vps. Not really hot on losing that.

emphasis is mine.

I do understand your worry - but - DO SHOW THE DECENCY - to wait until sometime in january

• before starting Paypal proceedings. - Dont do it prematurely out of spite or irritation.

I wouldnt do it out of spite, but I am getting irritated because Im not hearing any information regarding refunds at all. I do not know what the plan is, I do not know what the status is. And I fear if I wait too long I wont get a chargeback because of fund reasons.

I wrote a ticket to request a refund. The refund issue is not solved yet, so having to reopen the ticket every 72 hours because it gets auto-closed is a huge annoyance.

• @Shot2 said:

@svmo said:

@Shot2 said:

@svmo said:

I do understand your worry - but - DO SHOW THE DECENCY - to wait until sometime in january

• before starting Paypal proceedings. - Dont do it prematurely out of spite or irritation.

This. Just wait about ~3 years, and Ashley will automatically refund you, pro-rata.

sigh

You obviously do not understand the severity , and scale of what has happpened,

• you are further unable to read that I wrote January

Why wait ? The longer you wait, the lower the refund.

Not correct - you are obviously entitled to a refund from the day of the CEPH crash.

And the longer you wait, the less you are entitled to complain ("why would anyone wait 2 months to complain for failure to deliver a service that's been paid for", said a Paypal employee to me)

Paypal do not care shit , and are more than happy to collect their fees.

If you took this to a court of law - I do believe they would acknowledge that starting to process refunds in January was reasonable, given the severity of the event and the restructuring needed.

• svmosvmo Member
    edited December 2017

@MagicalTrain said: ...

@svmo said: ...

I wouldnt do it out of spite, but I am getting irritated because Im not hearing any information regarding refunds at all. I do not know what the plan is, I do not know what the status is. And I fear if I wait too long I wont get a chargeback because of fund reasons.

Thank you , glad to hear that - and I DO appreciate your worries.

I wrote a ticket to request a refund. The refund issue is not solved yet, so having to reopen the ticket every 72 hours because it gets auto-closed is a huge annoyance.

Well opening new tickets is probably not helping ..

Please consider this:

Looks like Paypal is blocked at the moment Papal is not going to cover refunds if they do not see a way of getting their money - you can be sure of that - so opening a claim is just going to add another fee to the list.

We are sort of all in this together - Our best interrest is for zxhost to be able to continue
    us with new VM's so we get to keep them - and You to get your refunds.

If that is made impossible by chargebacks we all loose !

• If ZXHost just communicated some information, all that guessing what is going on would not be needed. They are making things so much worse by keeping quiet..

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • MagicalTrainMagicalTrain Member
    edited December 2017

@svmo said:

@MagicalTrain said: ...

@svmo said: ...

Thank you , glad to hear that - and I DO appreciate your worries.

Well opening new tickets is probably not helping ..

I am not opening new tickets. I have had one single ticket. And it gets auto-closed if I dont write a reply every 72 hours since a few days ago.

Please consider this:

Looks like Paypal is blocked at the moment Papal is not going to cover refunds if they do not see a way of getting their money - you can be sure of that - so opening a claim is just going to add another fee to the list.

We are sort of all in this together - Our best interrest is for zxhost to be able to continue
    us with new VM's so we get to keep them - and You to get your refunds.

If that is made impossible by chargebacks we all loose !

I am considering this. Why do you think I havent opened a chargeback by now? Do you somehow think telling me that Im not being patient enough helps? I have been really patient. It just seems to get worse the longer this goes on. Continued no information and tickets get autoclosed now, making me feel like he is starting to give up.

Thanked by 1svmo
  • @SwordfishBE said:
    If ZXHost just communicated some information, all that guessing what is going on would not be needed. They are making things so much worse by keeping quiet..

Quite right !

• My personal opinion is that we are seeing a very human reaction to a stressfull situation for what I believe is currently mostly a one man operation - Have seen something like this in other areas.

However we should not overlook the good news - that new VM's are trickling in to those who said yes. - You might take that as non-verbal communication.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

It seems many have read the book "How not to treat customers 101".

• @deank said:

• @deank said:

Oh yes - even especially large fat well staffed - companies who let you wait on the phone for ages before connecting you to someone who doesn't know shit or does not have the authority to actually help you.

• @WSS - thank you we were in serious need of a gif invasion here :-)

• @svmo that aint a gif.

• @svmo have you asked for a refund?

• @MagicalTrain said:
    @svmo that aint a gif.

I stand corrected Sir ! :-) - But where is EMMA ;-)

Now please please allow me to try to lessen your worries at least for the time being ...

