Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Strasbourg Power Failure - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Strasbourg Power Failure

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2017

nevermind, old..

• I've got a feeling they're having issues worth NVMe / Ceph again. Because some VPS Cloud servers are still in service mode.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

elijahpaul said: RAID 1 (Hardware). Reckon I'll be ok?!

Good chance you will be fine then, worst case scenario it will require a little bit of a massage but your data will be ok, unless you were running write back with no bbu or something.

• corbpie said: Am i the only one on this site not with OVH?

• @Amitz Oh god dammit just when I finally got over the last batch of shitty trance stuck in my head.

• @AnthonySmith said:

elijahpaul said: RAID 1 (Hardware). Reckon I'll be ok?!

Good chance you will be fine then, worst case scenario it will require a little bit of a massage but your data will be ok, unless you were running write back with no bbu or something.

No, not as far as I know. I'm still hoping that the control panel hasn't been lying to me about my servers being up this whole time, and it's a matter of connectivity.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2017

@PirateHitman said:

@mattwservices said:
    Sounds like someone didn't save the running config in RBX..........

Sounds it.... I've seen this happen so many times in my career which is ridiculous.

Lost power = lost config.

For a large hoster like OVH to do this... This is massive oversight and really shitty.

And that’s why you use Juniper, mmm... I love Juniper and their commits <3

• Sigh. I'm already thinking about reinstalling vps and restoring from backup. That's absolutelu nightmarish project.

• FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member
    edited November 2017

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Lunar said: Then go to AWS and let your bill go up 500% in bandwidth costs alone :)

Well, bad luck all the way.
    OVH tries to make the transition from very cheap to reliable and hike the prices and then this happens.
    This reminds me of a joke:
    -Hey, I notice you are billing me for air conditioning but the room I rented in your motel does not have one!
    -That is the thing, sir, we are gathering money to buy one!

• Most of my servers are back up now in SBG1. No array issues (Thank the Gods!).

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2017

Thats why you have BBU, otherwise you will have a headache.

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

@elijahpaul said:
    Most of my servers are back up now in SBG1. No array issues (Thank the Gods!).

Will you relocate?

But I'm interested here. Who after the incident will relocate?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Vova1234 said: But I'm interested here. Who after the incident will relocate?

Naa, let's be honest, I don't use OVH because of quality, I use them because they are cheap and in doing so I accept the pitfalls, for me, it obviously had no impact as I have a failover system in place.

Anyone that did not have a failover/redundancy is either not doing anything important or their business does not justify it, in which case, a day or so of downtime a year is probably not a big deal anyway given the cost.

• Still 10+ servers down and in maintenance mode. - Phew. But doesn't matter, now it's a good night sleep and then damage assessment first thing in morning. - Phew again.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited November 2017

@AnthonySmith said:

CConner said: It's nice to see that you care about other providers, but I think you should stick to your own business as this just looks like you trying to bring down a company to make yours look better. If your company is that good, you should not need such childish tactics.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2458007/#Comment_2458007

:)

Common man, we all have a dig at the Giants when we can, it does not really mean anything,

And close to all the discussions he started are about OVH.
    Funny stuff. Huh.

Anyway, regarding this incident, I think we generally blame too much, myself included, given their low prices and actually a good service. I wish them the best recovering from this incident.

edited November 2017

Naa, let's be honest, I don't use OVH because of quality, I use them because they are cheap and in doing so I accept the pitfalls, for me, it obviously had no impact as I have a failover system in place.

Anyone that did not have a failover/redundancy is either not doing anything important or their business does not justify it, in which case, a day or so of downtime a year is probably not a big deal anyway given the cost.

The most epic thing is that I have lost access in the morning since the servers in RBX. What server I do not buy on SYS KS always drops RBX, even atoms. Panels, billing and other in RBX and GRA are mostly located.

On the nodes that are in the SBG the current status of the four servers has fallen on the nodes, i7-6700k, 16 vps on each. 16 * 4 ~ 64 vps. Have not yet risen, but I'm not nervous, maybe need to be restored. Judging by monitoring the MRTG server is off. The remaining 3 servers in SBG stood up normally.

