Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have a problem with ZxHost? - Page 13
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you have a problem with ZxHost?

Comments

• @Francisco said:
    Never heard about the OVH movements, that's crazy if so.

Francisco

Tried G.. and came across this - though not OVH it has some interresting data on CEPH behavior
    https://about.gitlab.com/2016/11/10/why-choose-bare-metal/

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited November 2017

@Francisco said:

Francisco

it's true, while on their pages they still have it as a feature to choose between local ssd and HA storage you don't have that inside a public cloud project anymore when deploying a server.

it might still be (partially) available on old projects/instances but there definitely on their way out of this.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@svmo said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Tried G.. and came across this - though not OVH it has some interresting data on CEPH behavior
    https://about.gitlab.com/2016/11/10/why-choose-bare-metal/

Oh I've always heard that Ceph is questionable, but if you have mega amounts of drives behind it, it's supposed to hum along. I assumed OVH was in that position.

Falzo said: it's true, while on their pages they still have it as a feature to choose between local ssd and HA storage you don't have that inside a public cloud project anymore when deploying a server.

So the ceph/block storage isn't an option anymore? Interesting.

I wonder what they plan to offer instead, if anything.

Francisco

• svmo said: might well be rented

If that means the Ceph cluster is rented then ZX's 3 year deal (2TB, 36 months, $100 or so) could not possibly have covered the rent. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

Thanked by 1svmo
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited November 2017

Francisco said: I wonder what they plan to offer instead, if anything.

so far you only can choose local SSD , though by changing their lineup and naming for their instances they already switched that from being local non-raid ssd to raided ssd. so I'd say that's no coincidence but a rather planned slow brexit...

willie said: If that means the Ceph cluster is rented then ZX's 3 year deal (2TB, 36 months, $100 or so) could not possibly have covered the rent.

maybe he just rented the servers but equipped them with own disks or something like that?

Falzo said: so far you only can choose local SSD , though by changing their lineup and naming for their instances they already switched that from being local non-raid ssd to raided ssd. so I'd say that's no coincidence but a rather planned slow brexit...

Very interesting, I'll have to pull them from my comparison chart then.

Thanks for the heads up.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @willie said:

svmo said: might well be rented

If that means the Ceph cluster is rented then ZX's 3 year deal (2TB, 36 months, $100 or so) could not possibly have covered the rent. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

You have a point there ...

However I'm sure the storage plans at LET prices were with very little profit.
    but being long term would perhaps help guaranteee the raw operating costs ?

• @Francisco said:

Falzo said: so far you only can choose local SSD , though by changing their lineup and naming for their instances they already switched that from being local non-raid ssd to raided ssd. so I'd say that's no coincidence but a rather planned slow brexit...

Very interesting, I'll have to pull them from my comparison chart then.

Thanks for the heads up.

you're welcome!

while we're at it, you still can add additional disks to all instances and also those are available in so-called "classic" or "high-performance" flavour. yet there is no info about the underlying storage technique used for that, besides that it is supposed to be replicated.

also interesting to know, that you can't mix old projects with new instances. it'll only let you choose from the old product range there. IMHO that clearly speaks for them having made a more or less transparent cut at some point...

Falzo said: also interesting to know, that you can't mix old projects with new instances. it'll only let you choose from the old product range there. IMHO that clearly speaks for them having made a more or less transparent cut at some point...

Smells like it.

Francisco

• svmo said: I'm sure the storage plans at LET prices were with very little profit. but being long term would perhaps help guaranteee the raw operating costs ?

No I'm not getting through. Raw hard drives cost around $30/TB and if you add the server hardware wrapped around them and some RAID redundancy, you have to be in the $60/TB range. They were selling it for $50/TB for 3 years, which means the 3 years doesn't even pay off the hardware, let alone colo fees and other costs. If the gear is rented with the DC making a profit on the rent, then the plans had to be running at a huge loss, which means the offer amounted to "need cash now!!1!". The only way I could see it working is if they already owned a big pile of paid-off HDD's from earlier projects and wanted to get some more revenue off them. Renting the HDD's in order to sell them at a loss is a quick way to spell doom.

Thanked by 1svmo
  • @willie Unless Ashley works for the transit/carrier, where he gets a good deal- but still, this whole thing was really sad. He didn't deserve this load of shit. Good to see he's at least partially back online. I've known large businesses who would have just thrown up their hands and walked away by now.

Thanked by 1svmo
  • @WSS said:
    @willie Unless Ashley works for the transit/carrier, where he gets a good deal- but still, this whole thing was really sad. He didn't deserve this load of shit. Good to see he's at least partially back online. I've known large businesses who would have just thrown up their hands and walked away by now.

More likely run screaming for the hills ... so full marks for resilience.

Thanked by 2WSS vimalware
  • Have you received an update?

How is the situation now?

My vps always have this message:

Could not create PVE2_API object

• @comeback said:
    Have you received an update?

How is the situation now?

My vps always have this message:

Could not create PVE2_API object

sorry we kind of derailed this a bit, start reading here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2504663/#Comment_2504663

Thanked by 1svmo
  • @svmo said:
    They offer the HP Servers Ashley mentions -so might well be rented.
    You can see what is offered for rent by them at their website. - No prices.

You can put an incredible amount of both memory and disks in these boxes.
    The thing is HP disks don't come cheap - And if you look at the prices Hetzner charges to put an extra disk in a dedi our storage deals would not be feasible.

