Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What can those Cheap VPSes do?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What can those Cheap VPSes do?

I have to admit that paying for cheap VPSes is addictive.
Whenever I found a cheap VPSes I just want to get it, whether I will use them or not. What would you do with those cheap VPSes? I don't want my cheap VPSes to lie idle.

Comments

• Instead of multiple cheap vps take a nice dedi that way you can have multiple vps :)

• GTHostGTHost Member, Patron Provider

maybe it's time to buy cheap servers? ))))

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Chad said: I don't want my cheap VPSes to lie idle.

You must be new here...

No seriously, some things I do with mine:

• vpn
    • web serving (php+fpm, nodejs, etc.)
    • mail gateway
    • desktop in the sky
    • tentacle hentai animation rendering
    • linux development
    • backup/storage
    • plex
    Thanked by 2sipe perryoo11
  • @Frame said:
    Instead of multiple cheap vps take a nice dedi that way you can have multiple vps :)

but that requires lot of knowledge (i guess) and multiple ips.

• ChadChad Member
    edited November 2017

@Frame said:
    Instead of multiple cheap vps take a nice dedi that way you can have multiple vps :)

Then I will have multiple idle vps...

Thanked by 1jetchirag
  • ChadChad Member
    edited November 2017

@raindog308 said:

Chad said: I don't want my cheap VPSes to lie idle.

You must be new here...

No seriously, some things I do with mine:

• vpn
    • web serving (php+fpm, nodejs, etc.)
    • mail gateway
    • desktop in the sky
    • tentacle hentai animation rendering
    • linux development
    • backup/storage
    • plex

cool! It's just what I had in mind :) ps:what does the "desktop in the sky" means

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Chad said: ps:what does the "desktop in the sky" means

Create a VPS with a desktop GUI (Linux or Windows) and remote into it. No matter where you are, that desktop will always be the same. It's not useful in all scenarios but some like it.

Thanked by 1jaypeesmith
  • mkshmksh Member
    edited November 2017

x2go?

@raindog308 said:
    Create a VPS with a desktop GUI (Linux or Windows) and remote into it. No matter where you are, that desktop will always be the same. It's not useful in all scenarios but some like it.

It's a life saver when you are stuck with ancient hardware but have a usable (>16kb/s) internet connection.

• @Chad said:

@Frame said:

Then I will have multiple idle vps...

Wrong, if you have multiple vps you have lot of them idle, if you buy a dedi you just create vps when you need

• @seenu said:

@Frame said:

but that requires lot of knowledge (i guess) and multiple ips.

No so much knowledge, using an hypervisor is not so difficoult

• VPN's and storage is a great way to make them feel useful

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited November 2017

Cheap VPS are very useful in attacking webhosts as well. Buy one, let it idle for a bit and then blame its webhost for apparently horrible performance while spending shit ton of energy asking for a refund on his 1 dollar VPS => LET drama.

Thanked by 1kh81
  • for example I use cheap VPS for DNS servers for my hosting, also I have my own jabber server, and also backup, backup, backup, lots of backup ;)

• everything you imaging but then less strong

• I have a fun game to do when ever I reach too many idling VPSs.

I start monero miner with each of them and see whos the last provider standing.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited November 2017

Idle VPSes are essentially useless.

If you host a website nobody cares about, that equals pretty much useless.

If you host a website people care about, it's pirated and you'll get kicked, that equals useless.

If you try to utilize the cpu for mining or finding legal aliens like SETI@home, you'll get kicked for resource abuse, that equals useless as well.

Hosting your desktop on a vps is like... I don't have words for it.

All the rest fun is considered illegal, therefore useless for that too.

The only two remaining options, but limited for light usage are dns and vpn.

If you have a particular project that you need hosted you can do that too, but that's purposeful buying and not an idle vps.

The best thing to do with an idle VPS is to cancel it before the next renewal date, You can do something else with your money and not pay for almost nothing. Also make a mental note - to not do the same mistake again.

Thanked by 1southy
  • @Janevski said:
    Idle VPSes are essentially useless.

If you host a website nobody cares about, that equals pretty much useless.

If you host a website people care about, it's pirated and you'll get kicked, that equals useless.

If you try to utilize the cpu for mining or finding legal aliens like SETI@home, you'll get kicked for resource abuse, that equals useless as well.

Hosting your desktop on a vps is like... I don't have words for it.

All the rest fun is considered illegal, therefore useless for that too.

The only two remaining options, but limited for light usage are dns and vpn.

If you have a particular project that you need hosted you can do that too, but that's purposeful buying and not an idle vps.

The best thing to do with an idle VPS is to cancel it before the next renewal date, You can do something else with your money and not pay for almost nothing. Also make a mental note - to not do the same mistake again.

stop being so reasonable...

• @Janevski Heathen!

• HostlovinHostlovin Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2017

I care about my website, my idle vps, and im triggered

• @Hostlovin said:
    I care about my website, my idle vps, and im triggered

• @Janevski said:
    Also make a mental note - to not do the same mistake again.

Got ya!
    For a moment there I thought you are actually serious! Until your last sentence.

• Well VPS can do a lot of things, like hosting your website or game server. But majority of LET likes to idle them.

• IDLE POWER!!!

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

If you set them up properly, you can often get better redundancy and services split across several cheaper-than-renting-bare-hardware. Of course, this means you need to rent from either a large, or knowledgeable service.

I have my DNS split across a couple VPS geolocated in different spots of the world, along with backup MX, and decided upon a cheap VPS for the majority of my web services. By doing this, my expenses are roughly 10% of what I was paying mid-year.

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

If you enjoy collecting low end VPS, make sure IonSwitch is on your list.

• @marson said:
    for example I use cheap VPS for DNS servers for my hosting, also I have my own jabber server, and also backup, backup, backup, lots of backup ;)

how can you use vps for DNS...currently i am using DO mostly

• @seenu said:

actually configuring bind by hand is not so difficult and then make it authoritative by each other, you can also install ready-made solutions like cpanel DNSOnly or DirectSlave if you using appropriate control panel on main server.

• Most of my cheap annuals are VPN's, I tend to have each of my VPNs chained through others (for fun, not tin foil hat reasons).

One of them is a status monitor for the rest and the Dedi & cPanel KVM I have.

• @marson said:

@seenu said:

actually configuring bind by hand is not so difficult and then make it authoritative by each other, you can also install ready-made solutions like cpanel DNSOnly or DirectSlave if you using appropriate control panel on main server.

For fucks' sake. It's 2017. Stop suggesting bind. We have options now.

• WSS said: For fucks' sake. It's 2017. Stop suggesting bind. We have options now.

Can you make some suggestions?