In SBG we mainly have i7-6700k servers. And for them the audience of gaming clients minecraft, and they are not really in a hurry to do something, just wait.

In the GRA where we have hundreds of 1245v2 resisted. But this epic came out all and fun. But there were a lot of tickets too. In CIS, half of the sites are hanging in OVH.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2017

Who after the incident will relocate?

I already relocated some personal services from OVH to a Raspberry Pi at home, and to a VPS on my larger home server.

Also turns out having MX1/MX2 at the same DC isn't the best idea, but I was able to rapidly add a third one as the downtime just started.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • elijahpaulelijahpaul Member
    edited November 2017

@Vova1234 said:

@elijahpaul said:
    Most of my servers are back up now in SBG1. No array issues (Thank the Gods!).

Will you relocate?

But I'm interested here. Who after the incident will relocate?

Won't relocate exactly. But will definitely re-evaluate dependency on OVH for anything remotely critical.

EDIT: I'm pissed, I suffered almost 12hrs downtime across 12 servers (OVH/SYS). However I have to keep in mind that you get what you pay for, and it's my own fault for hosting anything of major importance on OVH without appropriate redundancies in place.

• @rm_ said:
    Also turns out having MX1/MX2 at the same DC isn't the best idea, but I was able to rapidly add a third one as the downtime just started.

@elijahpaul said:
    EDIT: I'm pissed, I suffered almost 12hrs downtime across 12 servers (OVH/SYS). However I have to keep in mind that you get what you pay for, and it's my own fault for hosting anything of major importance on OVH without appropriate redundancies in place.

Where's all of the misplaced rage!? C'mon, this is LET. You were/are losing millions of dollars per second you're not able to mine dogecoins, aren't you!?!!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

elijahpaul said: nd it's my own fault for hosting anything of major importance on OVH without appropriate redundancies in place.

Fixed.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • rm_ said: I already relocated some personal services from OVH to a Raspberry Pi at home,

That's the spirit! What's your infrastructure look like at home?

• @AnthonySmith said:

Vova1234 said: But I'm interested here. Who after the incident will relocate?

Very true. Being down for a while is no big issue for me but more of an annoyance. I usually use 4 locations for anything of importance. Today one of them took a hit by a Ddos attack (leaseweb) while at the same time both failover systems in SBG and RBX were down. The one remaining server(i3d) held up luckily but that's walking of thin ice. The fact that 2 of their DCs were down most of the day is a shitty experience. I know they're cheap but it does qualify as a major fuckup and a reason to migrate.

edited November 2017

However I have to keep in mind that you get what you pay for, and it's my own fault for hosting anything of major importance on OVH without appropriate redundancies in place.

I waited an hour, and already collected the dumps in a heap to recover in online.net or in Hetzner, while restoring rbx came to life. And the dependence will also be a little less, in other cases I will make sure of safety.

This incident showed how many and what customers are there. That actually a lot of them.

In general, all fall. And backups solve everything.

• @Maounique said:

elijahpaul said: nd it's my own fault for hosting anything of major importance on OVH without appropriate redundancies in place.

Fixed.

Good point.

• @Vova1234 said:
    This incident showed how many and what customers are there. That actually a lot of them.

If you're going to cancel a fuckton of them- give LET a heads' up this time? Those 4Cs were an awesome deal!

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Those 4Cs need a gbps port, GBPS !

edited November 2017

If you're going to cancel a fuckton of them- give LET a heads' up this time? Those 4Cs were an awesome deal!

It should have been BHS i5-3570s, but it did not work out. We decided to keep them.
    In fact, so far there are not any special cancellations.

For the same action, in February, there were 50 servers repaid at a cheap price of servers and there are no refusals from them.

Customers at SBG have been complaining for a week on the channel that it's downloaded.

I'm not alone, it's still in the team there are people they also resell the servers of different DCs. This is the total number.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said:

CConner said: It's nice to see that you care about other providers, but I think you should stick to your own business as this just looks like you trying to bring down a company to make yours look better. If your company is that good, you should not need such childish tactics.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2458007/#Comment_2458007

:)

I was refereing to Online.net because of what this person said:

@Edward_S said:
    OVH price increase a lot but SYS price still reasonable. Seems now online are more cheaper.

I fail to see how it is related?