Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Looking for a NAT or dedicated IP OpenVZ UK VPS for watching BBC.

Looking for a NAT or dedicated IP OpenVZ UK VPS for watching BBC.

qzhangqzhang Member
edited November 2017 in Requests

Hi,

I am looking for a NAT or dedicated IP OpenVZ UK VPS for personal VPN usage, mainly for watching BBC iPlayer purposes. At the beginning I try lowendspirit, but they block orders from China. So I switch to the cloudxtiny but they charged a fee for enabling TAP/TUN. Therefore I post my searching here.

RAM = 128MB min, Disk = not important, Port Speed = not important, Bandwidth = 500GB, Virtualisation = openvz, TAP/TUN = enabled,

Can anyone offer me something like that? price range would really appreciated. And also open for any suggestions. I am happy to pay annually and my budget limit is 10 USD per year.

Thanks!

Comments

• bersybersy Member
    edited November 2017

https://www.deepnetsolutions.com/openvz-vps.html CAD $13, which is equivalent to USD $10. BW is 250GB, but I thought, it'd be sufficient in this case, because LES UK box, you've just mentioned, comes with 200 GB BW only.

Thanked by 1davidgestiondbi
  • vmhausvmhaus Top Provider
    edited November 2017

LES has 200GB if you can slow down on those box sets. (doesnt accept from China) As bersy said, GDBI has 250GB a few more box sets than LES.

We could do a KVM at $15/yr with 1TB bandwidth, a little bit over your price point. Unsure if Anthony has anything else,(again China) you may have to wait for black Friday.

VMHaus - High Performance NVMe SSD Cloud Servers, Free Anti-DDoS, Free BGP Sessions
    Follow us on twitter | Network Info (AS136620) | Service Status | Looking Glass

Thanked by 1qzhang
  • bersybersy Member
    edited November 2017

vmhaus said: Unsure if Anthony has anything else,(again China) you may have to wait for black Friday.

I think he does, because LES UK location is operated by @AnthonySmith within my memory.

Thanked by 1qzhang
  • This was already mentioned on LES, but the transaction was declined. Perhaps OP can find a cheap BF deal in the next couple weeks.

I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

Thanked by 2bersy qzhang
  • qzhangqzhang Member
    edited November 2017

Hi,

Thank you @bersy and @vmhaus. I will take @WSS's suggestion and wait to see the Black Friday offers.

Best regards,

• @qzhang said: mainly for watching BBC iPlayer purposes

About a year ago, BBC iPlayer started banning VPN and VPS access.

Thanked by 1qzhang
  • @dcamero said:

@qzhang said: mainly for watching BBC iPlayer purposes

About a year ago, BBC iPlayer started banning VPN and VPS access.

Thank you for the tips @dcamero. I believe they do so. But still some VPN or VPS will survive. I am trying to get one of those.

• You're better off without BBC and their mandatory fake laughs.

• vmhausvmhaus Top Provider

@Janevski said: You're better off without BBC and their mandatory fake laughs.

Haha

VMHaus - High Performance NVMe SSD Cloud Servers, Free Anti-DDoS, Free BGP Sessions
    Follow us on twitter | Network Info (AS136620) | Service Status | Looking Glass

Thanked by 1maldovia
  • You can use cloudxtiny as a shadowsocks proxy and therefore no need to pay for TAP/TUN, just a suggestion
    If you like drop me a PM and I will let you use my Smart DNS proxy until you get a VPS

Thanked by 1qzhang
  • qzhangqzhang Member
    edited November 2017

@Rami said: You can use cloudxtiny as a shadowsocks proxy and therefore no need to pay for TAP/TUN, just a suggestion
    If you like drop me a PM and I will let you use my Smart DNS proxy until you get a VPS

Hi,

@Rami, thank you. I have considered the cloudxtiny VPS with the Shadowsocks. I am waiting for Black Friday to see if there are new excellent deals. With regards to the Smart DNS, I have PM you, thank you very much.

• john564john564 Member
    edited November 2017

Its hopeless, its China after all, not a normal Country. International internet is throttled on purpose.

But if you want cheap server and not blocked by BBC, install a raspberry pi in your family home in UK, then you get domestic IP.

For VPS, Last time I checked, digitalocean UK location worked ok for BBC iplayer

I used to have a slingbox to watch all the stations live, and they throttled the specific connection within hours.

You would be better using bittorrent, an Android TV box would be second choice.

• Hi @john564,

Thank you for the tips. I am thinking about order the openvz VPS from Cloudxtiny and install it with the ShadowSocks. In regard to the raspberry pi, I don't have one. But I do have a openwrt router running openvpn server, and planning to place my openwrt router at my friend's home in UK, to see if it will work.

Best regards,

• I very much doubt that OpenVPN will make it through the GFW.

• qzhangqzhang Member
    edited November 2017

I know. I will run shadowsocks server on it as well.

Thanked by 1i83
  • im8aim8a Member
    edited November 2017

Simply find a shadowsocks provider to help you unlock BBC. They probably can provide you with better price and save you time and hassle setting-up and maintaining the server.

@qzhang said:

I know. I will run shadowsocks server on it as well.

• klikliklikli Member

Sorry for bumping an old thread -- can anyone confirm if LES is still not blocked by BBC iPlayer?

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited April 15

@qzhang said: Hi,

I am looking for a NAT or dedicated IP OpenVZ UK VPS for personal VPN usage, mainly for watching BBC iPlayer purposes.

Thanks!

What do you watch on BBC? We the British people avoid it... [snip]

(mod edit - political talk is for the cest pit and nowhere else, thank you)

Get $25 FREE credit at Upcloud https://www.upcloud.com/register/?promo=H54749 (aff)