Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

WootHosting: Definitely Not Woot

WootHosting: Definitely Not Woot

BrandonthegodBrandonthegod Member
edited November 13 in Reviews

About three months ago I purchased the $1 a year hosting plan. Going in, I expected support and the service to be poor. However, I expected that I would still be able to run a website on it with decent up time. For example, I expected that the server would remain online, however, page loading would be slow as well as other functions.

However, they blew me out of the water, not in a good way. Their overall up time during this duration is 90.51%, absolutely ridiculous. All the while, you have Jason assuring you on his service being right, and it just being a temporary fluke. All the while, you never receive any form of notification about the server being down.

Let's start at the beginning, I saw this offer on LowEndBox, being willing to lose my money was fine, it's $1 and I get to play with cPanel! The first 2-3 weeks were quiet, as Jason was quickly loaded the server as I presume. The first problem started with a "DDOS attack" requiring him to migrate everyone to a new server and having our websites down for 4-5 days. Even better, even though I purchased Buffalo, New York service, he ended up migrating us to Los Angeles. I wonder why that happened, but so be it.

Several weeks later, the server hit peak problems. 16-17 CPU load on an 8-cpu server (likely in reality a 4 core/8 thread CPU). When opening tickets saying that this is ridiculous, they respond with "be patient with us" and "we optimized it." I have no clue what optimization means still when the server load is at the same levels. Worse, they appear to out source support to people who don't have a great grasp of English. Better yet, even billing is our sourced.

A few days ago I received a response to my email to Jason. He claims that the problems are over on server80. But, I don't think the problems are anywhere near over!

Never buy web hosting from Woot Hosting. However, their VPS service, while not great, is still usable. Jason, please stop selling unsustainable offers, especially the insane reseller and master reseller packages.

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker Member, Provider
    edited November 13

~ 90% https://uptime.is/90 that's around ~37ish days of downtime at maximum per year. Even if that was to happen you still are getting away sorta cheap if you consider monthly power costs etc for a server. Of course this is a very nice uptime to work with and I guess we have some better offers here for similar pricing BUT for 1$ minus PayPal fees I wouldn't be able to complain, really. That's just me though perhaps. Not to say Woothosting has a reputation of being a premium provider here anyways. About the CPU etc.. well it is obviously oversold but then again 1$/year. What do you expect?

/Signature/ https://uptime.is

• Brandonthegod said: $1 a year hosting plan

Found the problem.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • definitelyliamdefinitelyliam Member, Provider
    edited November 13

A hobby site I have on server80. But hey, $1.

HostCule - Shared Hosting - $3/yr | Reseller Hosting - $2/mo

• deankdeank Member
    edited November 13

90% uptime is actually not that bad for what you've paid. 1 buck yearly, that's pretty much free hosting.

Expecting 99% uptime would be foolish.

Now, please create another thread demanding a refund and threaten to sue them.

LET-Lives-Matter | I am a sarcastic troll and has a fetish in PMS. For kids, PMS means "Premenstrual syndrome" and guys can have PMS.

• I paid $21/year for VPS, the worst hosting I ever used. Still ask for refund...

• grape

Thanked by 3pike MikePT Janevski
  • Everyone bashing on OP for paying $1/yr and expecting somewhat decent uptime... Shit, you could get a NAT VPS with @davidgestiondbi, @mikho, or @cam and easily achieve better performance and 99%+ uptime for just a couple bucks. It's doable. Apparently not for WootWorstHosting, but it's doable.

Thanked by 1Cam
  • @Ympker said: ~ 90% https://uptime.is/90 that's around ~37ish days of downtime at maximum per year. Even if that was to happen you still are getting away sorta cheap if you consider monthly power costs etc for a server. Of course this is a very nice uptime to work with and I guess we have some better offers here for similar pricing BUT for 1$ minus PayPal fees I wouldn't be able to complain, really. That's just me though perhaps. Not to say Woothosting has a reputation of being a premium provider here anyways. About the CPU etc.. well it is obviously oversold but then again 1$/year. What do you expect?