You have been noticed by Ashley - so keeping an open ticket is raelly not nescessary.

Seeing tickets expired faster may be a healthy sign - Somebody looked at the system and said - I'm never going to answer all 5000+ (guess ??) tickets and most of them are probably pointless or can not be answered right now - so we need to cut the queue down to something that can be managed.

As long as we are noticing any action - it is a good sign ! - There is still life !

Now the ONE thing we CAN do - is not to make the situation worse.
    This by not opening anything but strictly nescessary tickets -
    and by - at least - postponing Paypal chargebacks.

I do realize You have more financially at stake than me - I still have to worry about whether it is worth the time to start filling my 1TB with EMMA gifs/png/jpg/.... ;-)

Were I a ruthless bookie - I might offer to buy Ashley's debt to you for 10cent/$ or similar.

• Perhaps some of us should form a bookie consortium here -

I do honestly believe that we will see the situation being resolved during january.

So my advice is one of the following:

• postpone worrying till january
    • or consider it a total writeoff even now and say to yourself anything I may or may not get back is a plus
    • sell Ashley's debth to a bookie - and move on (not sure if it is possible ;-)
  • svmosvmo Member
    edited December 2017

@lurch said:
    @svmo have you asked for a refund?

No - I have got a new VM - that is much more responsive than the CEPH one.

I actually joined Ashley - about a week before the disaster - so I could within the TOS have asked for a refund -

I noticed the effort being put into trying to recover - on the ceph-maling list and also the scope of the disaster. - As you can see from earlier posts.

• I do have the background to actually understand that there was no way this could have been anticipated or prevented by Ashley, and was actually considering using CEPH for a uniersity setup I will be doing.

My take on it was as follows:

Here we have a provider who actually care about and respect his customers data enough to put countless - unpaid - hours into trying to recover them. - The easy solution for Ashley would at that point have been to write it off - and either close up shop or saying too bad but our TOS dont give any guarantees against this sort of thing. - In place we see a hardworking businessman trying to salvage both his customers data and also his business.

Now that is qualities I respect and would like to see - Any provider can be good when things run smoothly - It is when trouble hits you will see who runs away and hides behind TOS - or who will try to solve the problem out of respect for his/her customers.

No provider I have seen not even Google gives Any warranty against data loss.

_So decision my 44€ + VAT - well I'm not going to go hungry if they are a writeoff
    For Ashley it is his business - So i'm not going to be a dick and add to the misery by raising a dispute. _

I do not think using a Paypal chargeback as an insurance policy is the Right thing to do here

• I will reserve chargebacks for shitty sellers that try to run away from their obligations.

If things go badly I will take whatever refund may be offered by Ashley - but frankly keeping the VM is a far better deal.

sorry for the long reply ... but the full story may help you understand why I have put myself in Ashleys corner

• Yeah fair point apart from suggesting he was unpaid
    as it was paid for and don't think he was running the service for fun.

• svmosvmo Member
    edited December 2017

@lurch said:
    Yeah fair point apart from suggesting he was unpaid
    as it was paid for and don't think he was running the service for fun.

No of course not.
    But the LET plan can not have much revenue. - and that revenue would have been spent several times over trying to deal with this situation. - It has even been suggested that the LET plans were less than sustainable. - Ashley is sole owner and get the winnings from the company. - If he has to put in more hours his hourly wage drops rapidly.

When things are running smoothly - almost everything is automated - so there is not much budget for support time.

Indeed selling Plex hosting or storage plans makes good sense since it would likely be long term customers, which would not require much support beyond initial setup.

• If you try to do the math on what servers cost - you can look at the pricelist at Hezner. - Then you realize that you would have to run a fairly big operation to earn what would be called a normal salery. - Even if you own the hardware and colocate, rack space and power is a significant factor.
    • If you actually have to pay a salary to someone it has to be even bigger.

Now if you have additional sources of income you can afford to operate that way, a number of small businesses starts that way. - Nothing wrong with that.

Of course you may make a quicker winning by renting a cheap server and filling it 3 times over with VPS's - then put an additinal number between the rack and the powersupply, - then change unsatisfied customers every month.

But Ashley have to my knowledge not oversubscribed his hardware.

You may try to do a bit of G... research on Ashley, always good to know who you are dealing with.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

With such prices there really isnt any profit. Keep in mind all the costs involved. Thin provisioning should help but doesnt do miracles. But whenever you see a storage vps offer you always compare it to ashley and time4vps. See what has been happening. Maybe its just not sustainable...? It was your decision to signup for these offers. I get it, some companies are able to do it but that is just rare. I too considered purchasing a plan but the long time commitment was a no go. I even offered to pay monthly at a much higher price but it wasnt considered from Ashleys side. Anyway, signup for decent providers with realistic prices. Its more expensive but those need to pay for hw, colo, support and food on their tables.
    Might sound weird to read this coming from El Cheapo but granted that I always think twice before jumping for such offers. Most premium vps I got arent within LET prices ("most, because ramnode and gestiondbi are just awesome).