But I guess 23media might have a deal with HP ... and Ashley clearly must have gotten a better deal than Hetzner's price list.

you can find 23media.de prices at wht https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1682467

Thanked by 2svmo Falzo
  • GustafRiemannGustafRiemann Member
    edited November 2017

Anyone get the new vps in hetzner?

What about your disk IO performance?

I tried to apt install vim but it took a very long time than expected and even took more than 2 hr to finish the apt upgrade task.

I notice the wa listed in top was as high as 99.

This situation, if is normal, is really intolerable no mention to a shrink to the specs. :(

Thanked by 1svmo
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@GustafRiemann said:

I'm gonna wait a week before I attempt to do anything with it. Seems like everyone is filling up their new storage VMs at the moment.

Thanked by 1svmo
  • Maybe you are right. And it'll be better the lost data in the former one could be found back.

I hope the spec would be the same as before but it shrinks now.

Not sure if this could be fulfilled.

@Harambe said:

@GustafRiemann said:

I'm gonna wait a week before I attempt to do anything with it. Seems like everyone is filling up their new storage VMs at the moment.

• @GustafRiemann said:

haven't heard anything yet .. when did you get yours ?

Is it indeed moved to hetzner ? - Asking since at least - part of the 23media services were reactivated.

@GustafRiemann said:

I haven't asked, but yeah I went from the 2.1TB plan down to 1TB on the Hetzner VPS. I have a feeling we won't get the extra storage back from that promo.

• Did not hear anything, and while I understand the change of specs, the "no news" situation starts to really piss me off.

@Miky said:
    Did not hear anything, and while I understand the change of specs, the "no news" situation starts to really piss me off.

Did you request a replacement VM or refund? Best to ticket if you haven't

• I opened a ticket with the first email with my choice but neither I have the new vps.

• @cpsd said:
    I opened a ticket with the first email with my choice but neither I have the new vps.

likewise - and no response either :-(

they are probably still provisioned manually .... so imagine we are in the queue somewhere.

edited November 2017

@svmo said:

@GustafRiemann said:

haven't heard anything yet .. when did you get yours ?

Is it indeed moved to hetzner ? - Asking since at least - part of the 23media services were reactivated.

I got mine after I reply the email with the OS type I need. About a few hours or so.

Does move to hetzner but the net IO is not satisfied and I've mailed to see if any possibility to solve.

Thanked by 1svmo
    edited November 2017

@Harambe said:

@GustafRiemann said:

I haven't asked, but yeah I went from the 2.1TB plan down to 1TB on the Hetzner VPS. I have a feeling we won't get the extra storage back from that promo.

Me either.

But now I prefer to trust and support Ashley. Were I him, done with this hot potato, I would keep the promise. Even if he frankly tells us that the former plan won't support financially or whatever, I will also understand and only by then I would consider and make a new decision.

If that unfortunately comes true, I'll consider an alternative. Actually I have got a backup plan to switch.

As long as Ashley keeps his promise of the former plan, he has my priority.

• Update

The disk IO seems to turn back to a normal state and the IO speed could maintain at around 150Mbps.

But the net IO is still a problem.

CPU model : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Number of cores : 1

CPU frequency : 3399.998 MHz

Total size of Disk : 1008.0 GB (1.8 GB Used)

Total amount of Mem : 2004 MB (38 MB Used)

Total amount of Swap : 1023 MB (0 MB Used)

System uptime : 0 days, 0 hour 2 min

Load average : 0.01, 0.01, 0.00

Arch : x86_64 (64 Bit)

Kernel : 4.9.0-4-amd64

I/O speed(1st run) : 152 MB/s

I/O speed(2nd run) : 125 MB/s

I/O speed(3rd run) : 157 MB/s

Average I/O speed : 144.7 MB/s

Node Name IPv4 address Download Speed

CacheFly 205.234.175.175 85.8MB/s

Linode, Tokyo, JP 106.187.96.148 1.29MB/s

Linode, Singapore, SG 139.162.23.4 1.18MB/s

Linode, London, UK 176.58.107.39 8.79MB/s

Linode, Frankfurt, DE 139.162.130.8 49.0MB/s

Linode, Fremont, CA 50.116.14.9 551KB/s

Softlayer, Dallas, TX 173.192.68.18 2.84MB/s

Softlayer, Seattle, WA 67.228.112.250 1.42MB/s

Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE 159.122.69.4 26.7MB/s

Softlayer, Singapore, SG 119.81.28.170 1.38MB/s

Softlayer, HongKong, CN 119.81.130.170 1.31MB/s

Thanked by 1svmo
  • FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited November 2017

@GustafRiemann

150Mbps = ~19MB/s

1.2Gbps = ~150MB/s

The benchmark shows disk IO to be just fine.

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

This means some of you already established contact with Ashley and received a new VPS with Hetzner? I opened a ticket and e-mailed Ashley two days ago regarding a new setup of my VPS with 23media when he sent that mail. But I did not even receive any kind of response so far. I will wait a few days but if I receive nothing within one week, I might give up and request my money back from PayPal. I just like to know whether I get a VPS or my money; taking both isn't serious.

• nothing new here either...

@dfroe said:

much like me. will give some more time to sort through things, but would like to get a ticket reply at least after a week...