Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rating of Providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rating of Providers

LoWEndBox is a wonderful place for finding budget servers, but the missing feature is that it is difficult to choose providers by reputation. Each offer has very useful comments by clients, but reviewing different providers by this approach is very subjective.

It is very useful that LowEndBox introduces top provides of each quarter, but I think this should be extended to a more global rating system to identify the most reliable (better rated by users) for each category of servers.

Comments

• spekkspekk Member
    edited August 2013

well, the top providers is enough for me, a more complex rating system would get people to try and mess with it

also, I think lowendbox is not a reviewing website, as I understand it's a website where offers are presented, and the users comment on them.

• @spekk said:
    well, the top providers is enough for me, a more complex rating system would get people to try and mess with it

also, I think lowendbox is not a reviewing website, as I understand it's a website where offers are presented, and the users comment on them.

I do agree with you, and I did not meant to create a voting system. I meant it is useful if expanding the process of choosing top providers of Qx.

• There's so much talking about providers already... :)

• @Spirit said:
    There's so much talking about providers already... :)

Exactly, TOO MUCH, and it is hard to capture useful information through long speculative and descriptive comments.

• How do you rate them though? Sometimes it is subjective. You can say a provider is better, but under what measures? Things also keep evolving.

• @concerto49 said:
    How do you rate them though? Sometimes it is subjective. You can say a provider is better, but under what measures? Things also keep evolving.

You are quite right! I just wanted to brainstorm to find a way to choose top providers through opposite comments.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2013

@Bartok said:
    You are quite right! I just wanted to brainstorm to find a way to choose top providers through opposite comments.

Opposite in what sense ? Need a worst provider top ? I have a lot of enemies here, it would be fun to be in top 3 both worst and best provider :P

Leaving jokes aside, it would be indeed a lot of fun if ppl can vote + and - for the providers :)

• Clients have different criteria. My advice for people who want to search for good host is to research a bit and then try host month to month first. Once you get a feel of the host, then go for longer commitment later.

Some host I thought were not very good. I tried them monthly, and I figured they were great host!

Since LEB is cheap, I guess it won't hurt the wallet to try several host to find the one that suits you.

Thanked by 2mpkossen Maounique
  • @concerto49 said:
    How do you rate them though? Sometimes it is subjective. You can say a provider is better, but under what measures? Things also keep evolving.

I agree. Some good host sometimes suddenly degrade. Then some new host takes their place for quality.

• Tastes differ. Expectations differ. I can admire a provider and deem it very good, whereas someone else, expecting quite something else, will be full of venom and calling the same provider names.

I prefer to read and take into account reviews, based upon longer usage of hosting resources - that at least gives some correlation with reality.

Thanked by 2mpkossen Maounique
  • The rating is already inaccurate as some providers have more customers so even if a smaller provider is better, because they don't have as many customers, they will get lower score. Maybe it needs to be weighted somehow?

edited August 2013

That is impossible, and even the fact a provider has more customers or is bigger is a factor in how people choose. Weighting that is a bad idea as a consequence, even if it was possible, because you cant know for sure how many customers x or y has.

• @Maounique said:
    That is impossible, and even the fact a provider has more customers or is bigger is a factor in how people choose. Weighting that is a bad idea as a consequence, even if it was possible, because you cant know for sure how many customers x or y has.

I agree that it would be difficult if not impossible to have a weighted score. But it would be fairer to the smaller hosts who otherwise end up with next to zero votes. This means that new people on here don't buy from them, which again means that they won't get many votes. Vicious circle.

Come on, Ramnode is pretty new and they just won, also prometeus is not for much longer here and managed to get in the first 3 after 2 quarters.

• It wouldn't be a bad idea: i would definitely be happy to see such a system. Maybe not an up-down vote, but a review system (shared logins with lowendtalk, so only for example users with 15+ posts and 1 month registration can review - this way it would be harder to manipulate the results). This way you can select who do you believe in (if that member is already respected by you on the forums, for example)