I am in no way complaining, just highlighting the specifics.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I have their reseller and vps. Its great and very cheap. About the reseller its ok. Everyday have downtime about 2 minute. Nvm. Its ok. Thanks ympker for the calculation. Nice.

Noobies in Linux

• @deank said: 90% uptime is actually not that bad for what you've paid. 1 buck yearly, that's pretty much free hosting.

Expecting 99% uptime would be foolish.

Now, please create another thread demanding a refund and threaten to sue them.

I don't care about getting my $1 back. This isn't meant to be a complaint, this is meant to highlight the issues I've experienced. My problem isn't so much the downtime, but the response to the downtime.

@MasonR said: Everyone bashing on OP for paying $1/yr and expecting somewhat decent uptime... Shit, you could get a NAT VPS with @davidgestiondbi, @mikho, or @cam and easily achieve better performance and 99%+ uptime for just a couple bucks. It's doable. Apparently not for WootWorstHosting, but it's doable.

I didn't exactly bash the OP for his choice just pointed out that you can't exactly expect too much, really. I also mentioned that there are indeed providers who do a better job with such low budget plans (just implying that this is not necessarily to be expected for 1$). I am happy with my 1$ (or was it 2?!) yearly hosting plan from @Cam myself. So it isn't all that bad within that budget.

Thanked by 2MasonR Cam
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Provider
    edited November 13

Brandonthegod said: I purchased the $1 a year hosting plan

Brandonthegod said: I expected that I would still be able to run a website on it with decent up time.

Hmm, Think about it logically, how many things can you pay 1USD that you get constant use for that last a year?

250ml of milk... nope

A can of soup ... nope

A cheap pen ... nope

A budget bar of soap ... nope

A pair of scissors ... nope

A knife .... nope

A 2nd hand 64mb USB stick ... hmm maybe.

Now how many things can you buy for $1 p/year (for context that is about 8 cents per month) that will work without issue for a whole year that actually has an ongoing cost attached to them to the vendor in terms of time investment and license fee's?

Well, not a shared hosting account it seems, because after fee's and nominally assigned offtakes for the aforementioned they are actually getting about 50 cents, if that.

If they offered it for 0.04USD p/month would you still expect the same?

I think by far the most surprising thing here is that you seem to genuinely have expected something different to the experience you got, that is the real shocker.

Anyway, I wrote this without malus in good humor, I mean no one any offense, just giving my perspective on something I can't quite wrap my head around in terms of the expectations of people, please don't call me an unprofessional nipple hard racist fart mother.

Inception Hosting Limited - NL, UK, Phoenix AZ USA, KVM and OpenVZ | NEW PURE NVME SSD OpenVZ UK

• @Ympker said: I also mentioned that there are indeed providers who do a better job with such low budget plans

Absolutely. Maybe "bashing" wasn't the right word to use in my comment, but nevertheless as you stated, a world of difference could be had with just another buck and picking a provider that actually knows what they're doing and cares about their customers.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @MasonR said:

@Ympker said: I also mentioned that there are indeed providers who do a better job with such low budget plans

Absolutely. Maybe "bashing" wasn't the right word to use in my comment, but nevertheless as you stated, a world of difference could be had with just another buck and picking a provider that actually knows what they're doing and cares about their customers.

No offense taken. I'm going back to my non-LowEnd webhost. Just thought I give them a try for $1 a year. I went ahead and posted yet another warning for people considering their web hosting.

Thanked by 2MasonR Ympker
  • Ho-ostHo-ost Member, Provider
    edited November 13

@Brandonthegod said: The first problem started with a "DDOS attack" requiring him to migrate everyone to a new server and having our websites down for 4-5 days. Even better, even though I purchased Buffalo, New York service, he ended up migrating us to Los Angeles. I wonder why that happened, but so be it.

I feel you have the right to complain. At the same time, perhaps it should of been expected. In their thread it states that $1 package comes with "Advanced DDoS Protection". Was this protection even enabled?

