Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup Special Offer today 33% off VPS recurring! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup Special Offer today 33% off VPS recurring!

13»

Comments

• @angstrom said:

@WSS said: You need less sugar, and more bran. Glad it worked!

Okay, touché, I guess that I really wasn't paying attention! You win this one.

But by misreading you, I discovered that I didn't need to disable IPv6 autoconf (which I'd prefer not to do). :-)

Less crayon; more wrapper!

• @WSS said: Less crayon; more wrapper!

My mind has been wandering today. I'll stay away from the crayons. ;-)

• Start putting caps on the markers, too. Even if they smell nice, they don't help concentration worth a damn!

• @WSS said:
    Start putting caps on the markers, too. Even if they smell nice, they don't help concentration worth a damn!

One has to be careful with markers. Sniffing crayons won't hurt anyone.

• @angstrom said:

@WSS said:
    Start putting caps on the markers, too. Even if they smell nice, they don't help concentration worth a damn!

One has to be careful with markers. Sniffing crayons won't hurt anyone.

Marbles, however, are an entirely different story.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @angstrom said:
    (I'm running Slackware. :-D )

No shit?!? That still exists? That was my first distro. Must be like 25 years or so. I never really caught fire with it/Linux until a while later though.
    Wow. Unbelievable.

• @southy said:

@angstrom said:

No shit?!? That still exists?

Not really.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited November 2017

@WSS said:

@southy said:

@angstrom said:

No shit?!? That still exists?

Not really.

Don't listen to @WSS -- he's just a Void geek. :-)

There's a small but vibrant Slackware community. Slackware is presently ranked 34 at distrowatch. Compare this to Void's ranking at 103.

Slackware is the oldest, still existing Linux distribution. :-)

• @angstrom said:

"[T]he number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected." (K. Thompson & D. M. Ritchie, UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2ed, 1972)

I see a pattern here :-)

Thanked by 2angstrom WSS
  • @southy said:

@angstrom said:

"[T]he number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected." (K. Thompson & D. M. Ritchie, UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2ed, 1972)

I see a pattern here :-)

I guess that I do tend to like older things, for example, older computers, older mobile phones, older clothes, older music, older furniture, older apartments, and older Linux/BSD distributions. :-)

• ehabehab Member
    edited November 2017

@angstrom said:

but not old women.

• @ehab said:

@angstrom said:

but not old women.

I was careful to say "older" and not "old". :-)

Older women aren't always so bad. :-)

Thanked by 1ehab
  • @angstrom said:
    I guess that I do tend to like older things, for example, older computers, older mobile phones, older clothes, older music, older furniture, older apartments, and older Linux/BSD distributions. :-)

You'll be good as long as it's not "older food, older presidents, older patches"...
    Probably you'll find a museum that has a spot for the strange, old geek with the long grey hair hanging into the coffee mug who fell asleep over his old-style laptop in his wheelchair...

And anyway...

@ehab said:
    but not old women.

...your pattern clearly is different from @WSS pattern: even more obscure distros and - judging by the pics he posts - even more obscure dates.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @southy said: ...your pattern clearly is different from @WSS pattern: even more obscure distros and - judging by the pics he posts - even more obscure dates.

Thanks for not grouping me together with @WSS, who's in a class of his own. :-)

• I don't think Slackware is that obscure. Virtually everyone who got into Linux in the mid-90s ended up using Slackware at least once.

However, blindly taking prebuilt binaries and untarring into root as an installation/upgrade system just.. no.

@angstrom I find it amusing that anyone actually still uses Distrowatch. Do you still finger @kernel.org to check the latest kernel release, too- or just read slashdot? :D

• @WSS said: I don't think Slackware is that obscure. Virtually everyone who got into Linux in the mid-90s ended up using Slackware at least once.

However, blindly taking prebuilt binaries and untarring into root as an installation/upgrade system just.. no.

See http://www.slackware.com/gpg-key . But, yes, I concede that Slackware isn't for everyone ...

WSS said: @angstrom I find it amusing that anyone actually still uses Distrowatch. Do you still finger @kernel.org to check the latest kernel release, too- or just read slashdot? :D

Doesn't everyone read the distrowatch weekly newsletter every Monday morning???

