Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How public IPs are assigned to hosts?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How public IPs are assigned to hosts?

boralesborales Member
edited November 2017 in Help

Lets say I'm a new provider . So I buy/lease an IP range from ARIN for example.
What now?

What exactly is further done with those IPs to get them assigned to VPSs? Does process require special equipment at provider end?

I've searched the internet but couldn't find a straight forward answer. I've red explanations about things like BGP routers but still can't put all the pieces together.

Could someone please explain full process in details?

Comments

• joerijoeri Member, Host Rep, LIR

You can ask your hosting provider to announce the IP space

• GTHostGTHost Member, Patron Provider

you cannot buy IPv4 from ARIN, you can buy only IPv6

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2017

If you have an IP range assigned to you (IPv4 or IPv6) either through allocation from your regional internet registry [link] (ARIN, RIPE, APNIC, etc) or through another assignee that leases them, you are generally SWIP'd the block, and can provide your provider with either a LOA for manual validation, or if your upstreams support automatic LOA you can setup those records [link].

Once you have that in place, you can either work with your provider to have an IP range advertised from their routers, or setup a BGP relationship and advertise those IP's from your router. From there you assign an iP from the range to your routers internal network interface, assign the other IP's to VPS that can contact that router, and your packets are able to be routed in/out from the internet.

If you want to learn how this entire process works, DN42 emulates all of the components to the public internet / bgp peering for free in the RFC1918 private IP space.

IonSwitch offers free BGP peering, free advertisement, and IP rental.

Thanked by 1borales
  • @IonSwitch_Stan said:
    IonSwitch offers free BGP peering, free advertisement, and IP rental.

I'll take all three for free. Throw in a machine or two, and we'll talk paying for service. Not on the air, though- I have a reputation to uphold!

• OMG @WSS, your dates get better every day!

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2017

I'll take all three for free.

Customer's always right, even if they dont respect the oxford comma. I assume you'll want regular rotations of your block as well.

• @IonSwitch_Stan said:

I'll take all three for free.

Customer's always right, even if they dont respect the oxford comma. I assume you'll want regular rotations of your block as well.

Ooh, you actually found one of my triggers. I support the Oxford comma, like God, Queen, and country.

Yeah, I'll burnrun through them quickly because I really suck at making poor software which I use to steal from public promos.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited November 2017

@mariya said:
    I truly delighted in perusing your post. I discovered this as an instructive and intriguing post, so I think it is exceptionally helpful and proficient. I might want to thank you for the exertion you have made in composing this post.

Spam bot around us?

Thanked by 1hostdare