I've found no guarantee regarding their uptime for the $1 package, so excluding that, everything else is valid to complain about. If they can't handle the amount of customers they get for them cheap prices, they shouldn't be selling the quantity they sell.

I've seen a few $1 packages, and I've even gone as low as $3. But it would be irresponsible to sell hundreds of these packages when they don't seem to be able to handle the capacity. Sure, they get a quick buck, but what's the point if your customer's aren't happy and aren't likely to renew? More money to be made by them by selling at an average price and providing a less-crowded experience.

They seem to be focused on apologising instead of fixing their problems which cuts out the need to apologise.

• Its hilarious some people (some also providers) are bashing OP for expecting to get what he paid for. If it's not doable for 1$ then provider should not have offered it ! Its not up for customer to know all the economy behind hosting and what is sustainable and what not.

Thanked by 1Ho-ost
  • WoOt is doing very good here. They know negative PR is also good enough to attract customers and they are doing exactly that. Shilling openly and such.

LET-Lives-Matter | I am a sarcastic troll and has a fetish in PMS. For kids, PMS means "Premenstrual syndrome" and guys can have PMS.

@drizbo said: Its hilarious some people (some also providers) are bashing OP for expecting to get what he paid for. If it's not doable for 1$ then provider should not have offered it ! Its not up for customer to know all the economy behind hosting and what is sustainable and what not.

In all fairness I wouldn't expect my average Joe to know what resources etc cost me as a provider but given this is LET - and we are all beyond rescue - it can be assumed that the techy audience in this very forum knows better (or atleast I hope so). Not sure if that was a LET offer or one to the general public (I read that too fast) but anyway no offense intended in either direction @Brandonthegod :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Provider

drizbo said: Its hilarious some people (some also providers) are bashing OP for expecting to get what he paid for. If it's not doable for 1$ then provider should not have offered it !

We dont mean any offense, and thats kind of the point we are making, they should not be offering it :)

Inception Hosting Limited - NL, UK, Phoenix AZ USA, KVM and OpenVZ | NEW PURE NVME SSD OpenVZ UK

Thanked by 3Ympker drizbo Ho-ost
  • Isn't it time to stop threads about woothosting. Ive seen too many threats.

|post4vps| for a free vps for your developement| me |

• @perryoo11 said: Isn't it time to stop threads about woothosting. Ive seen too many threats.

You've seen too many threats or threads?

Regarding the $1 deal at WootHosting, from what I can tell, what it gets you is a web hosting account for a year with no assurance that it will generally be usable.

"[T]he number of UNIX installations has grown to 16, with more expected." (K. Thompson & D. M. Ritchie, UNIX Programmer's Manual, 3ed, 1973)

• Hello,

I have reviewed this thread, and believe all these issues that users are reporting are related to one shared hosting server.

One of our shared hosting servers was under a large scale DDoS attack, to give you an idea – this attack is on the higher end of the scale – so high that it would take most hosts out of business if they were faced with an attack of this scale, should they not have appropriate DDoS protection. The good news is WootHosting has the resources and capability to combat this attack.

While our servers have always had on-demand DDoS protection enabled, we had to shift this particular server to a stronger level of protection, to a protection level that is Always On. This attack is an anomaly – and frankly speaking from experience, I’ve personally never seen such a persistant attacker in my 6+ years working in the web hosting industry.

This issue can now be considered resolved, as we did work closely with our data center to up the protection levels on this server - in order to better combat this complex attack.

We have already updated all of our customers who have submitted a ticket about this, but if there's anything else that we can assist you with, please open a new support ticket or email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Jesse Cordova

• @AnthonySmith said:

Brandonthegod said: I purchased the $1 a year hosting plan

Brandonthegod said: I expected that I would still be able to run a website on it with decent up time.

Hmm, Think about it logically, how many things can you pay 1USD that you get constant use for that last a year?

250ml of milk... nope

A can of soup ... nope

A cheap pen ... nope

A knife .... nope

A 2nd hand 64mb USB stick ... hmm maybe.