Thanked by 1svmo
  • @MikePT said:
    With such prices there really isnt any profit. Keep in mind all the costs involved. Thin provisioning should help but doesnt do miracles. But whenever you see a storage vps offer you always compare it to ashley and time4vps. See what has been happening. Maybe its just not sustainable...? It was your decision to signup for these offers. I get it, some companies are able to do it but that is just rare.

Well I viewed the initial offers more like a way to initially experiment wirh CEPH ( the beta a year or so back ) and when i signed on more like selling off surplus capacity cheap. - and of course a discount for yearly payment.

I too considered purchasing a plan but the long time commitment was a no go. I even offered to pay monthly at a much higher price but it wasnt considered from Ashleys side.

Strange since his ordinary range offers monthly services:
    https://billing.zxhost.co.uk/cart.php?gid=11

Anyway, signup for decent providers with realistic prices. Its more expensive but those need to pay for hw, colo, support and food on their tables.
    Might sound weird to read this coming from El Cheapo but granted that I always think twice before jumping for such offers. Most premium vps I got arent within LET prices ("most, because ramnode and gestiondbi are just awesome).

Well we are all a lot of miserly ElCheapo's here .-)

But I agree - if you want 24/7 response to tickets - and the security of a larger well founded company you have to pay the extra $.

So depending on your application you take a calculated risk - and accept the consequences in downtime in a situation like this.

The main risk with Ashley's operation is that if Ashley breaks the service breaks.
    The thing about betting on CEPH has been debated earlier ... too complicated for small operatiions.

That being said - it is my impression that Ashley in the past has managed to provide good and not oversubscribed service - his 'regular' offers looks OK and carries a much more sustainable price tag.

• but he does of course have a much harder time handling a situation like this - than a larger more well founded provider.
    Thanked by 1MikePT
  • svmo said: his 'regular' offers looks OK and carries a much more sustainable price tag

Are the ZX plans of that type still operating and holding up ok? If yes, that's a good sign.

• @willie said:

svmo said: his 'regular' offers looks OK and carries a much more sustainable price tag

Are the ZX plans of that type still operating and holding up ok? If yes, that's a good sign.

I wouldn't know ... Other services which were running at Hetzner probably are

Services which were running at 23media were according to @Falzo ' s earlier post switched off

• which is not good. - So probably no income - but also no expense to 23media.
      Some may have been migrated like the LET plans to continue at Hetzner - but we dont know.

Setting us (the LET plans) up at Hetzner is of course a way to avoid some refunds but may also be a way to set up - or re-setup - an opreations base at Hetzner. - The Plex plans have earlier been offered on nodes like ours (i7-3770). - I do notice that we only seem to be 12 clients on the node I'm on (there may be more if IPv6 is firewalled/turned off) - for 32MB memory and 4x6TB hdd that leaves some room - add a couple of higher revenue plans and it would give a +not large but still not loss giving. - I'm making a guess based on what is on Hetzners standard menu.

If Ashley actually had some owned hardware colocated at Hetzner the situation might be better.

I do think that Ashley actually digging in and supplying fresh VM's is a good sign, also there has been a clear message that people would get refunded "as and when possible" - so no trying tho shirk here. - If you want a different example go read the Serverhand thread -

I do agree with @Falzo that no updates is the wrong way to handle this.
    But neither of us are "the man on the spot" -

From my understanding of the severity of the blow, and the recovery attempted - I would be prepared to wait and see what january brings. - That being the timeframe originally set by Ashley, there may have been some financial plan behind this.

I have a couple of times thought it a writeoff and then found that things actually happened behind the scene - and hey - I now have a fresh VM.

Thanked by 1MikePT

svmo said: Strange since his ordinary range offers monthly services: https://billing.zxhost.co.uk/cart.php?gid=11

I did want a custom deal. 30 GBP for 2TB per month is just expensive, there are plenty of sustainable offers at the given price point.

svmo said: Well we are all a lot of miserly ElCheapo's here .-)

But I agree - if you want 24/7 response to tickets - and the security of a larger well founded company you have to pay the extra $.

So depending on your application you take a calculated risk - and accept the consequences in downtime in a situation like this.