As for kernel.org, it's still your best one-stop shop for fresh kernels. :-) But I confess that I don't go there so often these days: I stopped compiling my own kernels after the 2.4 series. After that, it became too much work for too little added benefit in return!

• @angstrom said:
    See http://www.slackware.com/gpg-key . But, yes, I concede that Slackware isn't for everyone ...

WSS said: @angstrom I find it amusing that anyone actually still uses Distrowatch. Do you still finger @kernel.org to check the latest kernel release, too- or just read slashdot? :D

Doesn't everyone read the distrowatch weekly newsletter every Monday morning???

As for kernel.org, it's still your best one-stop shop for fresh kernels. :-) But I confess that I don't go there so often these days: I stopped compiling my own kernels after the 2.4 series. After that, it became too much work for too little added benefit in return!

So you haven't even built them by hand since the late 90s, but still run Slackware. Is FVWM95 that hard to give up?

• WSS said: Is FVWM95 that hard to give up?

Tell me, how could one not like FVWM95?

I always found the little ghost icon (for Ghostview) cute. The little shark is also endearing!

Ah, memories. :-)

• vmp32kvmp32k Member
    edited November 2017

FVWM95 looks awesomely retro.

Here's my little benchmark of the VPS 1000 G7SEa1 (4 vCore, 4GB RAM, 80GB HDD):

Reading (raw, unencrypted):

~# dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/zero bs=1M count=500 iflag=direct
    524288000 bytes (524 MB, 500 MiB) copied, 7.089 s, 74.0 MB/s
    ~# dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/zero bs=1M count=500 iflag=direct
    524288000 bytes (524 MB, 500 MiB) copied, 7.71808 s, 67.9 MB/s

Writing (on to ext4, encrypted LUKS aes-xts-sha1):

~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test.bin bs=1M count=100 oflag=direct
    104857600 bytes (105 MB, 100 MiB) copied, 1.01979 s, 103 MB/s
    root@sharky:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test.bin bs=1M count=500 oflag=direct
    524288000 bytes (524 MB, 500 MiB) copied, 5.31059 s, 98.7 MB/s

hdparm -t is pretty wonky and most likely incorrect:

~# hdparm -t /dev/sda /dev/mapper/root_crypt
    /dev/sda:
     Timing buffered disk reads: 532 MB in  3.20 seconds = 166.14 MB/sec

/dev/mapper/root_crypt:
     Timing buffered disk reads:  28 MB in  3.28 seconds =   8.53 MB/sec

My homemade naive-ioping:

Ethernet:

~# wget -O /dev/null http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    84.4 MB/s

~# wget -O /dev/null http://speedtest.dal01.softlayer.com/downloads/test100.zip
    6.25 MB/s

~# wget -O /dev/null http://mirror.nl.leaseweb.net/speedtest/1000mb.bin
    19.5 MB/s

~# wget -O /dev/null http://mirror.us.leaseweb.net/speedtest/1000mb.bin
    7.63 MB/s

/proc/cpuinfo:

~# cat /proc/cpuinfo #
    processor       : 0
    vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
    cpu family      : 6
    model           : 6
    model name      : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    stepping        : 3
    microcode       : 0x1
    cpu MHz         : 2593.748
    cache size      : 16384 KB
    physical id     : 0
    siblings        : 1
    core id         : 0
    cpu cores       : 1
    apicid          : 0
    initial apicid  : 0
    fpu             : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level     : 13
    wp              : yes
    flags           : fpu de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx lm rep_good nopl xtopology eagerfpu pni cx16 x2apic hypervisor lahf_lm
    bugs            :
    bogomips        : 5187.49
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

The virtual CPU is missing/not-exposing some important features like AVX and AES-NI. I'm gonna open a ticket later and ask for it to be enabled if possible.

I tried installing Windows Server 2012 R2 with VNC which worked okay, kind of slow IO but that's always been my experience with windows. ;)
    Linux seems to work absolutely flawless.

Quite a bargain for ~50€ a year if you ask me.