Now how many things can you buy for $1 p/year (for context that is about 8 cents per month) that will work without issue for a whole year that actually has an ongoing cost attached to them to the vendor in terms of time investment and license fee's?

Well, not a shared hosting account it seems, because after fee's and nominally assigned offtakes for the aforementioned they are actually getting about 50 cents, if that.

If they offered it for 0.04USD p/month would you still expect the same?

I think by far the most surprising thing here is that you seem to genuinely have expected something different to the experience you got, that is the real shocker.

Anyway, I wrote this without malus in good humor, I mean no one any offense, just giving my perspective on something I can't quite wrap my head around in terms of the expectations of people, please don't call me an unprofessional nipple hard racist fart mother.

To be fair, woothosting made this offer. If the price was too low for them to make a profit on, or deliver a decent service for, then they would've willingly and knowingly provided a service that would turn out to be shit.

So yes, the negative PR is justified imo.

Yo mama so fat each of her butt-cheeks has its own /8.

Thanked by 3AnthonySmith Ho-ost WSS
  • mikhomikho Member, Provider

@AnthonySmith said:

If you are not paying for the product, you are the product.

ask me about Storage offers
    NAT VPS in Germany, USA, Bulgaria available, Order here! and some Shared Hosting offers
    Locations: Phoenix (US) | Amsterdam (NL) | Atlanta (US) | Milan (IT) | Kansas City (US) | Falkenstein (DE), | Sofia (BG)
    Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited November 13

@AnthonySmith said: Hmm, Think about it logically, how many things can you pay 1USD that you get constant use for that last a year?

250ml of milk... nope

A can of soup ... nope

A cheap pen ... nope

A knife .... nope

Sometimes you can get some bargains, too. One store mis-shipped some dog food, so I got a rather nice 3lb bag of Beneful Chicken and Rice (not postdated) for $1. I gave it to her as treats until she saw how large the bag was, and figured out it wasn't a treat.

I actually started off with a $1/yr hosting plan before everyone was idiots. They didn't pretend that it was Unlimited, and it was CPanel based. Within two months, I was their lead admin.. how I keep falling into work like that I have no idea.

This is a very accurate numeric for PayPal; $0.35 processing fee, then X% of charge for business accounts.

Nipple hard Nazi facsist fartmonger.

What is Black Friday? Baby don't hurt me. Don't hurt me. No more.

• WHTWHT Member

Holly crap for $1 such a text. Am paying $10 for 500 words article so seems will contact you to do some business.

Misterhost.NET (aff) 30% OFF with coupon LET30
    TightHost.com (aff) Reseller Hosting at €2.45

• @AnthonySmith said: Hmm, Think about it logically, how many things can you pay 1USD that you get constant use for that last a year?

@WSS I think you missed that part. You wasted a lot of time making this memes, that are kinda pointless.

Ultra Affordable VPSs - if you can find cheaper ones let me know! No downtime for nearly two years! | 6GB KVM VPS for $5,99/mo!
    Hybrid Servers - create customizable VPSs on dedicated node managed by wishosting.com | 1TB KVM Storage VPS for $14,99/qt!

• WSSWSS Member

What I don't understand is the number of people who get pissed and write diatribes about the provider, but haven't already left them.

Never shit on someone who can delete all of your data- until you have it backed up somewhere else.

• It's like filing for a divorce, yet expecting your wife to give you a blowjob.

• @WSS said: What I don't understand is the number of people who get pissed and write diatribes about the provider, but haven't already left them.

Never shit on someone who can delete all of your data- until you have it backed up somewhere else.

Already backed up. :)

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @WootHosting_Jesse said: Hello,

I have reviewed this thread, and believe all these issues that users are reporting are related to one shared hosting server.

One of our shared hosting servers was under a large scale DDoS attack, to give you an idea – this attack is on the higher end of the scale – so high that it would take most hosts out of business if they were faced with an attack of this scale, should they not have appropriate DDoS protection. The good news is WootHosting has the resources and capability to combat this attack.