The main risk with Ashley's operation is that if Ashley breaks the service breaks. The thing about betting on CEPH has been debated earlier ... too complicated for small operatiions.

That being said - it is my impression that Ashley in the past has managed to provide good and not oversubscribed service - his 'regular' offers looks OK and carries a much more sustainable price tag. - but he does of course have a much harder time handling a situation like this - than a larger more well founded provider.

Yeah well, I just think that, cheap offers are ok while they're sustainable at least to cover the hw / colo point, if not that'll be very hard to survive.

Thanked by 1svmo

willie said: Are the ZX plans of that type still operating and holding up ok? If yes, that's a good sign.

I don't think that's the case, but I don't know a single customer that signed up for the standard monthly offers tbh.

Thanked by 1svmo
  • I opened & escalated the case with paypal.
    I paid up to Dec 2018.

• @MikePT said:

svmo said: Strange since his ordinary range offers monthly services: https://billing.zxhost.co.uk/cart.php?gid=11

I did want a custom deal. 30 GBP for 2TB per month is just expensive, there are plenty of sustainable offers at the given price point.

2TB CIFS mountable storage is €9.90 at Hetzner. A tiny VPS is €3.90 on top of that. All in all way below 30 GBP.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • GustafRiemannGustafRiemann Member
    edited December 2017

Simply not work.

btw, access to detail of the vps management page is very much slow and I made several
    tries on shutdown the vps but never got a respond. Actually the login session may be timed out then before respond feeds back.

the vps is always offline and could never boot up. The ticket sent was closed without response either.

Refer to the iso selection in vps configuration popup, it's weird the iso I upload never appears there and it jumps to the add iso page after clicking the iso-list button, same effect as clicking add-an-iso button.

When I tried to disable the rescue mode, it pops up a dialog saying the vps is locked and nothing could be altered. WTF.

Really don't know how to deal with this. Feel frustrated deeply.

@svmo said:

@GustafRiemann said:
    Tried to load a cd img but none shown for selection in the configuration page
    where selects the boot sequence.

I've updated a cd img in the img page.

I did initially have the same problem, however the image did show up after a while
    the process is not nearly as instant as one would expect !

• I seem to recall I did a poweroff in Virtualizor.

... so try to have a look again. - probably takes some time for the web if machine to sync with
    the node for the VM

• @GustafRiemann said:
    Simply not work.

btw, access to detail of the vps management page is very much slow and I made several
    tries on shutdown the vps but never got a respond. Actually the login session may be timed out then before respond feeds back.

The Virtualizor interface behaves a bit strange - you dont really know if you are logged on or not

• refreshing the page in the browser will show you (you get a login prompt again or not)

the vps is always offline and could never boot up. The ticket sent was closed without response either.

Seems tickets now auto close after 72h? - see suggestion at end ...

Refer to the iso selection in vps configuration popup, it's weird the iso I upload never appears there and it jumps to the add iso page after clicking the iso-list button, same effect as clicking add-an-iso button.

'jump to the add iso page' - I saw that as well -

When I tried to disable the rescue mode, it pops up a dialog saying the vps is locked and nothing could be altered. WTF.

This might be one more symptom of the Web interface (controller) not being able to communicate with the node the VM should run on.

You mentioned at the start of this that your VM had gone 'dumb' - I never did fully understand what you meant by that - But if you meant sluggish/unresponsive - it could have been an indication of hardware problems.

So I would guess your VM host node have developed problems and is now offline.

Really don't know how to deal with this. Feel frustrated deeply.

Frustrated Understandable - you have been double unlucky - first CEPH now this.
    Thank you for behaving with patience and restraint - please continue to do so.

I'm sure this will eventually be resolved and hope Santa will bring your VM back before christmas ;-)

As for advice:

• Do post a new high priority ticket - We need to get @AshleyUK 's attention.
    • Be sure it is clear this is about one of the new vm's - so "NEW Hezner VM STILL DEAD !" or something. - Put both old and new vm id's/numbers in the ticket - along with a description - that you can not boot in rescue mode or disable it.
    • If ticket is auto closed - open a new fresh one. - Refreshing seems to put you at the end of the queue - repeat until you are noticed.
    • Consider obtaining a replacement service for a single month - that will give you something to do and lessen the frustration. -

Sure Ashley is doing his best to put things right - but apparently like Santa he is busy and works in silence ;-)

Do let us know how it goes ...

Thanked by 1hawc
  • Are you Ashley's best mate?

Thanked by 2Yura rdes
  • @lurch said:
    Are you Ashley's best mate?

Registered 19th November, right after service breakdown. Why he is so active now is quite strange to me. Especially, since those are LET packages sold months ago and he wasn't around.