While our servers have always had on-demand DDoS protection enabled, we had to shift this particular server to a stronger level of protection, to a protection level that is Always On. This attack is an anomaly – and frankly speaking from experience, I’ve personally never seen such a persistant attacker in my 6+ years working in the web hosting industry.

This issue can now be considered resolved, as we did work closely with our data center to up the protection levels on this server - in order to better combat this complex attack.

We have already updated all of our customers who have submitted a ticket about this, but if there's anything else that we can assist you with, please open a new support ticket or email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Jesse Cordova

Thanks for some response. However, I have previously contacted you guys regarding other issues with the service and I get a run around. Nothing mentioned about the massive overloading and constant downtime. Keep your dollar.

• @Brandonthegod said: The first problem started with a "DDOS attack" requiring him to migrate everyone to a new server and having our websites down for 4-5 days. Even better, even though I purchased Buffalo, New York service, he ended up migrating us to Los Angeles. I wonder why that happened, but so be it.

I feel you have the right to complain. At the same time, perhaps it should of been expected. In their thread it states that $1 package comes with "Advanced DDoS Protection". Was this protection even enabled?

I've found no guarantee regarding their uptime for the $1 package, so excluding that, everything else is valid to complain about. If they can't handle the amount of customers they get for them cheap prices, they shouldn't be selling the quantity they sell.

I've seen a few $1 packages, and I've even gone as low as $3. But it would be irresponsible to sell hundreds of these packages when they don't seem to be able to handle the capacity. Sure, they get a quick buck, but what's the point if your customer's aren't happy and aren't likely to renew? More money to be made by them by selling at an average price and providing a less-crowded experience.

They seem to be focused on apologising instead of fixing their problems which cuts out the need to

There is in fact a guarantee in their TOS of 99.9% on their website. Really, I'm not concerned about it. It was an experiment and I thought I'd document my experience. In no way am I complaining. I got my money's worth.

Thanked by 1Ho-ost
  • @Brandonthegod said:

I got my money's worth.

Indeed.

• WSSWSS Member

@Brandonthegod said: I got my money's worth.

• WSSWSS Member

@Neoon said:

Are you calling the OP a faggot?

• NeoonNeoon Member
    edited November 13

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

It just a picture with wood, how you deflect such questions from it, no idea.

• WSSWSS Member

@Neoon said:

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

A faggot is a bundle of sticks.

• @WSS said:

@Neoon said:

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

It’s also a rather disgusting collection of meat

'Nekki can not stand behind the penis' - Shc on Hostloc

• WSSWSS Member

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

Pork faggots don't exist in real countries.

• @WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

It’s the food of Empires.

• WSSWSS Member

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

So it's made completely of salt and dicks?

• @angstrom said:

@perryoo11 said: Isn't it time to stop threads about woothosting. Ive seen too many threats.

You've seen too many threats or threads?

Regarding the $1 deal at WootHosting, from what I can tell, what it gets you is a web hosting account for a year with no assurance that it will generally be usable.

Let's say both ;)

|post4vps| for a free vps for your developement| me |

• @WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

That would be a fairly accurate representation of the content.

• WSSWSS Member

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

Are pork brains, or faggots better?

• mikhomikho Member, Provider

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

That image .... so small, I demand a repost to its former glory!

ask me about Storage offers
    NAT VPS in Germany, USA, Bulgaria available, Order here! and some Shared Hosting offers
    Locations: Phoenix (US) | Amsterdam (NL) | Atlanta (US) | Milan (IT) | Kansas City (US) | Falkenstein (DE), | Sofia (BG)
  • @mikho said:

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

Let's make it smaller.

• The image is getting smaller... like as if it's becoming a distant memory... This thread is flying away ~

• @Winne said:

@mikho said:

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

Let's make it smaller.

We must go deeper.

Black Friday Hypeeeee

• @Harambe said:

@Winne said:

@mikho said:

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

@WSS said:

@Neoon said:

Let's make it smaller.

We must go deeper.

This discussion has been closed.